Darrelle Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I agree with u there. I wouldn't be against the idea of trading him for a couple of solid players or a 1st and a 2nd rounder. But the OP wants to trade him AND two MORE first round picks just to pick Manti Te'O. Is Manti going to be a HoF? Because the only player I'd trade Revis and two firsts for, has to be a HoF LB that would play his entire career for the Jets.

Trading Revis for ANY of the values OP suggested is beyond terrible.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It is easy to have a top 5 pass D when you are at the bottom of the league in rush D. Add to that the games where teams had a decent lead and just kept the ball on the ground to run out the clock.

You are ready to just jettison one of the best defensive players in the league before seeing if an extension that is workable for all involved can be ironed out. Revis lost a lot of leverage with the injury, the question will be if he wants to either work out an extension during the off season at a lower rate than he previously demanded, hold out or play next season and take his chances in free agency.

I don't think that we will be able to keep Revis at some cut rate price but if the Jets come at him with a 6 year $60M contract in the off season, Revis then has to think long and hard because if he rolls the dice and plays out the season only to find out he lost a step after the injury, his free agency payday takes a hit. Granted the Jets take a chance by making the offer before seeing how his play is but that is part of the business.

If the Jets resign Revis, extend Landry and rework and extend Cromartie then you have the D backfield locked up for at least 3 years and they can focus where the help is really needed.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Stop acting all butt hurt. People are discussing it without you needing to repost your original post. Some of the posts chose to ridicule your ridiculous trade scenarios, you posted it deal with the replies.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Butt hurt? Yeah. Valid arguement? How about Revis being the best defensive player in the league who's contract restricts the Jets from trading him? Is that enough of an argument to keep him until he's a FA?

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

^ yes of course it is. And really its all that needs to be said. Instead however we get pages of lunatic proposals to deal the best DB in the NFL.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Trading Revis AND our first rounder for anything other than a qb prospect the caliber of a Luck or Griffin is insanity

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

We should get rid of the best defensive player in the NFL just before a contract year.... GREAT PLAN!

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we make the playoffs, advance on crazy wins, reach the SB, and hoist the Lombardi, then maybe, just maybe, we can discuss moving on from Revis.

Outside of this scenario, we got to keep going with him.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Boy, are you modest.

Aim high. Shoot for the star. Aim for the next Peyton Manning (who neither of them will ever be.)

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

There won't be another Peyton Manning.

11. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I could really care less what people think about the trade offers. At first glance, it appears that I want Teo, and would over pay to get him. I am trying to get to what Revis is worth, or if we should pay him to a long contract. Did the OP post come across that way? Yes, from re-reading it, I can understand how it comes across as I want to trade Revis and 2 1's. I don't believe that to be the case at all.

When it comes to players, and draft value, everyone has different ideas of what the value is.

As far as discussing, the responses are off topic from what I am attempting to get to, and re-posted with some clarity of what I am looking for, and changed to the opposite side of the unrealistic spectrum. Trading Revis and 2 1's is unrealistic, as is trading Revis for all of KC's picks. I used Teo, because he is the most realistic choice to trade up for.

I hope that clarifies what the purpose was.

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Revis is tradeable. There are several of circumstances for trading out of his contract.

No, I don't need reassurance from a message board to know it is a valid argument.

What I should have done, and I realize now, that I should have not included trade scenario's, since it diluted the weight of the argument. The bottom line is, we have to decide (when I say we, I mean the Jets) is if Revis can make this team much better (for his contract) or is his asset better as trade value.

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I never once said we should do anything. However, the contract year should never come into play with Revis. We know what we will get from him, and if you read the opening post, you would see where I said he will want more money this year.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

yea, we don't need Revis, trade him for a 1st rounder cuz our 1st rnd pick Kyle Wilson has been so awesome.... his pass interference/blind chasing + finger wag technique is the best in the league.

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Most contracts include cash up front in signing bonus. That is not very problematic.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

So what you are suggesting is that we can not upgrade our current #2 CB?

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually it's only a 9 million cap hit to trade him in 2013 and he's very cap friendly for the team taking him on for 2013, the question is whether the team trading for him believes they can sign him longer term. Trading him actually saves the Jets a little change in 2013, not enough to make it worth trading him on that alone, but if the right deal came around the contract money wise doesn't enter in to the picture.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, it's very problematic because all of the upfront cash is going to accelerate directly onto the Jets 2013 cap when they trade him.

They'd have to get Revis to accept a contract with very little money upfront in order to pull off a sign and trade. Now, knowing what I know about Darrelle Revis at this point I would say the odds on that are slim and none.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The most likely scenario is you let him look for a new team to negotiate with and then work out the trade. They get to know his contract terms before hand and deal with signing him and the implications afterwards.

20. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Revis is an unbelievable player. There is no doubt that losing him would impact our pass defense. But the OP is not suggesting something ridiculous or obscene. The simple fact is that we have a strong pass defense without him- and his trade value would help us improve other areas of our team that are not as strong. It's an interesting idea- and one worth exploring.

That said, it would be a huge gamble as opposed to the relatively secure option in signing Revis.