Tid Bits by Peter King

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by S.HOLMES.10, Dec 19, 2012.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'd settle for a decent one. Forget about helping Jets win a game, I'll be happy to take someone who doesn't give a game away.
    High hopes for McElroy.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You don't know that until you give backup QB a fair chance to play. The only time McElroy was given such chance he was by far better than Sanchez.

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The scary issue is we won't be able to get any decent offensive players in free agency with Sanchez at QB. What elite WR or RB in their right mind wants to join such a dysfunctional crew and risk being dragged down?

As of now, things being what they are, we almost have to cut our losses, let Sanchez go, grab someone like a Josh Smith and make a fresh start.

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I try not to respond to your posts because I truly believe that it's just your shtick and that you see the same things as the rest of us.

You bring up the games where the guy played great but yet ignore all the other emperical evidence that shows how incompetent MS is.

He is one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league and has been for the past 4 years. He can't hit a simple check-down. He constantly throws behind receivers. He routinely stares down his WRs. He still, in his 4th year, throws late over the middle off his back foot.

He is, IMO, a career backup.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's okay with me as long as you recognize that a fair chance to play means other teams having tons of tape on him playing jsut like there is on Sanchez.

There are dozens and dozens of outright scrub NFL QB's who playing a few games have looked promissing. Once the tape is out that promise becomes reality.

Mcelroy isn't the answer the hope around here based on half a drive is meaningless. I get it Sanchez sucks but smoke on this. The same guys who drafted Clemens and Sanchez wasted a late pick on Mcelroy.

6. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Very true ...

The rule is about 6 games of tape will really allow defenses to key in a QB's tendnecies and weaknesses and attack them.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I look at it this way -- guy accounted for a Jet record 32 TDs in 2011 with a horrible offensive line, and average running game, and malcontents at receiver. This season instead of trying to help him be bringing in a new QB coach and a well rounded OC they bring in Tebow and Sparano.

Bring in a new QB coach, a new OL coach, a new OC that know how to run a well rounded offense. You get Holmes, Kerley, Hill, and I would bring back Edwards to help develop Hill. He will be cheap and is better than anyone else they have.

McElroy will show if he is worth using to compete, bring in a rookie, and bring in a backup that has started before. Let them have an open competition for QB in camp.

Sanchez might bounce back and have a great pre-season and throw for 30 TDs. Alex Smith was a disaster for 6 years ...right system came in and he was very good.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't ignore anything, that poster specifically mentioned postseason and that he only helpdn us win 1 game.

Mark has been an up and down(mostly down this year) reg season QB but again look at his healthy weapons this year. he's in a new system w/ new players around him and all his top guys have been out most of the year. That has to be factored in.

Career backups don't win 4 road playoff games including outplaying the best QB of this generation on the road in the div rd.

whether you respond to me or not I don't care, if you want to be an average fan and just go based on QB ratingas go ahead. if you want to be a better fan then engage in debates w/ posters like me.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

QB worth anything will not throw into triple coverage, throw late deep down the middle, and place ball security above all else when his defense is this good. Mark should spend next season as one of the highest paid backups in football and moving forward after that, a restructure or release. Right now his head is not in a good place and he is showing regression not improvement.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Duly noted, and good point too. However, just like placing hope onto McElroy based on 1.5 quarter of work is meaningless, so is your assessment that he is not the answer, based on how & when he was picked, is also premature.

My whole point is that Jets are stuck with Sanchez, the money already spent and the judgment is out. There are no prominent QBs coming up in the next draft so Jets are pretty much stuck with whatever we've got now. Under these circumstances, it makes sense to see what they really got in McElroy (and in Tebow too for that matter). Chances of McElroy being a diamond in the rough are very low, but you can't know for sure until you tried.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm all for it. I have no issue with cutting Tebow and Sanchez and letting Kerley back up Mcelroy.

12. 46Defense

46Defense New Member

Tebow's leaving anyway. He doesn't want to be here.
    Sanchez is the problem though because he'll fight tooth and nail to stay here rather than be shipped off to Kansas City or Green Bay.

13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What scares me about Sanchez, is I thought he played very hard Monday night and at the end of the day, might have played the most awful game of his Jet career. That last pick, Cumberland isn't close to being open on.

14. skeleton_frames

I totally agree. By my account, with a competent QB/A bit more talent at WR, we probably win the Houston, NE 1 and last week, making us 9-5 going into this week.

With this D there's no need to blow it up.

15. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

I don't think King grasps the cap situation the Jets are in. If they take a $17M hit they could actually have trouble fielding a team next year. The Jets are better off never activating Sanchez than not having that extra few million. They need to free up every cap dollar they can next year. Spreading it over two years is simply not an option because a savings of a few hundred thousand in 2013 doesn't justify guaranteeing $4.8M in 2014.

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Some people will never get it. They'd rather conjure up 1,000 excuses than just accept the simple reality that 95% of us can plainly see ... The guy can't play the game at an acceptable level. He's had more than enough opportunities and he continues to prove time and time again, that he CAN'T PLAY. It's not emotion ... it's common sense.

It seems completely ludicrous to me for people to keep jumping through hoops to defend this guy and be willing to settle for garbage play at the position when there are other people out there who actually CAN play. The 5% out there who still defend him aren't smarter or more patient than the 95% who are sick of his constant fuckups ... they're just too stubborn or immature to accept the reality of swallowing hard and dealing with the consequences. My guess is they probably deal with everything in life with that same attitude.

Under no circumstances do I want this guy under center for this team ever again. I've seen more than enough from him, and thankfully I truly believe Woody has seen more than enough as well. Spread the cap hit out over two years and cut this guy @ 12:01AM on June 1st. I really don't care how he looks in mini camp. We already know he's a Practice field All-Star and a Game field Scrub. It's time to move on towards a future with a player who actually gives us reasonable, PROFESSIONAL play at the most important position on the field.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

OK, since you won't attempt to explain any of Sanchez's fallacies that this average fan brought up, I'll engage you -- oh SUPER FAN -- in a debate.

The 09 Jets were about to be the first team in NFL history to miss the playoffs while having the #1 rushing attack and #1 defense. They won, in the regular season, in spite of their QB play. If the Colts don't lay down, there is no run to the AFCCG.

I give MS credit for winning those playoffs games, but in reality in 09 he did enough to not lose. In the Bengals game, 2 of their TD drives started at mid-field. He was extremely efficient (12-15) but only had 185 yards but no INTs. This is called game managing. Against SD, the defense won that game. YOU CAN NOT DEBATE THAT. Green's 5o yard run combined with a great defense is why the Jets played in the AFCCG that year -- not Sanchez's 100 yards.

In 10, I really thought that MS turned the corner. He was clutch. He had command of the team. This was a fun season. The Colts game, again, was Sanchez being the perfect game manager and then coming up clutch (after a huge return by Cromartie). Against NE, Sanchez was nearly perfect, but he wasn't as dominant as people try to make it seem. The first scoring drive was like 50 yards and the second was about 30. The other TD drive was a 58 yarder to Cotchery that was about 7 yards in the air. GREAT GAME MANAGING by MS.

18. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Don't bother. Junc is Sanchez's relative or something. I suspect that deep down, he knows Sanchez isn't very good and won't ever be. He's built his identity here as a Sanchez supporter, so he's just going to stick to that.