Some updates from kffl

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pam, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Jets | Mangini unlikely to feature a No. 1 running back
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:51:21 -0700

Colin Stephenson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini plans to use a running back-by-committee approach and will not rely on a feature back. RB Kevan Barlow, RB Cedric Houston and RB Derrick Blaylock are all expected to see carries.

Jets | B. Smith could have package of plays at quarterback
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:36:55 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets WR Brad Smith could be used as a quarterback in certain plays during the course of a game to relieve starter QB Chad Pennington. Smith's versatility is considered to be an asset, as he can use both his arm and legs to beat opponents.

Jets | Barrett working with first team
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:04:35 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets CB David Barrett has been working with the first-team defense at left cornerback ahead of CB Justin Miller.

Jets | Dwight returns to practice Monday
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:01:05 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets WR Tim Dwight (leg) returned to practice Monday, Sept. 4.

2. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I am glad to see that Brad Smith will have some plays at QB. I don't believe he can be a successful full time QB but bringing him in there for a few plays just to change the pace of the game seems like a good idea.

3. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

its nice to see that the coaching staff will actually try to get our playmaker(s) the ball...one thing we really struggled to do with santana when he was here

4. Pam

Vikings | Team signs Bollinger to extension
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:07:13 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed QB Brooks Bollinger to a two-year contract extension beyond the 2006 season Monday, Sept. 4. Bollinger was set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Minny must like him. :sad:

5. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Smith could be an interesting and dangerous option to bring in on goal line and short yardage situations.

6. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

I like the versatility that the RBC and utility of Smith will provide. Of course it will not jaunt us ingto the playoffs but, it will make for some interesting games,

and keep the defense on their toes, a bit

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe he's better than some people here think...

8. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Good for brooks, hope things go well for him in minny.

9. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Nice looking updates.

10. Pam

Jets Plan to Use Four Backs in Opener
    Barlow, Houston, Blaylock, Washington in Mix
    By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.
    AP
    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Sept. 4) - Kevan Barlow leaned forward in front of his locker, looked up at the pack of reporters and assured them he's prepared to make an impact for the New York Jets .

"I'm ready," Barlow said Monday. "I'm ready to play. This week is going to be important for me to get reps."

Barlow, Cedric Houston , Derrick Blaylock and rookie Leon Washington are all in the mix to replace the injured Curtis Martin as the Jets ' No. 1 running back. With Martin sidelined for at least the first six weeks of the season with a knee injury, coach Eric Mangini plans - for now - to use all four in the season opener at Tennessee .

"Whoever the running back is doesn't matter, as long as by the end of the day he helps us win games," Barlow said. "It does not matter to me."

Fantasy football fanatics trying to get a handle on it can keep guessing.

"That's something that will be evolving, but not just with the running back position, but with all the different positions," Mangini said.

That approach is similar to the one Bill Belichick, Mangini's former boss, has taken with New England . The Patriots often rotate their running backs, tight ends and wide receivers based on game situations.

Barlow, a former 1,000-yard rusher acquired from San Francisco on Aug. 20, had just three carries for 11 yards against the Giants on Aug. 25, and didn't play against Philadelphia last Friday.

Many assumed he would be named the Jets' starter when the deal was made.

"You can't really say that," Barlow said. "You're not going to throw a guy out there that doesn't know the offense. He's liable to get one of the quarterbacks hurt. We don't need that, especially with the situation that we had last year. Whatever my role is, I'm happy with it."

Most of the work done by Barlow has been on the practice field and in the classroom with running backs coach Jimmy Raye and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

"He's really working to get the playbook down," Mangini said. "And the positive thing about game planning is that the playbook goes from `War and Peace' to something a lot more manageable because it's so opponent-specific. And that's actually a little bit of an edge when you do bring in new players and transition them into your system."

Houston has been the Jets' leading rusher in the preseason, running for 178 yards on 44 carries. He had 108 of those yards against the Eagles , further cementing his spot in the running back mix.

"I think Cedric has done a good job with his opportunities," Mangini said. "We've talked to Cedric about things he needs to work on, and he's been conscientious about that and worked on it."

Houston stepped in for Martin as a rookie last season after the fourth-leading rusher in NFL history had his year end. Houston started the last four games and rushed for 227 yards and two touchdowns, and said the opportunity to watch Martin everyday helped with his own development.

"He taught me a lot about what it takes to be a running back in this league, and what it takes to be successful," he said.

Blaylock had 93 yards on 25 carries in the preseason. The six-year pro is an established backup, who actually started ahead of Larry Johnson with Kansas City when Priest Holmes was injured two years ago.

Washington, drafted in the fourth round out of Florida State, has opened some eyes with his special teams play, but has also taken advantage of his time in the backfield. He had 59 yards on 20 carries, and has come a long way since his first day of training camp.

"When I first got here, there were no lights at the end of the tunnel and things were going 1,000 miles an hour," he said. "But I'm taking things in stride. I'm just trying to soak everything up and find a way to make the

11. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Good news that Dwight is OK.

12. canuckgreenandwhite

canuckgreenandwhite New Member

RBC by default. hope he gives C.Houston a good look. I think he and Blaylock might be our top 2 backs.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Happy to see the injury to Tim Dwight wasn't serious. Also will be curious to see if 6 weeks into the season Martin is ready to come back what Mangini decides to do. Cross that bridge when you come to it, but interesting to think about.

14. Pam

Jets | Ramsey expected to be No. 2 quarterback
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:35:50 -0700

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Patrick Ramsey will likely start the season as the team's No. 2 quarterback.

Titans | B. Jones questionable for Week 1
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:12:37 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (knee) will be questionable for Week 1 against the New York Jets.

Titans | Odom OUT for Week 1
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:12:05 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans DL Antwan Odom (knee) is out for Week 1 against the New York Jets.

Titans | Kinney questionable for Week 1
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:10:53 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans TE Erron Kinney (knee) will be questionable for Week 1 against the New York Jets.

Titans | L. Thompson questionable for Week 1
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:10:15 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans SS Lamont Thompson (ankle) will be questionable for Week 1 against the New York Jets.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The Brad Smith situation is something that will make this season an inetersting one.... I could definately see a Brad Smith reverse and then he tosses the ball down the field for a TD pass to Cotch

16. JetD

JetD Member

Barrett starting over Miller? I dont like that at all.

17. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Good for Bolly, I like the kid.

18. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I guess so, I thought it was Miller and Barrett starting and Dyson playing nickel.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Nah, Dyson was brought in to start from day one. He had to lose the spot, and he didn't. The only competition was between Miller and Barrett. I'm actually surprised Barrett beat out Miller. I guess the mental mistakes are something Mangini wants fixed before he lets Miller get out of control.

(The only guy who was fighting for the nickle spot was Mickens, and he lost.)

20. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Did you guys see the washington game. After that performance it comes as no surprise that he lost the starter spot. He may have the tools but he still has to work on his technique and decision making.