Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

Geno Smith is going in the first round. Too many other holes to address with pick 9 to use it on another QB.

Looking in the later rounds; Landry Jones in the second? EJ Manuel in the fourth? Apparently the QB to keep an eye on is Grey from Tennessee. Tall ass kid at 6'6"

2. gohogs14

gohogs14 New Member

NFL.com's QB preview

ht tp://w ww.n fl.co m/draft/story/0ap1000000121092/article/geno-smith-matt-barkley-headline-2013-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

depends, did he cut his flow or no? that shit made him look ugly and i want an ugly QB, im tired of pretty boy sanchez

but on topic, idk if you guys are giving geno enough of a chance. if he fell to us at pick 9 i'd be ok if we draft him. i think we are holding him up to the standard of RG3 and andrew luck, but thats just not possible. lets say we draft him and he is a middle of the pack QB thats capable of winning games, we are already a much better team because sanchez is actually the worst QB in the nfl

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No, he's still got the super groovy 70s hair.

Yes, but you could very well get an elite pass rusher at #9 and add a middle of the pack QB in FA while picking up a developmental QB in round 2 or 3. Drafting a guy in the top ten with the expectation of him being average at best is not good use of our assets.

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah i guess you're right. it just seems like to me everyone is dismissing geno smith like he is absolute trash, but the kid can still ball

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The problem comes from the fact that he does not look like an all world QB. He may be good, or even very good, but you don't want to see. Guy get progressively worse as the year goes on.

At the beginning of the year he separated himself from the pack and then came crashing rights back down to it. He may be the best of a bad group, but I would not place him too far in front of the rest if at all. Good not great may be ok for a safety or a DT, but for a QB it will often not be good enough.

7. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I like Bray's potential, but I also think think that he has dynamic WRs in Patterson and Hunter. In a sense, just with how I think Barkley should have done better with Lee and Woods, I just wonder if those guys hid the flaws in Bray's game. From watching what little tape that is out there, he seems to throw off his back foot a lot, and also throws at low angles at times in an effort to get the ball out sooner.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bray's line was atrocious at times and Hunter and Patterson dropped a ton of passes this year

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

After this bowl season there is only 2 QB's I would be interested in. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma (who plays on Friday) and Aaron Murray QB Georgia.

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of pairing Jones up with a coach like Norv but I think after workouts he'd probably have to be taken in the 2nd round.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm okay with investing a 2nd round pick on Landry Jones. I really think that #9 pick could be used to trade down if someone like Jarvis Jones is there where we could pick up a couple extra mid round picks which would allow us to address multiple needs

12. I don't think you can get too wrapped up in Wins/losses/on the field results w/ QBs. Unless the guy is setting all time records or is a turnover machine, there are too many different factors to consider to judge anything based on general perception.

The Key questions are this:

-Can he make all the throws?
    - Does he display proper technique within throwing/footwork/release point(If not can he learn)
    -Can he read a defense(If not can he learn)
    - Is he a leader of men
    -Is he an all weather player

If the answer to all those questions is yes..given the Jets history,the current state of the NFL & the rookie wage scale...they must pull the trigger on the given QB prospect. Perhaps some of you know better than I, but based on what I've seen from Geno Smith the answer to all of the above is YES

13. Jett

Jett Member

Aaron Murray

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think everyone of those points has come into increasing question for Smith. He looked horrible in his bowl game, started off hot but fell off quickly for the year. He seems to be decent in all areas, but not exceptional in any of them. So now your asking yourself is he the next Jason Campbell? Protects the ball has a good arm, but is not a big time player at the next level? Is that what you want in the top ten? He is a good prospect, but I'm not labeling him a sure thing by any means.

We need a new QB in some form. If he fell to 9? Its most likely the right pick, but I'm not trading up for a guy like smith. In the absence of him at that spot I take the best available pass rusher or OL and Look for a Developmental QB later on.

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think EJ Manuel's stock is going to jump a bit after the combine and his pro-day. I expect him to go in round 4. If he's there, the Jets should consider him.

The guy is a legit 6-5 and 240 lbs. He will run in the 4.6 range. He can make all the throws and is deadly accurate.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The fact that we're all arguing about Geno Smith is probably a pretty good indicator that he's not an obvious franchise QB in the making. The fact that nobody can agree on who is #2 and very few people think there are two top 10 QB's in this draft tells us what we should already know from watching the results: this is a weak QB class after last years extraordinarily strong one.

That's to be expected given the normal distribution of talent and value at the top of the spectrum. Weak follows strong because strong is so rarely available. The fact that people are arguing as much as they are about the value is also partly because very few people can accept the reality that this is not 2012, it's 2013.

The last draft that had this same pattern was 2005. Nobody knew until near the end who the QB taken up high would be. That's because everybody spent a lot of time arguing about the talent levels. The extraordinary 2004 QB draft class left people sure that one of those guys in 2005 was going to be great but nobody knew who.

One of these guys may well be great also but nobody knows who and spending an early 1st round pick next year trying to figure it out is a losing proposition. If the Jets really want a QB next year the thing to do is trade down a couple of times and nab the guy who is left at the end of the 1st round or the beginning of the 2nd. That's where Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Brett Favre were found. Gunners all with flaws all over the place going into the draft to match their live arms.

That's where a smart team will find the gem in this years draft while Geno Smith is struggling with the expectations wherever he lands and Matt Barkley is making the USC recuiters shudder (again.)