The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

It isn't meaningless, the vast vast majority of QBs drafted this late never go on to do anything in the NFL, and for good reason. It doesn't make sense to cite the one guy who did and make him the rule when he's really the enormous exception.

I'm going to the game on Sunday and I hope to God McElroy proves me wrong and is Tom Brady part II, but looking at him physically, where he was drafted, and his scouting report I expect very little.

To me it's a showcase of whether or not he's the backup in 2013 or if they cut/trade all 3 QBs and start over.

#121 dr.velociraptor, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You again miss the point. the point is it is an error to speak of McElroy as if all we know about him is that he was picked in the seventh round.

3. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Where are you sitting?

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

so he was a 7th round pick. suckchise was a 1st round pick, and got WORSE every year since. at least greg can work on improving arm strength, if he needs to. as long as he manages the offense, and doesn't give the ball away, we are already millions of dollars ahead on the cap. remember, brady was 6th round, unitas was steelers cut and playing sandlot ball when colts signed him, warner was undrafted and bagging groceries in iowa. room was also undrafted. point is, McElroy can get better and did not cost team much, unlike suckchise, or vick, Fitzpatrick, kolb, etc.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is funny

[​IMG]

6. I Am The Stig

Makes sense though, the world can't handle the emergence of Greg McElroy.

7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

LOL, wouldn't it be funny if this is the 'enlightenment for the human race/new age' that the Mayans were talking about.

Maybe GMac comes out above and beyond Tom Brady and the Jets dynasty can officially begin.

8. I Am The Stig

Considering that Joe Namath was McElroy's idol I wonder if he can bring the same attitude Namath brought to the offense. I mean Moore did say that Greg was cocky so maybe he can.

9. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

• How much has arm strength helped Sanchez?
    • How much has arm strength helped Tebow?
    • This team wants to be a slowly-but-surely-suffocating-you-team
    • That requires a dominant defense, strong running game, accurate passing and ball security
    • The deathblow to both Sanchez and Tebow is their lack of accuracy
    • A second, and even bigger, deathblow to Sanchez is his lack of ball security (part of which comes from not reading the defense properly/decision making)
    • Therefore, it is nothing short of fucking comical that McElroy was known in college for his accuracy, ball security and ability to read defenses/decision making
    And no, I'm not saying McElroy college version will just hit the ground running in the NFL.
    But his trademark playing style will most likely be the same, and I would love to see what he could develop into from a big sequence of games.
    Theoretically, if he can be the same type of quarterback he became in college, I can't think of a better match for the type of football Rex wants to play.

And if it's one thing Belichick has become aware of, is that the draft is a fucking lottery. He knows it's a better strategy to get a large number of draft picks and just see who pans out, regardless of what your draft number was.

#129 Swedish Ale, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Looking at McElroy's college stats of the two years he started I don't understand how he was a 7th round pick. Because he had good running backs? In his last season he was top 5 in every qb stat in his conference and had a 70% completion percentage.... Only knock I've read is his arm strength which looking at his highlight reel, I don't see a lack of.

11. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

A couple of extra stats that you may not have seen: Something like the lowest interception to TD ratio in SEC history (I forget the exact stat), despite a respectable YPA. Also, has only lost a total of three games since the eighth grade. (Oh, and a 67% career completion percentage and a national championship.) I'm with you. I don't know why he got drafted so low, even with less than a cannon for an arm.

12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Great Post.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That is just awesome! :rofl:

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. If he can be the next Chad Pennington we should all be ecstatic.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

McElroy! McElroy! McElroy!

I ain't expecting anything, I'm just STOKED to watch someone other than Sanchez or Tebow under center. Lets GO!

16. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

who cares about arm strength, Sancho's problem was he had the slowest release I have even seen. He was always late with the getting the ball out.

And we don't have anyone to throw deep too on the roster right now anyway, Hill can't catch and Holmes is hurt.

17. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

they need to play to mcelroys strengths

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this. i believe c.p. is mac's ceiling. but a healthy pennington with a good to great defense can be a winning combo.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm all for Greg finding success with us. All for it.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

So you're saying we won't see much, then. Gotcha..