I think Shonn Greene is gone ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

This is a QB league, please God have the next GM abandon this ground and pound BS. We need a legitimate QB or we will always be on the outside looking in.

Greene needs to be gone, his 3 yards per carry is BS and he sucks.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Adrian Peterson and the vikings say hello.

If the line actually created holes, he wouldn't be running into his own blockers. I mean, if the play is designed for an up the gut run, and he can barely get between the tackles, let alone the line backers, who's fault is that? He used to just pound his way in there to wear down the defense, but lately he's been adjusting mid run and making good moves to avoid hits. I think that he was just trained to run into people because it's part of G&P, like Jones mastered in 2009. I'm not saying he's amazing but he's a good solid back, and losing him would be a shame at this point. He'd have around 1200-1300 yards if our rushing game was clicking all year like it was recently OR if we were ever playing with leads.

#62 Barcs, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. Jet Rider

Jet Rider New Member

I really hope Greene is not with the Jets next season

4. dr.velociraptor

Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the history of the NFL and the Vikings are barely respectable, thanks for proving my point. It's a QB league, just look who wins Super Bowls and who doesn't. You need a complementary running game, not the worst QB in the league and a tough run game.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's one of the best, yes, and he's the reason the Vikes are where they are. Just saying. Ground and Pound can work, although anybody knows you have to mix it up and pass as well. You can have a top 10 QB and not need a great running back. OR you can have a great running back and not have a great QB. It can work either way, it's not pass or bust. Even the Patriots are rushing more than they have in a while. They're something like 7th in the league in rushing. Rush still opens up the pass and pass opens up the rush. Pass first league is a myth, you need both unless you have an elite QB. If you really want the Jets to abandon the strong run, then please explain where we can find this immediate elite QB next year.

By the way "Ground and Pound" is just a catch phrase. All they want is threat to run. We had more pass attempts than rush attempts this year, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

#65 Barcs, Jan 1, 2013
  6. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You aren't winning a super bowl because of a running back. You win super bowls with elite/near-elite QB play. This has been true for nearly 10 years running now. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than Adrian Peterson is a great RB, which I'm not arguing. The point is to win championships.

#66 DevTeam, Jan 1, 2013
  7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Whether Greene stays or goes could most likely depend on what others are willing to pay him and whether his number gets too high. Since I don't see much interest in him being likely, he may well come back at a low number. But basically I agree he's nothing special. Not much need to waste brain power on this decision.

8. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Bingo. Powell has the ability to make defenders miss, Greene does not. Greene is a strict north/south runner who's most effective late in games when defenses are worn down. I have no problem keeping Greene (assuming he comes cheap), but I don't want him starting next year.

9. CurbYourEnthusiasm

I think you can find somewhere in between. The NFL isn't a one size fits all league. Last yr, if the 49ers punt returner and Lee Evans knew how to hold onto the ball/catch a pass, respectively, the two SB teams would've been teams built around solid defenses and run games and not elite quarterbacks.

10. dr.velociraptor

But they weren't, here is a list of SB winning QB's:

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
    Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
    Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
    Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
    Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
    Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
    Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
    Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Aside from Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson (at a time when the league was really resetting the old and newer generation of dominant QBs) it's pretty clear cut that this is absolutely a QB league and either get an elite franchise QB or sit around talking about nonsense like ground and pound getting you a SB win.

11. NYJetsfan56

NYJetsfan56 Member

Ben and Eli weren't really elite QBs during their first super bowl wins.

12. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

IF and a big IF we are gonna abandon the ground and pound bullshit, I think we should re sign Shonn Greene.

13. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Never understood what people have seen in him. Never liked him, never wanted him on the team. Would LOVE to see him gone, finally.

And him being in the top 10 rushing overall only further proves how "loyal" Rex is to playing someone who he's been impressed with at some point. Just as he did with eg. Connor (after seeing him destroy a guy on that scout reel).

Hell, if you pad my ass up and make me run QB sneaks for 15 seasons, that might get me inside the top 10 too - still wouldn't make me the anything more than a piss poor player.

We already have a Greene 2.0 in Powell, if only we could get a stud RB this franchise would be WAY better off, considering we most likely will always have a solid defense with Rex at the wheels.

I'd love to see us go offense heavy on the next drafts, and let Rex do his magic on whatever D we can scramble. With Rex around, having a subpar defense will never be as catastrophic as having a subpar offense.

14. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Eli and Ben were not even close to elite QBs when they won their first SBs. Brady wasn't one either in his 1st SB. You're using hindsight here to validate your argument. Over the past 12 yrs, you could make the case that almost half the SB winning QBs were, at that time, game managers. Over the last 12 yrs, the SB was won 5 times with QBs, again at that time, who were simply game managers/QBs who put up statistically average numbers.

15. dr.velociraptor

Good God... half of them were game managers? LMFAO, not even worth discussing anymore.

Which of these guys were game managers besides Dilfer and Johnson (with arguably the two best defenses in SB history).

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
    Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
    Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
    Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
    Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
    Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
    Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
    Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Jets fans deserve the team they argue for, they pine for Sanchez and seem to never want proven professionals. You guys go back to ground and pound and your 9-7 seasons. I'll pull for legit QB and won't get my hopes up ever until we get one.

#75 dr.velociraptor, Jan 1, 2013
  16. CurbYourEnthusiasm

You don't read too well do you?

Brady's 1st SB season--18 TDs, didn't even pass for 2,800 yards
    Eli's 1st SB season--23 TD, 20 INT, 74 QB rating (that's as bad as Sanchez's '10 numbers)
    Ben's 1st SB season--17 TD, didn't even pass for 2,400 yards

This isn't to discredit those QBs. They played well (well, except Eli who was carried by his defense/run game during the regular season in '07). NONE of those QBs put up the 'guady passing stats' you need today.

I'm sorry, but your argument is completely invalid and predicated on total hindsight that because those QBs are Hall of Famers now, they put up ridiculous numbers during their 1st SB runs. They didn't. They all had excellent defenses and run games. Look it up. The stats don't lie.

17. dankingfish13

dankingfish13 Member

Realllllly?? Or is it April fools already???

18. dr.velociraptor

Ben had a 104 rating when he won the SB and a 65% completion %, pretty damn good, and Eli was SB MVP, both went on to become elite and win multiple titles, just because that was the year or post season run they broke out doesn't mean that QBs don't win Super Bowls, clearly they do.

Completely invalid? Except for two years when there was basically a turnover of elite QBs going on and the teams had arguably the best defenses in SB history every other SB winner going back many decades is to a team with an elite QB.

Your argument is just stupid "they weren't elite yet", WTF does that even mean? If they became elite the next year and won the SB MVP and broke out during that SB run it doesn't hurt my argument.

#78 dr.velociraptor, Jan 1, 2013
  19. dr.velociraptor

OK name one better and I'll make an argument for A Peterson...

20. GangGreenTay

GangGreenTay Active Member

Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith...., Barry Sanders......