Offseason Wishlist (Official Thread?)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by k311, Dec 30, 2012.

1. k311

k311 Member

So now that our season is officially over and we have until August before we watch the Jets suit up again, let's start talking wishlists. What do you all want to see happen this offseason? Some of the items are obviously on most/all people's minds, but others will be up for debate.

Me? I'd like to see the following happen:

1. Fire Tannenbaum - This needs to happen tomorrow (Black Monday). This guy has put us in major cap hell and made one of the worst moves ever in offering Sanchez that damned extension for no frigging reason whatsoever.

2. Fire Sparano, Cavanaugh and Degugliemo - All of these moves should happen tomorrow also. Waste no time. Cavanaugh and Degugliemo are responsible for a lack of player development at their positions in a big way. Sparano... well I think we've all seen this year why Sparano needs to go. The awful decisions he made as a playcaller would've crippled a good offense, so the personnel issues he faced are not an excuse to me.

3. Retain Rex - Some folks are calling for Rex to go, but I don't buy it. The guy clearly has not had his way with personnel decisions in terms of both players and coaches to hire. If he had his say, I doubt Tebow or Sparano would be here, among other things. I wouldn't want the new GM to feel like he was saddled with Rex, but I have to think that most GM candidates would feel like having Rex is a positive aspect of the Jets' current situation.

4. If you're not going to play Tebow, trade him - At this point, it feels like a certainty that the Jets will be trading Tebow, likely to Jacksonville. I am in the minority of folks where I feel like Tebow should be given a chance to play "regular quarterback" as the reports put it earlier this week. Hell, it can't possibly be worse than how bad Nacho has played. We have zero idea of how Tebow would function in a normal offense with a decent WR group for the Jets. But, if you're not going to give him a shot, trade him elsewhere and get something of value in return, hopefully a draft pick or two. Which brings me to....

5. Get rid of Sanchez - This really should be #2 on this list right behind getting rid of Tannenbaum. If some team is willing to take on a portion of his contract, dump him as fast as possible. I can't see too many folks disagreeing with this. I'd take a bag of used footballs for Sanchez at this point....

6. Mass Dump & Trade - In no particular order, the Jets need to trade or cut: Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, David Harris, Clyde Gates, Lex Hilliard, Kyle Wilson, Eric Smith, Shonn Greene, Vlad Ducasse, and Joe McKnight. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at the moment. Most of those guys I'd imagine you could get some trade value for, which would be great. Either way, I'd be happy if none of those names were on our roster for 2013.

7. Trade down in the draft/acquire more picks - If there aren't enough other criticisms of the way Tannenbaum ran things, his habit of trading away draft picks is another thing that has brought this team to the sad place where they are today. Whoever the new GM is, it would likely benefit this team if we acquired a bunch of draft picks through trading players and trading down in the draft. By losing today and bumping us up to the #9 draft pick, hopefully we can get some value from some team wanting to move up in the draft. The Jets need young talent, and that comes from the draft.

8. (Amendment) Keep Braylon Edwards - I think it was a mistake to let Braylon go the first time and I think the Jets would be making a mistake twice if they let him go again. He was one of, if not the only, guy out there today playing hard. With the WR group we have looking the way it is, we could really use a full season of Edwards next year.

So what say you all? Agree? Disagree? We've got a long 8 months ahead of us to watch this disaster unravel, so let's have at it...

#1 k311, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

A new QB to compete for the starting job, if we don't draft a QB in the first round.

3. k311

k311 Member

I earnestly hope we don't draft a 1st round QB this year. We likely won't be rid of sanchez (despite it being on my wishlist) and there isn't a QB in this draft that really stands out to me as a must-have guy.

4. GeorgeJETSon

GeorgeJETSon Member

Agree with every one on your list, particularly keeping Rex. The fact that this team won 6 games is a miracle - can't believe they beat anyone. Faith in Sanchez was simply a recognition that Tebow is a steaming turd. Then as much turnover/health competition as possible would be a huge step forward for this team.

5. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

I don't either but u never know this is the new York jets we are talking about:up:

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Fire Tanny.
    Get a great GM candidate- Gamble, DeCosta
    Sign an innovative OC
    Overhaul this offense
    Draft Gio Bernard

Most importantly, find a FRANCHISE QB.

(and yes, I know the last one is very unlikely)

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

While 5 would be agree, it is a wish and lot easier said than done. Not many if any teams will want Sanchez. It seems more likely he will be a highly compensated backup.

Getting rid of Scott, Pace, AND Harris leaves us 0 LBs. You realize how many holes that creates? Harris is staying and should stay.

Why in the world are Vlad and Kyle getting cut? That just creates more holes for players on rookie contracts. Cutting them makes no sense currently to create more holes.

McKnight doesn't make much sense either in addition with Greene because that leaves just Powell as our starting RB with no second back? Also Greene is a FA, we should resign him since he won't be much to get. McKnight could be one of our most

Aren't Gates and Hilliard minimum wage or close to minimum players? Unnecessarily creating holes again.

Scott, Pace, and Smith all make sense since the value of their contract are so high, it's worth it to cut them to save money.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Cool with all except Number 3. Rex's loyalty supercedes his desire to win. Examples: Sanchez and Schottenheimer.

9. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with David Harris?

Edit: Also, resigning Revis should be a HUGE priority. If that doesn't happen this offseason, he should be traded and Wilson can't be hauled away.

10. k311

k311 Member

Agree totally. This is a wish list after all!

I put all of these guys on the list knowing that they obviously won't all go. But having a number of those names going and some staying will help the team.

Gates and Hilliard, despite being cheap, are awful and need to go.

11. k311

k311 Member

Considering what has "come out" recently about Rex wanting more control from Woody/management, I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was supporting his staff in public despite what he may have felt about them in private...

12. Axel3419

I agree 100% with this.

13. k311

k311 Member

You know, I could go either way on this. On the one hand, Revis is the best corner in the league, and his benefit of being on the field is unquestionable if he can be 100% healthy in 2013.

On the other hand, we will/should be in major rebuilding mode next year. It may benefit this team more to trade Revis for some high value draft picks and infuse young blood in to this team.

I lean towards keeping him in hopes that he will be healthy, but there is a case to be made for the other side too.

14. Axel3419

Also, IMO, if Revis is healthy and we resign him, I believe Cro should be traded since his value is at its peak right now. I don't love Wilson but having Revis and Cromartie is a luxary we don't need right now with the other holes we have.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Actually, I would trade Cromartie and use $$$ to sigh Revis & Landry

16. GeorgeJETSon

GeorgeJETSon Member

People around here act like high profile trades happen often in the NFL. They don't.

17. k311

k311 Member

Agree with both of you. Who we re-sign dictates who we can/may trade at CB.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

-Get rid of Tanny and Cavanaugh

-Keep Rex

-Get a GM (whoever is Ozzie Newsome assistant is)

-Cut/don't resign the following Mardy Gilliard, Eric Smith, Mike DeVito, Bart Scott, Brandon Moore, Bryan Thomas, Shonne Greene, Jason Smith

-resign the following Dustin Keller, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Braylon Edwards

-In free agency sign the following (at a reasonable price) Rashard Mendenhall, a vet o lineman, blocking tight end

-Let McElroy start and bring in a vet to back him up, who is also capable of stepping in in the event McElroy plays like Sanchez or gets hurt.

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

No, say it isn't true, not Rex, not any other NFL HC. Can't be!

20. k311

k311 Member

Your sarcasm is noted when I say this: Him defending those guys despite his personal opinion was the right thing for him to do. Regardless of how he feels, bashing the people on your team, be they coaches or players, will accomplish nothing.

People take everything every NFL person says as 100% truth and then form all these convoluted opinions around that notion.