Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Or familes that sent out Xmas cards with pictures in their goofy Xmas sweaters, or from their summer cruise to the Bahamas. When my brother passed (he was 23 and a school teacher in South Carolina) we had to clean out his apartment and it is really an erie feeling knowing that he left dishes in the sink or clothes in the hamper thinking he would clean them later but he never walked into his apartment again. It's a feeling that unless you have experienced it will never understand.. it's like getting kicked in the nuts, stomach and punched in the face at the same time.

I couldn't imagine walking in the house and seeing their pajamas on the bed or their toys that you told them to put away. These parents will never get over this and the holiday season will never ever be a reason to celebrate. How will these kids walk back into their school whenever they go back knowing that their friends, principal and teachers were gunned down senselessly. Everytime they think of what should be the funnest time of their year they will be reminded of this horrible tragedy. I imagine they had decorations up so will just seeing them in the future have traumatic effects on these kids? Just terrible. To be honest I live 2500 miles away and have no connection to this and I don't know if I will ever get over this. It's been 6 years since my brother passed and I manage, I have never gotten over it.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

jonnyd if there is anything that you need please reach out.

i know there are plenty of avenues and activities around hte area at this point but if you need to reach out

3. Combustible Rextible

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. I can't imagine all the steps of going through that.

I was listening to the radio on the way home today and an expert on child psychology was talking about how kids this age are not able to understand what happened at their school today. They aren't able to comprehend that they won't see the kids that were murdered again. This expert was saying that the kids will likely have long term effects and an important part of helping the kids understand the tragedy now falls on the parents to help talk their kids through it and paying attention to signs of trauma down the road.

4. Barry the Baptist

The issue with his rational is that you somehow have to expect the parents of the children that survived to not be traumatized themselves. Their parents are probably going to live with guilt as well wondering why their neighbor and not them, why their friends child and not somebody they didn't know.

5. Combustible Rextible

Originally Posted by Barry the Baptist
    The issue with his rational is that you somehow have to expect the parents of the children that survived to not be traumatized themselves. Their parents are probably going to live with guilt as well wondering why their neighbor and not them, why their friends child and not somebody they didn't know.

Hopefully the parents are able to lean on each other and find out what is helpful and what isn't in helping their kids. I'm sure they are traumatized too. There are not any easy answers to this.

6. Barry the Baptist

Wow... Mike Huckabee is a real piece of shit. Just imagine how fucked as a country we would have been had this jackass actually been elected. Before those on the right jump down the throats of people who want stricter gun laws take a moment and think that people like Huckabee are the voice of the Republican Party....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/mike-huckabee-school-shooting_n_2303792.html

Mike Huckabee: Newtown Shooting No Surprise, We've 'Systematically Removed God' From Schools

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee (R) weighed in on the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, saying the crime was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"

This line of reasoning isn't new for Huckabee.

Speaking about a mass shooting in Aurora, Colo. over the summer, the former GOP presidential candidate claimed that such violent episodes were a function of a nation suffering from the removal of religion from the public sphere.

"We don't have a crime problem, a gun problem or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem," Huckabee said on Fox News. "And since we've ordered God out of our schools, and communities, the military and public conversations, you know we really shouldn't act so surprised ... when all hell breaks loose."

Adam Lanza, 20, is the suspect in a school shooting that left 27 dead Friday, including 20 children. Lanza is reportedly the son of a teacher at the school where the shootings occurred.

7. wexy

wexy Member

I was at the Nets game tonight and every time they showed little kids on the scoreboard, I go queasy thinking of those poor little kids and I noticed on the subway parents were holding on to their kids a little tighter....
    (and my right wing FB friends are very upset that people are upset about guns)

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I just got back from dinner, i saw alot of kids by Macys and every one them of reminded me of this incident

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Everybody is going to try to use this to confirm their worst fears about the country because it is such a dark and evil event. 9/11 had crap like that going on for weeks after the towers came down.

I'm still in shock that this happened. It hasn't really sunk in yet and I find myself getting angry every time I try to look at it more closely to try to make some kind of sense out of what is a completely senseless act.

One of the things that's really pushing my buttons is the rush all the news organizations were in to get the story so they had something to sell. There are so many details that they got wrong, on the left, mainstream, on the right, in the blogosphere. If you read the crap that people put out to sell ads all day it is just horrible how wrong they got things over and over again. It was like a Breitbart nightmare with details trickling out and about 90% of them misleading or outright wrong. But it sold for them so they kept at it.

It's like there was no decency anywhere in the public space while a community was struggling to deal with the worst things you can imagine.

10. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I'm from Weston, 20 mins from Newtown. Competed there many times for high school track. Really shaken by this, oh my god. Speechless. I was a mess earlier today. A complete wreck.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Nailed it...
    and
    Nailed it...

But, as always we're probably going to read reports putting blame on facebook and videogames.

Sad fukin day man...
    Not the kids. They are our one semblance of innocence and unpolluted minds and I can't imagine the grief...just unreal and unimaginable.
    Which reminds me of one the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen on facebook.

[​IMG]

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

While I realize psychotic killers will never be completely eliminated I think it's logical to make it harder for them to get semi-automatic weapons.

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but it is the public that drives the reporting not the media. Everyone wants to know what is happening as soon as possible, the media digs for any scrap of information and many on the scene will give them what they want (right or wrong). If all we wanted was the truth, we'd have all waited until Sunday's paper.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think this has it backwards. If we just prevent violent sociopaths from having semi automatic weapons, maybe we don't need to militarize our schools?

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Waking up in Newtown this morning is an unimaginably sad thing. I cannot possibly relate to you guys the sadness. The emptiness. The whole town is crying. Its a mess guys. Please continue to send prayers and thoughts. We need all teh help we can get.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I honestly don't think that's ever going to be possible. I think it would be about as successful and expensive as the "war on drugs".

17. Gunther

Gunther Member

Besides the incident itself, the media's coverage of the event is worse. Drawing conclusions with no evidence. Trying to find people who knew the suspect is ridiculous, because these are not trained people in the field of psycho-analysis. Some of the best commentary has come from the psychologists, but they are rarely given any time to speak. At times I feel like I'm watching an agenda, and I hope that is not the case, but considering the history of this country, I would not be surprised. America is not very good at looking at itself.

18. Br4d

This is still a lousy rationale for the entire media acting like jackasses, wrongly accusing people, getting the basic details wrong, feeding the beast instead of informing people about the situation in a timely manner.

What the media did yesterday was sell advertising. They kept people tuned to their brand at all costs and to hell with the fact that they were getting it wrong and getting it wrong in a big way.

It was an amoral thing they did as a group.

Somebody interviewed a 6 year old child outside the school, asking him what he was feeling. Did the people involved in that decision have no decency?

19. Br4d

We could do a lot worse than a war on guns.

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I know I don't post so much anymore, but my heart goes out to you, your family and the surrounding area. As a father, and, as a human being, this is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life. Keep your head up and try to stay strong for your family, man.