Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think you assign a Sheriff or local Police Officer to the grounds, not hire a security guard. you increase the local law enforcement force, which pleases them, and get appropriately trained personnel to handle the task.

if we are serious about keeping children safe at schools, which lets be honest are extremely vulnerable places, then it is worth a little extra sales tax or property tax to cover a few extra law enforcement officials on the payroll.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

The NYPD has a moonlighting program for their cops. Business are free to hire them off-shift to guard their premises and get paid while still wearing their NYPD uniforms and department issued weapons. Walk into most TD Banks in Manhattan and you'll see one of those cops

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It's not a terrible idea. I think it does have to be legit law enforcement. Like someone said: security guards aren't really trained. The only question is how much is it going to cost to have at least one on duty fully trained police officer five days a week patrolling a school for every school in America. I don't even know how many schools there are. Hundreds of thousands? Millions? No clue.

I'm on record as being against people being able to obtain military style guns. Hunting rifles and even hand guns as long as both have limits on the type of ammunition, modifications and clip size are okay with me. I just don't see why a regular civilian needs a assault rifle with heavy caliber rounds capable of firing 100 rounds in the span of a few seconds.

But if Americans aren't willing to accept something like that then the only real choice is something like this. The idea of having teachers come to school with concealed weapons sounds stupid to me seeing as you would have a mixed range of training, types of weapons and not to mention to potential accessibility from students or outsiders to the weapons depending where/how they are stored.

I hope it doesn't get to the point where all schools in America have a designated armory, but it seems to be heading that way. Which is both sad and, from my perspective, kind of funny but not in a "LOL" type way. I'm not really that religious or anything but to take God out of schools and put guns in them seems kind of the opposite of what America's founding fathers would have wanted.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

QFT...hear hear

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Well it seems the NRA agreed with me.

Except I say give the security jobs to veterans who need employment.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I wanta cop at every school. In Newtown, we have 7 schools. 27000 residents. We can pay the cop, lets say 70k a year. Thats 490k annually. Divied by 27000 residents works out to about 18 bucks per person per year. So I have 4 kids and a wife. So I have topay for 6 peeps. $108per year. Im in. Andif someone who doesnt have kids wontpay 18 bucks per year for the cop, they shoyuld be hung up by their balls or vagina and tortured.

7. jonnyd

Itll be just like property tax. When people arelooking for a home, one of the important factors is how much the property tax is. Well now they'd also have to look into the "school protection tax". Too highin one area? Buy a house somewhere else.

8. GordonGecko

Odds are Newtown will staff every school with a cop, and probably danbury & southbury / middlebury too. But places away from this carnage won't be so quick for budgetary reasons

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

70 grand a year plus lifetime pension and health benefits for a vast army of new civil servants who, statistically speaking at least, will be on paid retirement, giving how vanishingly unlikely it is for this kind of thing to happen. There are thousands of communities throughout the US that are struggling with legacy costs for their retired civil servants.

Again, if the NRA is going to pay for it, and lets be clear this kind of thing happens just as often in shopping malls and movie theaters, so they need the same protection, and pay for that too, I'm in. Otherwise, we need to address the guns.

#509 Dierking, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Lets put a cop at movie theaters, schools, where else?...You know you do realize if it isnt schools then it can be something else?

Do we put a cop at Day Care now too? Killers will always find something else...We need to get to the root of the problem in this country.

We have plenty of case studies to refer to around the world, especially Australia's ban on assault weapons in 1996 and the results from it

I dont like the fact that we are arming people with more guns...First a ban on assault weapons need to be done. This NRA chief or whatever his title is is a dope

11. jonnyd

oh dude, Im ALL for addressing the guns.The cop is an interim measure of security

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

understood. I'm okay with that scenario.

13. GordonGecko

I bet there's more than one cop right now at every single school in Newtown right? People aren't going to be happy if they try to all leave and they'll probably end up with a permanent position

14. jonnyd

I was at my kids' school today for a xmas party. there were 3 cops just inside building by the office. 2 from Stamford and one from Easton.I watcheda bunch of kids interact with themand they loved it.Both the kids and teh cops. No kids are afraid of cops as some have suggested. Aandas a parent, I did not mind their presence at all

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ok. Let's start with the fact that you aren't competent enough to realize that "assault weapon" is a COSMETIC term...let's not get into Constitutional ignorance.

The simple fact is crazy people do crazy things, blaming the manner is...not logical.

This guy could have torched his mother and driven a car through a playground with the same results...

So what then, ban matches and cars?

Oh, and BTW case studies boy, what does the FBI uniform crime statistics tell us about the self defense use of firearms....just asking?

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

No Hobbes, it is logical. Are you saying there are more crazy people in the US then in Australia, India, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Canada, Portugal, England, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Belguim, Taiwan, New Zealand, Austria, Holland, France, Greece, Hungary, Switzerland and every other Western Civilized nation on the planet? Because we have more people killed in this country by guns then all of them combined. At some point you have to stop defending the means and focus on the issue of just giving access to guns to whoever wants them. You can use all the hypotheticals you want but the bottom line is he didn't torch his mother and drive his car into a playground. He murdered his mother with weapons from her home and broke into a school and murdered 20 6 and 7 year olds by shooting them at close range.

Yes self defense... like this animal who executed two teenagers that broke into his home. It wasn't enough to shoot them and harm them, he had to execute them after they were both clearly immobilized. And OBTW neither of the teens had a weapon on them.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ed-teens-in-break-in-charged-with-murder?lite

He's getting his though... enjoy the rest of his life in prison

Or this asshole in Florida who executed a teen because of loud music... shot multiple rounds into a car full of teenagers because "he thought he saw a gun"

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...or-loud-music-mirror-image-of-the-Martin-case

17. colleen74

colleen74 Member

The cop thing isn't really a solution. Had there been a cop at the front entrance of that school Friday, he would have gone to the back entrance. Schools are huge, some are twice the size of a mall and have multiple points of entrance. What is one cop going to do?

18. jonnyd

he would havegone to the back but the cop perhaps would have shownup after he only killed 5 kids or 10 or 15. Its not worth saving the additional lives??

Another gunman randomly shot and killed 3 peoplea couplehours agoin rural Pennsylvania where IM sure 80% of citizenshave guns. Andthankfully, good guys with guns killed the gunman.The good guys with guns were policemen.

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think both sides can pull articles and examples of both reasons to own guns and reasons not to. Going case by case to make a point is never going to go anywhere.

I would like to here a reason as to why bans on high capacity clips and the cosmetically termed assault rifles doesn't make sense. Gun rights enthusiasts are quick to use the "you don't outlaw cars because of DUI" example, but there are all kinds of regulations for cars that are in place for protecting the rest of society.

20. jonnyd

We have to spend more money identifying and treating mental illness.We also have to ban certain guns. We also have to add security around my most precious resources. The answer is clearly not one dimensional. Oh, and FUCK the NRA!!