Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In hindsight, it's too bad we couldn't grab someone like Russell Wilson, Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins in last year's draft. However, it does show us that a rookie QB picked in the mid rounds could have an impact - not saying every one will step in and be Russell Wilson, but it seems like rookies are more and more NFL ready. Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Cousins & Foles all looked far better Sanchez did this year... So in this year's draft, who are some guys who could be taken between the 2nd and 3rd round or maybe 4th round that look like good prospects that have a chance to play well pretty early on or develop into a good starting QB?

Draft gurus, this is for you especially because I haven't seen much of these guys, but who do you like for the Jets, why and in what rounds?

Geno Smith, West Virginia - He might be more like a 1st round option
    Matt Barkley, USC - He seems more like a 1st or early 2nd round option
    Mike Glennon, NC State
    Tyler Wilson, Arkansas
    E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    Landry Jones, Oklahoma
    Ryan Nassib, Syracuse - This is a guy I like after doing a bit of researching
    Zac Dysert, Miami (OH)
    Someone else

This team needs to add at least one QB in the draft or elsewhere... How about one of these guys?

2. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I certainly dont think Matt Barkley is as bad as people think he is

I like Tyler Wilson, I think Landry Jones has a lot of upside but he also needs ALOT of work

3. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Zac Dysert ... He shows alot of potential

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

QB's always get over drafted early. Many are saying there is maybe only one first rounder talent wise, but there is gong to be 3 or four taken in the first. Teams that need a QB can not afford to wait.

I don't see any situation in which KC does not go QB at one. Sure there is not Andrew Luck or RG3, but it is by far the biggest need on that team. After that all of Barkley, Wilson, and Glennon will get interest in the first with at least two of them going. Sme desperate teams may look to climbing into the late first if one of them drops to there.

In a QB driven league teams with less than mediocre QB play daft one high. Many thought guys like locker and ponder would not go int the first and they both went top 15. It's another year where guys are going to get picked ahead of draft pundits expectations.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

I like Mike Glennon a lot, wrote a lot about him and I dont feel like typing it all up again... Zac Dysert is also another nice prospect. I would be happy with either one of them as developmental QBs at the right spot in the draft obviously.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Mike Glennon and Landry Jones are the two I like.

7. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

The guy I like a lot is Logan Thomas. He has excellent potential, but he won't be ready to play next year. I'm guessing he's a late first, early second round guy at this point, although if he goes to the combine, he's going to go higher. But his tools are excellent, IMO. He's going to take a year or so to develop atleast, so we can go with a veteran and then let Thomas take over.

I think Smith, Barkley, and Wilson will go ahead of him, which should push Thomas into the second round. Maybe trade back in the first and then get an early second, and taking him could be something that I'd look into. And then we'd have a good Qb for the the future, while not wasting our first round pick on him.

8. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Logan Thomas is terrible. Jets should be looking at smith, Barkley, Wilson, bray, and nassib. Tbh, the jets should be looking at 2014 qbs in their assessment of future qbs because they will be terrible next year.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wait until 2014. DO NOT DRAFT a QB in this draft. A new GM and OC must install the new system first.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only way the Jets should take a QB in this draft is if they have changed the GM before they do it. If they take a high-pick QB and then fire Tannenbaum the guy picked will be an orphan and it will likely add two years at least to the Jets search for a QB and the rebuild.

The guys I would take a shot at in this draft are:

Early 2nd: Geno Smith
    6th or later: Landry Jones, Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson

Wilson is getting a lot of press right now but his long throws are often wobbly, not even close to a tight spiral. His arm strength is nothing special at all despite the scouting reports to the contrary. He plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun which means the rush is always in front of him and he has a better vision of the field. He takes a lot of sacks anyway and he throws balls into coverages that should not be tested. He's like a lot of the QB's in this draft, a gunner out of the shotgun whose bread and butter is the slant and who is questionable outside of that realm.

If Aaron Murray declares I might take a shot on him early in the 2nd.

#10 Br4d, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your list of QB values is not even close. Smith is going in the top 15. 2 of the three guys you list as 6th rounders are 1st or second round guys. QB scouting is an inexact and diffecult thing because so much of it is based on mental aspects not physical ones, but its easy to tell when a guy has the tools to play.

12. Jonky

Jonky Banned

I like Murray also, but I think the second may be too early. Don't forget, he hasn't won a big game for Georgia. Then again, Peyton had trouble with those at UT.

13. Br4d

My list of QB values is pretty accurate I think. The guys taken in the 1st round recently have not been worthy of the pick unless they were no-brainers.

The last QB taken in the 1st round before Luck and RGIII who was just clearly worth the pick was Matt Ryan in 2008. The one before that was Aaron Rodgers in 2005.

The NFL does a terrible job of evaluating QB talent in the 1st round. We're not talking 50/50 bust ratio in terms of finding franchise QB's, we're talking

Franchise: Andrew Luck/RGIII/Matt Ryan/Aaron Rodgers
    Clear starter: Matthew Stafford/Josh Freeman/Joe Flacco/Jay Cutler
    Questions: Ryan Tannehill/Cam Newton/Jake Locker
    Bust: Brandon Wheeden/Blaine Gabbert/Christian Ponder/Sam Bradford/Tim Tebow/Mark Sanchez/Jamarcus Russell/Brady Quinn/Vince Young/Matt Leinart/Alex Smith/Jason Campbell

That's like a 8 vs 15 ratio of solid QB's to people you probably shouldn't have drafted. Some of the guys in the clear starter category aren't doing it all for their teams either and will move on. Yeah Cam Newton may wind up being a great QB, so could Jake Locker and so could Sam Bradford if something miraculous happened.

If you'd looked at the franchise and clear starter guys after two years the only guy you'd have had a question about is Aaron Rodgers who wasn't even playing yet so I think the odds on the 3 guys I mentioned actually turning out to be great are lower than you'd think just looking at the first two years.

QB is by far the most important position on the field. That doesn't mean you should be taking shots on people just because they showed some flashes in college or got to work out of a shotgun for 3 or 4 years throwing a ton of passes. Missing on your 1st round QB is more catastrophic than just playing journeymen at the position until you finally have the guy you know will work out in your sights.

If Smith goes in the top 15 it will be because somebody reached for him. There is no evidence that he will be a great NFL QB at this point and some evidence that he may not make that grade. He looks like his ceiling is in the clear starter category alongside Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco.

The other guys are all flawed and none of them should be taken before the 6th round. The teams taking them will have to be damn near perfect to develop them into great NFL QB's. They're not Andrew Luck or RGIII, none of them are even close to that category, and drafting a guy in the 1st round to have a 50/50 shot at a guy who can start in the NFL is ridiculous. You're not looking for a starting QB in the 1st round, you're looking for a great QB.

The scouting reports on Glennon ALL say that he might eventually be an NFL starter. You don't spend value acquiring that kind of guy. If he falls to you then he's worth taking a shot on after the other positions that you need real talent at have gotten your attention in the draft. That would be along about the 6th round.

#13 Br4d, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

I'm sorry, but Joe Flacco is at least a "Question" and in my eyes a "Bust". His success has mostly been a factor of the team around him and his play is at times down-right awful. Give me Brandon Weeden or Sam Bradford over him any day

15. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

^^^Not to take away from the premise of the post, which I entirely agree with

16. Br4d

The numbers disagree with you.

I understand what you're saying about him, because I also think he is a flawed QB with a relatively low ceiling that all the talent around him is holding off.

However if you look at his career as a whole the numbers say he has done the job of a starting QB, just not of a great one.

Really I think the whole existential question in the NFL at this point comes down to finding the great QB and then doing everything in your power to get the best results out of him.

That may change cyclically as people like Rex Ryan innovate on defense but it's still the rule now.

17. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I am REAL high on Ryan Nassib of Syracuse. I truly believe he'll be the sleeper of the draft. So many Cuse players get overlooked and become good players in the NFL. Totally worth a gamble in the 3rd rd..if he lasts that long. I'd take him in the 2nd rd as well.

Good size. Amazing arm. He played in a pro style offense and had to make ALL the throws.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm starting to want Matt Barkley as long as he's at 6'3 and runs a solid 40

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The more I read about him, the more I like. I guess he didn't have much of a supporting cast at 'Cuse but was successful nonetheless unlike somebody we're familiar with. QBs go higher than we project, so I'd consider him in the 2nd round

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The point you so readily miss is that qb's are almost always over drafted. If you wait to draft these guys in your perceived value range, you get none of them. D this year after year and you never draft a QB. You pointed out in another thread that successful qb's rarely get drafted after pick 36. So your now claiming none of these guys will ever be a viable starter?

Projecting a Qb to the NFL is a make or break pick for men who have devoted their working life to the trade. Get a good one and your team is set for years. Draft the worng guy high and set them back just as much. That is why talents like Locker and Ponder go much hire than expected. If a team has a QB issue then need to fix it with the best possible pick, despite where pundits feel their imagined round value is. Of all the positions it's the biggest gamble and biggest payoff. If you miss they they do not settle into a rotational player or special teams role, but become a wasted pick. On the flip side if you don't take the chances on any of the guys you leave you team weak at the most important position in sports.

The players you list all have some flaws, but also posses the necessary tools for the next level. The overall development of the player will depend o both the teams handling and his personal work ethic, but these guys are the best of a decent crop of young QB's.