Interesting Observations While Listening To ESPN Radio Call Of Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 31, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Can we just sum up the thread with these points:

-We were able to win with Sanchez his first two years. His second year here was the most talented team under Rex.
    -In his third year, we severly undercut his talent. While he wasn't elite with Cotch, Bray, and Holmes, he also wasn't a determent or liability to the team. Even so we went 8-8 and had the #1 RZ efficiency, the problem was getting there.
    -In his 4th year, yes the talent around him was drastically reduced, partly by injuries. But he still made stupid throws and mistakes that it seemed he cut down on from his rookie year. He severly regressed and you no longer saw a confident QB.
    -The problems above falls on:
    QB, GM, OC, HC, QB coach, WR, OL, and RB.
    -SAnchez was not holding back an offensive juggernaut, the talent on the offense can be below average and Sanchez can be one of those below average players at the same time.
    -Rich Gannon made the point today, point to a top 15 player we have on offense. Mangold and... Every team in the playoffs right now has a playmaker at either QB, RB, or WR. It is usually QB, but let's run down the list:
    DEN- Peyton among other
    NE-Brady among others
    HOU- Foster and Andre
    BAL- Ray Rice, Smith, Boldin
    IND- Wayne and Luck if you wanna include him there
    CIN- AJ Green

ATL- Ryan, Julio, Roddy, Tony G, Turner
    SF- Gore, Davis
    GB- Rodgers, Nelson, Jennings
    Redskins- Morris, Garcon, RGIII if you want to
    SEA- Lynch, Rice, Wilson
    Vikings- AP which is enough

Now those are playoff teams with me being able to pick position players that are playmakers. If we want to go by offensive position players that are straight up better than our offensive talent, the list would be longer. Now this list doesn't include the othe 19 teams that missed the playoffs. This list include players like Fitz, Calvin, Murray, Bryant, Heath, Chris Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Spiller, etc.

This is part of the story why Sanchez regressed so badly. The other portion is himself. But we all saw why he sucked within himself already. He's late making reads, bad footwork, locks onto receivers, and it all leads to inconsistency. The thing was, he eliminated most of this, elimintaed enough of this for us to be successful. The reason to find out is why he regressed so much. Again, partly is his own confidence and lack of talent, but the other part is the Jets.

We don't want to draft another QB whether it be this year, next year, or the year after and cause the same problems we did with Sanchez. For all we did the first 2 years to help Sanchez, we undid the following two years. Once we draft another QB, the stategy should be load the team with weapons and don't stop loading the team with weapons. It's why Peyton and Brady still get TEs and WRs they want to work with, because you can never surround your QB with too much talent. It's a good method to backup your investment in the QB position.

Prime example is Flacco or Ryan. Ryan has been a regular season wonder but he's a playoff shutout right now. People think this is the year for him etc etc, but he has the 0 playoff wins hanging around his head. He hasn't been in the discussion for a top QB in football in any of seasons, just a very competent one. Yet, the Falcons kept on placing playmakers around him. YOu know why, because it would make him better and it's a backup if he peaked and doesn't improve. An offense with Turner, Julio, Roddy, and Tony G could make it work with Sanchez. Same thing with Flacco. He actually is the opposite of Ryan where he failed to become a top QB, yet that team gets by with Rice, Pitta, Boldin, Smith and Jones because they can carry Flacco and make him decent enough to win games. Flacco I think has 3 out of the bottom 4 worst QBR games this season, including the bottom 2 yet the Ravens went 10-6, won their division, and fired their OC all in one season.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I am a new Jets fan. I started following the team in 2010 with ESPN gametracker, watched all of the games last year while getting accustomed to football in general, and seriously started following the Jets in 2012.

I could see at the end of 2011 that he was regressing rather badly. I know enough about football to know that while we do have practice squad WR's, that's still no excuse to not be intelligent with the ball.

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Sanchez was brutal in a lot of games last season. Although the stats don't show his mediocrity, that early season game against the Raiders really exposed Sanchez as not being a leader. That game I thought was what started him on his downward spiral of inconsistent QB play. So many missed opportunities in the first half to blow that game open. Ugh, I'm still annoyed. Rex was horrible in that one too. Should have been 3-0 and on a roll. Instead we end up 2-3 after 5 games.

4. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to interject here with the Sanchez love.

2009 and 2010 were great, except we won on the backbone of defense and running.

He finished 26th in passer ratings with a touchdown to interception number of negative 7. 2010, 29th with a positive 4. He wasn't exactly taking the league by storm. 2011, at 23.

Lets not making him out to be a victim of the team. He was brought along slowly, with an excellent WR core, running game, and OL. As you DEVELOP, and earn a much higher paycheck, those other areas are going to diminish since you have to allocate your resources. The QB has offset the lesser guys around him with his improvement. Sanchez didn't, which is why he's terrible. It's not like teams have a stud QB, and decide to just reload with top end guys year after year on offense. Even the Patriots go bargain hunting for WRs, so do the Giants, Cowboys, everyone. The Jets started off right by protecting Sanchez, but once it was time for him to step up, he failed.

As for the game, I wouldn't put much stock in this game. They had no real incentive to play, and pretty much anyone worth anything besides Kerley in the WR or TE group was out. So no point to really even watch the tape.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you had a decent post until this stupidity. regardless of the WR problems, neither Sanchez or Sparano have proven that they can perform above mediocrity, so replacing them doesn't doom the Jets to anything. it could very well improve them for the next 5 to 10 years.

your entire premise is based on the idea that Sanchez and Sparano aren't part of the problem and replacing them inherently means replacing them with personnel not as good as either, and yet you have zero to validate such an argument other than fear of setting the Jets back.

6. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Well if he starts next year its because he deserves to start because he won the QB Battle in TC, not because of Rex's loyalty to him. He'll have to win the starting job next year and if Rex or whoever is coaching thinks he deserves to start; then I will support him.

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

It's going to be a very, very long year next year if, god forbid, they bring Sanchez back. All the arguments you see in this threat by deluded fan boys will be the same exact posts they make after each game next season when he sucks just as bad.

If the Jets are going to be awful next year and in a rebuilding phase, for fuck's sake please let it be with anyone but Sanchez.

8. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Well if its a rebuilding phase... wouldn't you want Sanchez to start to get a better draft pick?

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Buttle is a shill,,,so if it was him I take it for what it is worth. The grass is always green here with him and he is just collecting a paycheck. Legreca on the other hand at last tells it like it is,,,but I stray.

I saw the game today and at times the wr were open and Sanchez just sucked. I also saw Edwards make 2 ridiculous catches on horrible throws,,,,Gates made a ridiculous catch on a badly thrown ball and got pounded to the earth for his trouble and I am not sure if he re entered the game as he was shook up,,,after that I saw Jordan white in the game,,,,,,ps Kelley mde a nice catch on a good thrown ball that was reviewed,,but upheld as he got both feet inbounds,,,,,,what I am saying is Sanchez was brutal today. Especially in the second half when Sporano abandoned the running game. We had 110 plus rushing yards at the half,,,,then they let Sanchez throw and it was one ugly offence .

#29 CBG, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Having inexperienced receivers is one thing, throwing in to triple coverage, D-linemen and fumbling 18 times is another.

11. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I cut out most of your quote just for sake of space, but you said it. I believe the offensive staff and receivers are also largely responsible for Sanchez's poor play. The only receiver he looks really comfortable throwing to is Edwards. I think Kerley is good too but he runs the occasional wrong route it seems.

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Watching RGIII last night and that absolutely gorgeous read option offense got me envious of what our team COULD be doing with better talent at QB, RB, and up in the booth. Kaperneack, Wilson and Luck make me feel the same way as well.

I dont care how salvageable Sanchez might seem hes never going to be an elite NFL QB and if this is what we settle for I'll be very sad. Time to get on board with the latest craze.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's going to be a very, very long year next year no matter who the Jets have at QB unless they get very, very lucky on a street FA or rookie.

The argument for getting rid of Sanchez is that there will be no entertainment value at all in watching the Jets suck with him at QB. Pissing off a substantial majority of the fans by playing a QB they want shut with is bad business.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

??Not English ... but I get your point and I've been banging that drum for two months. I don't care what the cap hit is. You eat it, because it's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of alienating 90% of your fan base. Try to quantify THAT cost.

EDIT: And BTW ... Greg Buttle is a complete clown as a broadcaster. Does anyone really take his "analysis" seriously?

#34 truthbtold, Dec 31, 2012
  15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When did David Carr have a top 5 running game, top 5 defense, and the best o line blocking for him?

[​IMG]

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I was at the game and let me tell you. The WR's definitely messed up on various plays in terms of where to line up. BE played his ass off and ran hard. Sanchez cannot be salvaged. He constantly missed guys and continued to make horrific reads. There we various plays that Sanchez overshot his receivers. And more than a handful. Buttle's analysis of that was flat out wrong. I have no idea what he was looking at. And I had excellent seats and a good view. 50 yard line 30 rows up.

17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Agreed Braylon made some nice catches, but it seems like he isn't at the rt spot. I was wondering why didnt Sanchez keep throwing to Braylon, it's bcuz his land marks are not on point.

Also Sanchez made a perfect long throw to Kerley on the side line but JK didnt recognize where he was on the field took a step out of bounds. Good WRS know where they are at all times, I like JK a lot but that was a momentum killer. Sanchez also got knocked on his butt with that throw. These things happen to the Jets often it seems.

The int for td was horrific to say the least. I did like that they tried to throw deep a few times.

Also it seems like Sanchez knows how to maneuver in the pocket as he avoided some sacks, he has shown the ability to extend the play and throw on the run, yet how many boot legs have we called?

#37 azhar80, Dec 31, 2012
  18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

No, it would haunt them for ONE year. Exactly one. No more no less. And we can designate him a June 1 cut which puts $4M into next year.

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Sanchez will be here no matter what. To trade him and his contract away we would have to provide Sanchez and picks. While cutting him would save face with the fans and not alienate Jets fans that are ready to bail on the team, the cap hit of cleaning him out is a huge setback.

We have to hope one of two things happens:

Either we get really lucky with a street FA or later draft round QB

We get someone like Turner or another OC with miracle-esque abilities that can turn Sanchez around.

While I do believe Mark is broken to the point of no return, if we don't end up in either scenario, we will be drafting top 10 again next year. And while we need some extra picks to start a good rebuild, I'd much rather be drafting 26 or higher cause that means we had a good season.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Who is our WR coach ???????