Phillip Rivers/Norv Turner combo?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

Between Jerry Jones, the frustration regarding choking, young qbs tearing up the league, and Romo's contract situation, I think there is a good chance he has played his last games in Dallas.

Of course, they could give him a contract extension within the week, there is no way to know what they are thinking.

2. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

He is.

Dallas will keep him. Who is Dallas going to get? Free agent QBs are not the answer. The draft is a crapshoot.

3. 624

624 Banned

Is there honestly a nine page thread over a fucking Steiny tweet?

This kid does not have ANY sources. He's a G rated incarceratedbob.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

here is the latest on Romo.

According to the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys' desire to lock-up Tony Romo long-term "hasn't changed" despite his disastrous performance in Sunday's season-ending loss.

Romo is entering the final season of the six-year, $67.4 million extension he signed in October 2007. It's unclear what the basis for the Morning News' report is, but coach Jason Garrett gave his quarterback an emphatic vote of confidence on Monday. "We have a great belief of Tony Romo as our quarterback," Garrett said. "We all know that we want to take the next step, and Tony is going to be a big part of that going forward." Romo's failures under the bright lights are well documented, while he's just three months shy of his 33rd birthday. There's no doubt the Cowboys would have a whale of a time finding an upgrade, however.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem either way.

Just, I would like to see the Jets investing significantly at the OL. Without adequate protection, Joe Montana will look exactly like Nacho did this season.

And don't give me the stat line. Sure, there were quite a few cases where Nacho had good 6-7 seconds and still threw INT, but his protection wasn't exactly what he had early in his career either. AND he had a sputtering running game too. To me, that is on OL.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah this.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What are you watching? 500 yards and his arm is dead....No, his supporting cast was dead

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Sanchez has never come close to greatness.

Facts and opinions need to be sorted out in ths thread.

Fact: QB's play well into their mid 30's just fine. Does Brady or Manning look like they are slowing down? I would say if you were forced to put an experation on a QB 36 would be the number, and I'd take 5 years of good Qb play any day.

Opinion: Rivers or Romo are bad/good players.

Fact: They are both off the chart improvements over our current situation.

The whole trading Sanchez thing would come down to us having to eat a lot of his contract $ and someone getting a discount on a bad product.

I could see several pieces we might package with Sanchez.
    K. Wilson
    A. Cromartie
    S. Holmes
    Maybe a 6-3 pick.

I couldn't see us doing a Revis trade combo pack though. If we were to trade Revis it would be for a top teir player or a fast rising star.

If we were to trade for Revis I would like to see us either get:
    RB - MJD, T. Richardson, L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles
    or
    D-line - H. Ngata, G. Atkins, JPP, J.J. Watt

People who are saying we would have to trade Revis and Sanchez for Rivers, or Revis straight up for any QB over 30 that you have to pause for a minute to even think about is nuts.

Revis was ranked the best defensive player on NFL's top 100 players. Not the best at his position, THE BEST defensive player in the NFL ranking in at #5. I agree if I knew he was going to pull some more crazy crap demanding a huge deal (which honestly I could see) I would say deal him. Though I would love for him to stay.

I do understand what a lot of you guys are saying about him only being able to cover one guy and everything I do. At the same time it's so much different than what the next 5 best CB's in the league can do. Which is do a really good job but there are always openings they're just small and hard to throw in. Revis actually takes a WR out of the game, to the point he can't be used, which is invaluable. Rex schemes things around this very tactic to make our D one of the best. I think if we are able to retain Landry with the return of Revis this could be huge.

#168 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Rivers at all, but if the Chargers take back Sanchez then I'll be first on line to buy a Rivers jersey.

10. The_Darksider

Does San Diego have a stud QB on the bench that Sanchez can sit behind, or am I missing something? There is NO WAY they would trade Rivers and downgrade to Sanchez straight up. It would involve us paying most of his salary and giving them draft picks, something we can ill-afford to do.

I mean, I would love to get rid of Sanchez but not at the expense of further killing our flexibility, and again, I repeat, there is no way they'd leave themselves with Sanchez as their starting QB banking on a change of scenery to set him straight.

11. The_Darksider

Are the Chargers playing any further games that I'm not aware of? Whatever he's got now is what he's getting. The season is over.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Oh wow, for some reason I was thinking their was another week in the regular season. derp.

13. The_Darksider

Hold on a second -what are we giving up to get Rivers or Romo? Just Sanchez? If we were to trade for either of those guys, we wouldn't have much of a draft left, CERTAINLY not a first round pick like you're referencing up there.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the Raiders had to give up two first rounders for two reasons -- they were desperate for a QB and the Bengals had zero interest in trading him unless they had their demands met.

so, unless the Chargers are intent on keeping Rivers and not trading him unless a team is desperate enough to give up the highest amount possible, you cannot project the Palmer situation onto any other trade possibility because the dynamics won't be the same.

if the Chargers are even considering trading him, they already don't have the leverage that the Bengals had with Palmer.

15. The_Darksider

Romo carries the team? Have you ever seen how much talent they have on offense? The guy is a good QB but he's proven time and time again that he can't win when it counts.

Regardless, just because he can't get it done when it counts doesn't mean Dallas will trade him for a bag of balls. They're gonna want top compensation and they'll get it. The guy is a top 10 QB at most times, and there aren't a lot of those floating around.

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Look at it as a whole....

To me, rivers, with no other changes, gets us easy 10 wins with this schedule

Add a piece or two and jets are perennial playoff team with occasional deep run

All u can ask for

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

31 year old QB that seems to have lost his mojo the last couple of years, has struggled in the playoffs, and is so emotional on the field the NY Press would nickname him Philip Cry Me A Rivers? Yeah don't think so.

18. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

It would make for some fun headlines:up:

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont like this idea for one reason, forget about the imposibilty of it all and the rest of the issues.

my reason is that if rex sucks again next year and we do the same sorts of thing that we normally do they will hire norv this year as oc and then keep him around after rex is let go and promote him to head coach. and i sure as fuck dont want to see that happen.

20. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

I'm not sure what it would take. That's all I can say to that. I think it's possible he can be acquired for relatively cheap, and that if we can, we should jump at the chance. That's my opinion on this. I'd need to be inside the (nonexistant) front office to be able to comment any further.