Evaluating The 2012 Losses of the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Numbers would back that up, but from watching that Bills game, they just didn't cover anyone. They were atrocious in pass coverage all game, receivers were wide open. Even Mark can find wide open receivers in his first read.

2. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

We had numerous chances to win that game early..what are you talking about?

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

No the game that sticks is my craw is the dropped pass by #84 in the 1st NE game :sad:

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Definitely a season changer............

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't think I love McElroy. What you describe as love is more like you're at the bar, the bartender just announced last call, and it's you and two women left. One's a four. But the other is a two.

Sure, in real life you could go home alone. But that's the equivalent of ignoring the Jets until next season. If it's me in that situation, and I am still "in the game," I pick number 4 every single time.

And ftr number 2 is Sanchez, in more ways than one.

But seriously, on the Az game, if Sanchez had stayed in, it was more likely he turns the ball over again as that the O scores, finally. So I disagree with you there - if McElroy did not go in, the Jets would have lost that game.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Honestly, it was more of the fact that our defense let New England and Tom Brady dink and dunk their way to overtime.

7. Big Blocker

Was that game blacked out where you live? Anyone who saw that game knows the win was a gift.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You could say (If you really wanted) that the first Dolphins game and Cardinals game should have been losses, but then you could also say the Texans and first Patriots game should be wins, so it really does not matter too much.

9. Combustible Rextible

The common theme in the losses is that the Jets scored 1 touchdown on offense in all except for the Pats games where the offense scored 2 touchdowns. The only two wins where the Jets offense scored only 1 touchdown were against Miami and Arizona. To point out the obvious, its damn near impossible to win games when the offense can only get into the endzone once a game.

10. bringbackkotite

bringbackkotite New Member

i don't see anyone talking about the win on the road against the rams, but they're not as awful as people generally assume, and the jets handed them their ass.
    four of seven losses have come against sf, hou, and ne (twice), teams that have a combined record of 30-8-1. the defense, with no darelle revis and terrible linebackers and no pass rush at all, is currently ranked 8th in total yards against.
    the problem is that the jets have played so incredibly poorly in five of their losses that everyone in and out of the league knows how enormous the team's weaknesses are. they probably don't deserve to make the postseason, but it is certainly possible as they've shown throughout rex's tenure the ability to humiliate terrible offenses around the league.
    my dream scenario is indy dropping its final three and losing the head-to-head tiebreak with the jets for the sixth spot.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

That offense dinks and dunks at will. The D was great that day giving up 380 yds and 20 pts to NE offense WELL below their season avg. The 9 pts we spotted them via ST and safety were killer.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

You said "clearly outplayed". The Jets won the game 23-20 in OT. The Miami kicker missed a FG to win the game. Again I'll ask.....what game were you watching where the Jets "clearly" outplayed them?

13. Big Blocker

Well, the first NE game COULD have been a win, but Sanchez gave it to the Pats. Last I checked he's still the starting Qb, unfortunately. So that loss is very much an indication of who the Jets are.

As for the Houston game, I am not sure what the argument is, other than the final score was only a six point spread. The O only scored one TD, with seven points resulting from McKnight's return for a TD. Sanchez was awful, Greene was mediocre, and the CS made several questionable calls. The D was great in defending the pass, but not so great with the run. I have a hard time seeing how that was a game the Jets should have won, unless of course the Jets had someone other than ol' #6 at Qb.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

They won by 6, but remember we were going in for a field goal/touchdown to end the half. They return it to their own goal line and kick a field goal.

At least a 6 point swing right there.

As for the Patriots game, if you don't let their punt team get a touchdown, we win that game.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to remember about having Sanchez at QB is that the position gets too much weight in most cases, good and bad.

Philip Rivers is a much better QB than Sanchez but the Chargers are still 5-8. Turns out he needed Vincent Jackson more than people thought. The last time the Chargers were a good team he had LT, Jackson, Gates and a host of good skill players behind them. Now he has just Gates and they've gotten worse and worse as the talent at the skill positions thinned out.

Put him on the Jets right now and I'm not sure the Jets have 6 wins at this point. Sanchez sucks but at least he knows how to suck with no talent around him. Rivers might be doing a Carson Palmer imitation on this team.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

In all fairness to Rivers,,,,yes much like Sanchez he has mad some very ill advised throws but he also has Norv as a head coach,,not on off coordinator,,,,just saying

17. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

since we are talking about passes / dropped passes .. How do you think I feel about two miracle catches? :wink: .. It is what it is fellaz ..

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It wasn't just that. The Bills pass rushers were complaining after the game that they'd been told to play the run the first half and not go after the QB until they knew it was a pass. Gailey was basically telling them to play play-action like it was a run. If you do that then the pressure on Sanchez goes way down and his numbers get better.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

That Pats first game showed our team, inconsistent in all 3 phases. Special teams gave up 7 points and a bad kickoff return in OT. Offense had dropped passes, badly throw balls, and poor OL protection. The defense worked until the end of the game where they needed one stop twice and let up FG twice. And then of course the CS with some weird play calls and to top it off, some bad luck with the clock

20. Big Blocker

All true. That being the case, and despite the close score, I don't see the argument that the Jets had some kind of moral victory in losing that game.