Computer running slow or need some cleaning? Follow these steps!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Probably not mama.. Your rig is safe for now.

2. mamalovesjets

mamalovesjets Member

Cool, knew i bought a Mac for some reason. My family will get a kick out of you calling me mama!!!

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Crap, that's not good. So if I had not downloaded MS Security would I still have run into this issue?

4. Cman68

Considering I'm 4 years older than you... :lol:

5. Cman68

'Fraid so Barry. Nice lil trap MS set for folks. What's even more sinister, depending on your POV, is how they'll keep at you until you either pay for the legit Activation code or buy another copy of Windows. They'll bury the validation software inside one of many updates that your computer will "need" and next thing you know, you've been tagged as a counterfeiter.

All is not lost however. Just restore your system to a time before you downloaded MS Security and your problem will be temp fixed until your next software "update". You can always simply not update your OS but generally, that's not a good idea either.

#565 Cman68, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Help?

Last 2 days each time I log off or switch user, my screen turns black.

I have to turn off my laptop, then when I turn it back on it says Windows didn't shut down properly?

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your computer is trying to shut down a program but ultimately it fails to do so. Do you get any error messages? What OS do you use?

8. GreenMachine

Don't know if this was already posted. Works for me!

If you own Windows Vista or Windows 7, a little-known feature called ReadyBoost can give your PC a boost — without having to add more RAM (system memory). Instead, ReadyBoost lets you use a USB flash drive or SD memory card -- which you might already have in your desk drawer -- to improve performance without having to install purchased memory. The flash memory you connect externally serves as an additional memory cache -- meaning the computer can access data quicker on this than on the hard drive. You can choose to allocate part of a USB drive's memory to speed up performance and use the remainder to store files.

9. cunning linguist

cunning linguist New Member

10. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

I'm having a problem when watching games on my computer on NFL Game pass.

Whenever I advance the play by 10 seconds after a while the screen freezes. I can still hear the audio but my mouse is completely useless and I have to press alt-cntrl-del to restart the whole computer.

Any ideas?

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So it's pretty much the same thing as virtual memory, but on a flash drive. What speed does it run at, though? That's one concern I'd have about that. When you have a slower speed ram chip in your machine it slows all of your memory down to match it. I'm not sure if this would do the same, however since it's regulated by Win7. It just seems like it wouldn't be all that much different from increasing the VM besides being actual flash memory like ram chips. I'm going to look into this, cuz I have an 8 gig flash drive that could be helpful.

#571 Barcs, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What kind of video card do you have? You may want to check out the settings. It could have to do with open GL vs D3D or something similar.

13. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about the program Tour? I'm in a cyber law class and my teacher keeps saying, make sure you're browsing using Tour because it hides your identity. Basically, I have no idea what's he talking about. Anyone know anything about this program or web browser?

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's Tor, not Tour:

https://www.torproject.org/

It's effective at anonymizing, but it's not foolproof - there have been successful attacks on it that have compromised IP addresses. It has been used as part of the Arab Spring uprisings in (for example) Egypt.

15. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Does anyone have a PCI Express x16 upgrade for my 8600 GTS sitting around? Someone offered on here several months ago but never got back to me.

Had the last one on Newegg in my cart but it's gone now that I went to buy it. Figures.

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Was wondering if someone could help me with a pc issue.

A few weeks ago it got some virus,that required me to start up in safe mode,download malwarebytes and get rid of it. Ever since,i think it's my start up registry that's screwed up? (I don't know anything about this stuff).

Everytime I try to download something,whether it be a program,or flash player update it won't let me saying it can't download components,or in the case of adobe,"actionlist not found".

18. Cman68

Just do a reinstall, not a clean install of your OS and your registry problems should be corrected.

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Thanks cman. My pc didn't come with any discs,is this something I can do without them?

20. Cman68

Get with your PC manufacturer and get a licensed copy of your OS. They should be able to provide one for little or no charge. Their techs should be able to tell you if you have a backup image of your OS on a different partition. Sometimes, they put backup images on them for circumstances just like this. If that is the case, burn that image to a disc, then boot from that disc.

If you go the OEM Windows (purchased or borrowed) re-install route, be advised you may have to reload some of your drivers. Win7 is pretty good at having generic drivers that can get you started.

At all costs, do not go with a bootleg copy of any OS. A lot of times, they come with unexpected payloads and may put you right back where you started.