The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He's got to be worth at least as much as John Abraham was for us, no?

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Cromartie replaces Revis, Wilson slides into the #2 role and we use the picks on a decent pass rusher, and all of sudden we don't need a corner that can lockdown a receiver for 7 seconds, we only need one that can do it for 4 or 5. Or we don't even need to blitz, we can bracket a receiver, double cover them, etc.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Healthy, at least as much.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I doubt that move. Their secondary has played well. Winfield should be in the pro bowl and their first round pick Harrison Smith has been beast. Watch out for Vikings defence next year.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

For us -- sure. The question however is how much he'll be worth for another team.

Given option, I'd trade him for as many picks as possible, not necessarily high ones. Something like 2nd + 5th + 6th or 3 + 4 + 6. First, with Jets' general inaptitude in talent picking, the more chances they have to play with, the better likelihood of picking someone valuable. Second, if there is a clear star coming in future draft, you could combo those picks for a 1st-rounder.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Right on point here.

The problem is that the Jets relied too much upon Revis' strengths. No one can do what Revis does so that becomes a crutch for your team, essentially a weakness.

7. Not only does moving Revis bring in more ammo in terms of draft picks and/or players..it also free's up cap space. Makes alot of sense.

Jets can't appear too desperate or they'll lose negotiating leverage.

8. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Package Holmes into the deal. The injury to foot, hold knee and project ball to other team was defining character of uno cero.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis trade value at the moment isn't great. What team wants a player who will want franchise QB money to play CB coming off an ACL?

10. jack handy

jack handy Member

can someone give me a picture of what he will do to the cap when we try to resign.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I definitely think we can get a mid 1st and maybe a 4th... With that pick, you can either trade back and turn that into a 2nd, 3rd and 4th, or you can maybe draft someone like Chance Warmack who will be your starting left guard for the next 10 years and play at a probowl level... All the while saving 10 million in cap room for the next 4 years.

Give a new GM the opportunity to rebuild this offense with that much more and it would seem more enticing too.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Our best deal for Revis would be to find a team with a top 6 pick this year and let Revis go to them for their 2nd and a conditional 2nd in 2015 if he does not play for them in 2014 or 1st in 2015 if he signs with them prior to the 2014 season or plays any downs for them in 2014.

That gives the Jets two likely shots at picking up a cheap franchise QB in the early 2nd round. Alternately it gives them a shot at one next year plus an extra 1st rounder in 2015.

That's how you turn Revis almost inevitable departure into a plus.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Maybe the Lions? There pass defense is awful and could be a definite contender with a great CB like Revis. I might try and get another 3rd or 4th out of them this year as well.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Exactly. This is the worst time to trade Revis, plus he's on the last year of his contract. Cromartie is the one with the real trade value. He just made the pro bowl.

15. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

when i first thought of trading revis i felt sick to my stomach, trading a hofer in his prime? however after this year sans revis for most of it and still being a top 5 d i can see that he will draw more value trading him for a number 1 and 2 but only that, if we cant get a 1+ we dont trade him

realistically, i dont think coming off an acl injury we will be able to get a fair deal for him so this is what i think we should do

keep him, show to the league that he is healthy and dominant again, and at the trade deadline a team that is '1 piece away' will give us a boatload of picks for him, which could enable us
    a . move up in the draft to get a franchise qb in 2014, or
    b. stockpile young talent.

I used to be in the camp that having revis was absolutely essentail for our sucess but after seeing our defense this year it is clear that he is a luxury and not a neccesity.