Official 2012-2013 College Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Oct 16, 2012.

1. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Anyways, Boeheim goes for #900 tonight.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That is the biggest issue for the ACC and Big East, they are at the mercy of the Big 4. When those 4 decide it's the others can't do anything about it.

I agree, as far as Nova they will not be going to the ACC. Those schools broke away from a hybrid because it doesn't work. No reason to go back to one.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

No, they broke away from the hybrid because the teams left in the hybrid sucked. No reason for a school like Villanova to play against UCF or SMU or Houston or Tulane.

If a hybrid conference offered Duke, Wake Forest, Louisville, UConn and others, and those schools didn't mind expanding to make a hybrid conference, I would think/hope the Catholic Seven would jump at the opportunity.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

congrats to Boeheim.

5. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

too soon we almost just blew this game!

#225 kbgreen, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Alas, the NCAA is still holding Kabongo hostage, and Texas and UNC square off tonight.

Still no word on what's going on. This is pretty messed up. Months have gone by and the NCAA won't say anything.

7. Barry the Baptist

It's just a case of the NCAA playing favorites.. the situation with Duke disgusts me to no end yet Indiana, St Johns and Texas have both been victimized by the NCAA and their overbearing gang of thugs.

BTW.. I don't see how UNLV goes into Chapel Hill and walks out with a win. I think the verdict is slowly coming that Rice can recruit but he is in way over his head whne it comes to coaching these talented players. We're fine at home but on the road we really struggle, on the road and really with teams that force us into a half court game. Throw in no Moser who will still be out a few more weeks with a dislocated elbow and Birch still getting back into game shape and we could be in for a beat down in that game.

8. Barry the Baptist

I'm just curious what you guys think of 1st Boheim and then Winthrop's Coach Pat Kelsey had to say about the shootings in CT? I think this event transcends sports and it really hit me when I saw players in the NFL crying during the moments of silence they had before the games. I think these guys have voices, they go into inner cities where gun violence is common and they can make an impression on young men that may make them choose to walk a different path. I think Kelsey knew he may not ever have a microphone with an audience that large and I like the fact that he used that oppurtunity to make a statement. It took tremendous courage for him to say it. I don't want to turn this into a gun debate but just bring to light that some coaches are using their voices for change. I don't have Boheim's statement but he also made some comments after the game the other night that things need to change. For those that missed it Kelsey had this to say after Winthrop lost to Ohio State last night

"The last thing I wanna say is I'm really, really lucky, 'cause I'm gonna get on an eight-hour bus ride, and I'm gonna arrive in Rock Hill, S.C., and I'm gonna walk into my house, and I'm gonna walk upstairs, and I'm gonna walk into two pink rooms, OK, with a 5-year-old and a 4-year-old laying in that pink room, with a bunch of teddy bears laying in that room.

"And I'm gonna give them the biggest hug and the biggest kiss I've ever given them. And there's 20 families in Newtown, Conn., that are walking into a pink room with a bunch of teddy bears with nobody laying in those beds. And it's tragic.

"And I don't know what needs to be done. I'm not smart enough to know what needs to be done, OK? I know this country's got issues. Is it a gun issue? Is it a mental illness issue? Or is it a society that has lost the fact, the understanding, that decent human values are important?

"And our leaders -- I didn't vote for President Obama. But you know what? He's my president now. He's my leader. I need him to step up. Mr. Boehner, the Speaker of the House, he's a Xavier guy, he's a Cincinnati guy, OK, he needs to step up.

"Parents, teachers, rabbis, priests, coaches, everybody needs to step up. This has to be a time for change. And I know this microphone's powerful right now, because we're playing the fourth-best team in the country. I'm not going to have a microphone like this the rest of the year, maybe the rest of my life.

"And I'm going to be an agent of change with the 13 young men I get to coach every day and the two little girls that I get to raise. But hopefully things start changing, because it's really, really disappointing.

"I'm proud to grow up American. I'm proud to say I'm part of the greatest country ever. And that's got to stay that way. And it'll stay that way if we change. But we gotta change."

9. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

SJU gets transfer Jamal Branch available for their game tomorrow. He was the 51st ranked player in the 2011 HS class. We badly need a real PG.

10. kbgreen

For the most part I agree with what they did, we need some change and people who have the ear of the press need to help keep the issue in the forefront of debate.

I however feel that Guns are not the only issue that has to be addressed. I do agree that assult weapons need to be taken away(they have no purpose), but I also see that these horrible acts are done by people on the radar of the mental health system and it is failing in it's mission to protect our children and us. The law is written to protect the mentally ill and not the public.

11. Barry the Baptist

That's why I like how Kelsey addressed it. Didn't blame one group or anybody. Just saying that our nation needs to come together as a whole to address these issues and resolve them.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

There are reports that the NCAA will keep Kabongo tied up for the rest of the season and they will not allow him to play.

Ridiculous. The NCAA is corrupt.

Texas blew out UNC anyway.

13. kbgreen

What did Kabongo do?

14. nyjunc

Kabongo didn't play, the heels just stink and it wasn't a blowout. It was a close game throughout the 2nd half, the heels actually got w/in 4 w/ plenty of time to play but folsded down the stretch. This looks like a 2010 type of year, hopefulyl we don't see another title handed to duke like 2010.

15. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab-...-guard-myck-kabongo-for-season-035535906.html

"As the NCAA investigated Kabongo's amateur status over the past several months, Texas held Kabongo out of the lineup. The NCAA's investigation has centered around whether Kabongo, a one-time potential NBA first-round draft pick, received impermissible benefits from agent Rich Paul, who represents NBA superstar LeBron James and two former Texas Longhorns players: Cleveland Cavaliers forward Tristan Thompson and San Antonio Spurs guard Cory Joseph.
    In most impermissible benefits situations, players usually are suspended from three to 10 games and ordered to repay the amount of the benefits received. In this case, the penalty was made more severe because Kabongo provided inaccurate information to NCAA investigators when he was interviewed, sources with ties to Texas' basketball program said."

16. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Still can't help but bitch about 2010 can you? Mr. 2010 NIT runner-up. Maybe your players should attend some classes once in a while so they can do something better than cheating.

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Maybe they should hire Jay Wright?

18. nyjunc

duke is doing well, carolina is not and look who shows up.

you have the basketball team confused w/ the football team and duke fans should never criticize since you have a FF banner from '99 that should have been removed for Corey Maggette and this:

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/outside_lines.php

19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Texas up 13 at the half and ultimately won by 18. Down by 4 was the closest the Tar Heels ever got and that was pretty brief.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

85-67 ..... nail-biter