I think Shonn Greene is gone ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Dec 31, 2012.

1. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

We need more out of our backs and we aren't going to give up on Powell because we don't know his ceiling yet. So as much as I liked the guy, I think Greene will and should be the odd man out.

Keeping both Greene and Powell as the #1 and #2 (in either order) I don't think can be the attack we need if we are going to stay as a run heavy team.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't see us as being a run heavy team in '13 as the ground and pound, as visualized by Rex, has been ineffective in such a dramatic way as to be professional suicide for Rex to try it again in '13. Rex is coaching for his job next year so, look for a new pov regarding the offense. His job depends on it.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's not that the philosophy was bad it wasn't executed. You have to protect the ball and control the clock in a "GnP" offense. We led the league in turnovers, or near the top.

4. Freeman McNeil

So with the 860, he'd be behind:

Curtis
    Freeman

Who else? Riggins? Boozer?

Sad state of affairs, but he is worth keeping around if he's cheap. His numbers should improve with a better OL as will Powell. Regardless we should bring in someone else to compete for the starting job.

5. Freeman McNeil

One thing I can't stand about our backs is none of them can pass block. We really missed that aspect of LT's and Tony Richardson's game.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Anderson and Murell should be up there.

7. Freeman McNeil

Really good point! I recall when we had Curtis and Freeman that team's had to focus on stopping our running game, (e.g. keeping 8 in the box) that's just not the case anymore. Would love to have that luxury again. It won't happen without an improved OL, but we need the explosive back you're referring to as well.

8. BleednGreen247

that is both hilarious and extremely depressing

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It still amazes me why fans point to the history of the Jets as some sort of milestone when the reality is, even the leading all time rusher or the leading all time passer or the leading all time anything, relative to the rest of the NFL, isn't all that great.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Curtis, Freeman, and Boozer. Riggens is actually 6th behind Snell and johnny Hector. Thomas Jones is 7th.

Greene currently is only 24 Yards behind Adrian Murrell for 9th.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Greene would be an excellent 2nd behind a feature back that we could draft this year. That said, I would rather draft a back in the 2nd or 3rd round

12. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

I agree with this 100%. Shinn looked good behind Jones and Tomlinson.

And I agree 101% with the second half of this post. Im watching the LSU vs Clemson bowl, and I cant help but feeling like Im looking at 2/3 of our first draft picks.

Mingo (obvious) Anybody else watching thins shit. Honestly I think he's better than Jarvis Jones, but dont tell Mayock and Kiper.

Im basing these projections off the CBS top prospect lists, which we all know will change drastically.

Andre Ellington looks as good as any college RB I've seen play in the past three years, against a very good SEC defense. I think he flys under the fly's because hes part of that offense with Sammy Watkins and Tajh Boyd, very Doug Martin/Ray Rice like. A little undersized, but extremely quick, physical, and good at catching the ball as well.

They have him projected to go either second or third round. Id def take him in the third, kinda tempted to take a QB in the second. Tyler Bray would be my choice.

Only reason Id pass on Ellington in the second and risk losing him, they have Ray Graham going in the fourth which is blasphemy to me. Anybody else watch the Pitt Notre Dame game. He made Manti Teo and that great ND defense look soft.

Im also intrigued by Kenjon Barner and Monte Ball. Less than the other two, but there are under the radar RBs up for grabs in the middle rounds.

I just really hope we dont bite on Eddie Lacy "top prospect" in the first. Hes Ingram but worse, anybody can get yards in that system.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Greene is the type of back you want in the second half if your winning, he's not the type of back you want if your down by two scores or more in the second half.

he's a back that likes to drop his shoulder and hit people, and often goes out of his way to do so. In order to flourish though a back like Greene needs a good counterpart in the running game and needs the passing game to be more effective.

What the jets need is a better passing game that makes opponents respect the pass and then follow one of two philosophies with the running game. 1) Use Greene in the first half to wear down the defense with the second more explosive back playing a complimentary role then in the second half making the more explosive back the feature back with Greene playing the complimentary role or 2) do it the other way around with Greene being the featue back against the tired defense in the second half.

Really Greene has not been a bad Running back when you consider that teams are often selling out against the run because they don't fear Sanchez. Not saying he's been a great RB, or would be a great RB with a good passing attack, just saying under the circumstances he's done a pretty good job overall.

14. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

A guy like Greene is a dime dozen. Who cares.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

// thread...

16. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

That's Christy Mack from hall pass ass. She's got interesting tattoos. I needed something to help me forget about this season.

17. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

yep. Greene is only as good as his blocking. Our oline a few yrs ago made him appear special.

18. mute

mute Well-Known Member

resign but hes no starter.

19. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

I agree i think Greeen is the red zone guy and powell is the guy to move it up the fields, and if we can sign Greeen for 2 or 3 years at cheap cost no need to spend draft pick on RB.

20. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Run heavy does 100% work in 2013 (not sure what you mean by as Rex sees it).

Who saw the last two Vikings game? Or any game the Vikings played this season? They got to 10-6 with nothing but a RB. (Harvin but he got hurt)

Washington
    Houston
    San Fran

Are all run heavy teams. You can even say Baltimore since a huge chunk of Flacco's yards come from chucking the ball to Ray Rice. That's kind of a reach though.

But yeah it definitely works, and more to the point if Rex truly is coaching for a job its more likely that we can fix our D (really a patch job, I think, Revis comes back and we get an OLB we're set) and pick up a great back in the draft (Graham, Ellington, Ball, Giovanni whatshisname)

Im hung over. The point im trying to make is we're not stumbling on a franchise QB this year. If its truly playoffs or bust, the best chance Rex has is to do pick up Vick and model our offense around Washingtons.