Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

guys , havent posted yet for a number of reasons,
    Simply devastated to see what happened , as a parent cant envisage to be in a senario. There are many heroes , the adults who died protecting the kids . Victoria soto has appeared on my fb many times , robbie parker appearing on Tv opening up his heart. A brave man.

when this occurred it was overnight here in australia and i awoke on sat am , checked my phone etc and saw the breaking news, woke my wife up and put the tv on and watched cnn , about an hour later my 6 year old daughter came in and we switched tqo dora. We were about to go on vacation so i had a busy day ahead , atm i am in singapore . When we were at the airport had to avoid the tv screens. Seen limited coverage since .
    Tried the tgg board but change of server made it hard to view, knew there were posters who may have come from the area, like Sandy disaster. Starting reading the thread and saw It was close to home For Johnny d, thread became the gun debate so stopped reading till now. The gun debate is a no brainer. We had a massacre in tasmania and our prime minister showed some guts and changed the gun laws despite opposition. Guess what , the sun came up the next morning. Obama has job security, lets hope talk is not cheap

#361 Satan, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Well, that pretty much equals to not being allowed to possess a gun at all, as you won't be able to protect your family in case of a home invasion if your gun is not loaded and ready to be fired.

3. 624

624 Banned

drove through Newtown today. crazy scene

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

statistics seem to validate the position that concealed guns reduce crime, so I don't find any argument even attempting to dispute that compelling.

the questions become is that the only way to eliminate gun violence in our culture, and is that really the direction we want to take in society?

I think we are at a crossroads in this country with the issue, and there is no longer room to tolerate middle ground solutions. you either go all the way and make guns easier to obtain and legal to carry by all citizens, or you need strict gun control and punishment for violators in an attempt to eliminate guns.

5. grumpynyjetsfaninME

if you want a gun you should have to take a test, see if you are smart enough to own one. if you fail you have no chance to get one. im really starting to think a person from the goverment has to be imvoled in one of these ordeals for any gun law to change.

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It also stops kids getting their hands on loaded weapons.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should post this here or not. Its kinda on subject and really is about a group of people the earth would be a better place without...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/protest-westboro-baptist-church-erupts-185802032.html

Sorry, but If I was the parent or one of this kids and some asshole showed up to picket, I may do something awful myself.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

actually the ar-15 is a very popular coyote gun. long distance multiple shots quickly. very ideal for shooting coyotes in the fields.
    a law on clip capacity should be passed though. absolutely no need for 20-30 round clips.

#368 FJF, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

A Semi Auto, not a burst fire, but one that simply reloads the gun, I'm a bit torn on. I know a shot gun will often lead to little more than pissing a bear off without a perfect shot. I've head horror stories from my idiot family out west. My dad swears by never shooting a bear in the head but rather the throat. He claims his cousin had a rife bullet bound off the bears skull.

An AR-15 type with burst fire capabilities? No those are not really needed, but Semi auto hunting rifles? Eeeee, I would not want to venture down that path. From there the hard case is defining the difference. Changes could be made to gun laws, but that is still only glazing over the real issue with mental illness.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yes, all the names of those sick fucks is all over the net now. If I lived closer to Connecticut I would certainly take the drive up there to make sure these wastes of human life got no where near the funeral.

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

i cant imagine shows like dooms day preppers etc are helping. They are encouraging stockpiling and paranoia

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

my kids go back tomorrow. SHES kids go back wednesday at a new school in Monroe, next town over.

Tomorrow is a delayed start for my kids because they have counselors coming in and they want to counselors to get setled in and prepped before kids come in.

I havent spoken to my kids about too much detail. The school called and said it will be talked about tomorrow for sure. I imagine my kids will come home with lots of questions.

If anyone saw Andrerson Cooper tonight interviewing teh two firemen, my bro in law was the shorter, Italian looking one named Ray. So weird seeing him :)

13. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Peace , mate, thinking of you guys and what you will be going thru

14. gopats88

gopats88 Member

A .22 is a great gun for practicing and learning fundamentals, because of low ammo costs, but is a horrible choice for most hunting and self-defense. A sub-compact pistol is great for carrying around for everyday protection, but is less than ideal for just about everything else. A shotgun is good for home defense, and some specific types of hunting, but is absolutely useless for other purposes. The gun that you use to kill a bear isn't necessarily the right gun to kill a deer, which isn't necessarily the right gun to kill a turkey, etc.

If you are into hunting, competitive shooting, and care about protecting your family, you could easily justify owning four (or more) firearms.

Oh really? According to the National Crime Victimization Survey conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics in 1999, 1.0% of respondents had used a gun for self-defense purposes within the prior 6 months (http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/6/4/263.full). That number jumps to 2.9% among respondents who were gun owners. That survey's results are considered by far the most conservative estimates out there. There are multiple studies claiming numbers much higher.

In case you haven't been following along, those numbers are far, far greater than the number of new shooting victims every 6 months (or even every year).

Really? A taser is just as effective at stopping somebody as a gun? Why do police carry guns then? What if there are multiple assailants? Do you have multiple tasers holstered on your belt? What if you miss with your first shot? Do you throw your taser forcefully at the guy trying to kill you? Wouldn't criminals just wear thick protective clothing if their greatest threat was being tased?

Practicing with your taser also seems out of the question when each shot costs $30.

It isn't just about tyrannical governments, and it isn't just about hunting or recreational shooting. Many gun owners choose to buy guns because they want the option of defending their family, instead of simply waiting for the police to show up with chalk and bodybags.

Automatic weapons are unnecessary, but semi-autos have valid uses for hunting, and are pretty much required if you want an effective self-defense gun. Studies have shown that the first gunshot wound, even to the torso, does not consistently stop an attacker. The second one almost always does. That means that you need to be ready to get two shots on target for each potential attacker that you might be facing. Revolvers fall short because you don't want to be limited to 5 or 6 rounds when your life is on the line. Semi-automatic weapons are pretty much the only other viable option.

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I think the whole country should adapt NYC-like gun laws. No assault weapons, period, and magazine capacity should be limited to 10, which should be plenty for both hunting and self-defense.

Assault weapon definition:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    Detachable magazine.

16. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

[YOUTUBE]yATeti5GmI8[/YOUTUBE]

17. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

I'm not a gun person (I can't believe it.. said no one) so work with me here. What's the distinction between a semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic handgun. Why is semi-automatic rifle considered a "assault weapon" and the semi-automatic handgun not? Is it because the rifle like the one Adam Lazna used "Scarier looking?" Because it looks more like a military weapon? I personally believe all semi-automatic weapons should be outlawed for private sale.

#377 21stAmendment, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  18. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Also, it's only been the last 20-25 years that gun people have advocated for military-like weapons.

19. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Waiting for someone to blame Marilyn Manson for all this. Few things annoy me more than the media blaming video games, movies, and music for violence. Any time talking about that and not gun access and mental health is a waste of oxygen. There has been countless studies done on this.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

What you meant to say there, is that it's only been the last few decades that we've deliberately misconstrued the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Freedom of conscience, is the first.

Freedom from coercion, the second.(3rd and fourth as well)

Has no one read the Federalist Papers?