Tannenbaum will not return to the Jets in 2013

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSJETSJETS17, Dec 31, 2012.

1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Nobody is disputing the good job Rex did the first two seasons. Let's focus on the past two seasons and how you see him as HEAD COACH going forward.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Well, considering the fact that the team has shit for talent, I think he did a pretty good job. He obviously needs to work on things, but I still think that Rex is a good choice for coach.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

idk why you guys are hating on rex ryan and making such a big deal about it. its not like the guy doesn't have a resume and is really bad like a romeo crennel. im sure the GM looks at rex as a more than capable HC than most.

ive only been here for a few months and i realized you guys are never happy, like jeez

4. major33

Well then, you need to change part of your signature. :)

5. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I think most GMs in the league would love to have Rex Ryan as a coach. The guy is smarter than our idiot fan base gives him credit for. New GM needs to come in and stock up on talent and Rex just needs to find the right OC to run the offensive side of the ball. I think this mess will be fixed.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I just think the thought that he won with Mangini's players is offbase because well he didn't. I also think the whole Sparano thing is misguided. There really weren't many other OC's out there last year if I remember ocrrectly. Veto Sparano and be left with promoting Cavanaugh sounds even worse.

Again, I put talent acquiosition more on Tanny than Rex, like any successful organization has it. If we had the talent and we were underperforming with talent, then yes Rex should go. But right now, we did where about people thought we would with bad talent.

If a new GM wants a new coach, definitely go for it. But no need to fire him without the GM voicing who he wants. We are in an unique position where the HC has actually been succesful overall with the team and the defense's ability rests on his shoulders. The new GM might want to concentrate on offense and let Rex be Rex with his defense. This would be an acceptable reason and a reason why we have Rex still. It would be worse if a new GM came in saying, I wanted Rex as coach but you fired him than a new gM coming in and saying, I don't want Rex and Woody saying Ok, he's gone.

7. displacedfan

Don't know where to throw this tweet, but speculate:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Jets have 1 pm staff meeting. Jets owner Woody Johnson is in team's training complex when many did not expect to see him till Thursday.

8. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Great news. Tanny made his own bed here and it was time to go.

He was absolutely awful the last 2 years, many of his moves being total head scratchers, culminating in the Tebow move which was the straw that broke the camels back.
    Let's compile a list of mistakes made that warranted this ousting.

• total neglect of WR corps. Letting Cotchery, Edwards go. Signing Santonio to stupid contract, Burress was a short sighted mistake as well. Drafting Hill..remains to be seen but did not make the immediate impact we thought he would. Would have been nice to retain Brad Smith as well.

• Total neglect of Offensive Line. Not addressed at all in draft or free agency. retaining Hunter and even sort of lucked out with Howard. Could have been way worse. Drafting Vlad and riding Slauson to the end only because Vlad was so raw.

• failure to bring in impact player at RB to replace the production of Thomas Jones and LT. McKnight was marginalized as an every down player for some strange reason, Drafted Bilal Powell..very average guy. Greene was always just ok but Tanny treated him like he was an elite back.

• Obviously, trading and wasting picks for Tebow and undermining an already under confident Mark Sanchez. Inviting more of a media circus to an already scrutinized franchise. Total train wreck of a move. Maybe the worst in NFL history.

• Replacing a terrible OC-Schotty with an even worse OC-Sparano. I would not have believed that anyone could be worse than Schotty but Tanny managed to do just that.

• Let Weatherford walk to Giants, didn't seem to care much about having a quality punter or depth on special teams.

• Totally lost the pulse of the head coach and the chemistry he was trying to create here. Failed to resign too many core players and contributors and restock team with complimentary role players.

9. displacedfan

Another tweet: Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
    RT @RapSheet: Jets coaches have a staff meeting at 1 p.m. where they will find out more about their future.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Guessing it looks something like this:

[​IMG]

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

- Traded up and drafted Sanchez
    - Never brought in a viable backup plan, despite Sanchez play degrading
    - Extended and guaranteed Sanchez instead
    - Traded for Tebow, and adverse media attention, while still having no backup QB plan
    - guaranteed contract for a guy like Holmes
    - poor personnel evaluation

Those are the moves that will get you fired, and rightfully so.

When a GM can't address QB position, they usually get the boot.
    That said, Tanny's entire time with the Jets wasn't all bad. I enjoyed the new energy and some moves in 06 and 07 in particular.
    He really just shite the bed when it came to QB strategy.

Glad Ryan is likely to be retained.

#151 BacktoQueens, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. BTC

BTC New Member

Just few quick points.....

1) Fuck off Tannenbum

2) Dont let the big green door hit you in the ass on your way out.

3) Enjoy retirement because you should never work in the NFL again.

4) Fuck off

5) Fuck off.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Last 2 seasons the Jets somehow won 14 games with QB play among the worst i've ever seen. Not sure any coach would have had much success with that play.
    I see Rex as absolutely the right HC going forward.
    He does need help on the offensive side of the ball, no doubt. Bring in Norv as OC and Assistant HC, and hopefully this new FO can finally find a QB.
    Until a capable QB is brought in here, i don't think any coach will go the distance.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Perfect GIF to describe the situation, or at least what will happen for all of the offensive staff.

15. displacedfan

Jane McManus ‏@janesports
    Woody Johnson is in the building, but not scheduled to address media on Tannenbaum firing, and whoever else he may be firing at the moment.

If I'm near my computer, I'll keep on posting tweets from the beat writers

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why Rex gets a pass. The 08 and 09 Jets were among the most talented teams in the league on both sides of the ball. In 08 Favre's arm crapped out in 09 our D was torched in the second half of the AFC finals. Nice job in 10 with a team on the decline but they didn't show up for the AFC finals. Not sure what Rex did that Mangini didn't do? Mangini took a bottom 5 team in talent to the playoffs in 06.

Last year they tanked down the stretch and this year they tanked down the stretch against terrible competition. Rex has proven that he can't pick staff and he can get mediocre results with mediocre talent and good results with good talent. We need staff on the O side of the ball Rex has proven twice that he sucks at that. We need staff on special teams and we need a HC who can be involved in drafting players to fit an organizational scheme. Rex has proven he can't do that.

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but I still don't hear you - or anyone else for that matter - answering a simple and relevant question:

"Who is available, and that we can realistically get to come here, that is an upgrade from Rex?"

18. major33

I agree with a lot of things you say, however, I disagree that we can go forward with Rex only concentrating on the defense. If that's the case, then demote him to DC. This is the big problem I have with Rex. The embarrassing decisions he's made with regards to the offense during the past two seasons. He's the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. The buck stops with Rex, not the OC. Rex is the one answering the questions on Monday.

Also, if you and the other Rex supporters keep citing the stellar job he did during the first two seasons, then you also have to credit Schottenheimer and Mark Sanchez. So why was Schotty run out of town? Why is Sanchez being run out of town now? Shouldn't Sanchez get another chance?

Sanchez the QB. Schotty the OC. Rex the head coach. All 3 did relatively well during the first two seasons at their respective jobs. All 3 did mediocre at their respective jobs last season. Sanchez and Rex were terrible at the respective jobs this season. Why does Rex get another chance at his job while the other two are and have been run out of town?

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry Barcs but my experience tells me again the NYJs have done it incorrectly & what Woody has now created is on going strife between whomever the new GM is & RR JMHO :sad:

20. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Peace out Tanny.