WW85's 2013 ROUND 1 MOCK DRAFT (1.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Dec 11, 2012.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

My 1st Attempt at 2013's Round 1 Mock Draft.

Order is pretty close to week 15 standings.

I studied the needs of all 32 teams and also took into consideration the BPA too.

I know many may disagree with some picks. I have 3 QBs early based on needs of those teams and QBs are reached for early, even with a down year.

Comments appreciated, I will try to answer comments or questions.

1) Kansas City - Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

2) Jacksonville - Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

3) Oakland - Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

4) Philadelphia - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

5) Carolina - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

6) Tennessee - Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia

7) Arizona - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

8) Detroit - Dee Milliner, DB, Alabama

9) San Diego -Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

10) Buffalo - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

11) Miami - Keenan Allen, WR, California

12) Cleveland - Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

13) New Orleans - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

14) Tampa Bay - Jonathan Banks, CB, Miss St

15) St. Louis - Chance Warmack, OG, Bama

16) NY JETS - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

17) Cincinnati - Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

18) St. Louis - from Washington - Eric Reid, S, LSU

19) Dallas - Jon Cooper, OG, North Carolina

20) Minnesota - Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

21) Pittsburgh - Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia

22) Chicago Bears - Eric Fisher, OT, C. Michigan

23) Seattle - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

24) Indianapolis - Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

25) New York Giants - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

26) Green Bay - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

27) Baltimore - CJ Mosley, ILB, Bama

28) Denver - Jesse Williams, DT, Bama

29) San Francisco - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

30) New England - Barrett Jones, OG/C, Bama

31) Atlanta - Jordon Poyer, CB, Oregon

32) Houston - Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

A few things....

Jets first of course, had Warmack been available (going one selection earlier to St. Louis) I assume he would have been the guy?

Tyler Wilson #1? that just seems weird to me, that said if you need a QB, Geno and Barkley aren't worthy, but is Wilson?

Manti won't go #2, he just won't. ILB's just don't go that early, even the best barely go in the top 10.

Putting Star in Carolina would be the makings of a disgusting defense, that said i think the Panthers go offense there. They need to build an offensive talent base for Cam. I realize there isn't a worthy skill player available, but it they can't trade down, I expect a reach there....

Ansah is supposed to be a bit of a JPP clone right? so why would the Giants take him there? I realize they stockpile rushers, but the back 7 of that defense is in need of talent far more than an 8th pass rusher.

Terrence fucking Williams in GB? Are you serious, does Aaron Rodgers need another weapon? I mean its a clear case of BPA and he just makes that offense even more dangerous. But I really think that one will be a defensive player, but man it would be scary to see Williams as a Packer.

for San Fran, I would think their top pick would be an offensive player, simply because thats their weakest unit, but it's not like Mingo is a poor pick for them.

Overall I like it a lot. Never to early to talk the draft...

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Not my questions to answer obviously but I dont think its that crazy for Wilson to be the first QB selected. KC is desperate for a QB and Wilson (IMO) has a chance to be a stud. He was the victim of just plain terrible coaching but still put up very solid numbers at Arkansas. I'm thinking WW feels that he will impress come the Senior Bowl and the Combine/Workouts.

Again, I dont think this is too crazy either. Granted hes an ILB, but hes one HELL of a talent. That Jags D is terrible, they need someone special to build around on defense.

The Panthers run defense has been one of the worst 2 years in a row. Star is, well, a star. He'd be able to come in and make a huge impact on that defense with his superb ability to stop the run. Their offense was just plain bad this year, but not because of a lack of talent, I think they can definitely bounce back.

Edit: forgot to answer this but I think WW also drafted Ansah for the Giants since Osi will most likely not be back next year. And since they like to rotate ends so much, he'd be a very solid fit (BPA wise).

#3 JohnnyThaJet, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I can see us taking Reid there since Landry AND Bell are on 1 year deals but a fixture at RT isn't that bad. Austin Howard's been hit or miss in his 1st full year and I think we won't go to RT so soon. Maybe it might be a round 3 or 4 pick.

We need a locked up safety though if we can't resign Bell or Landry.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Quick, name the Giants pass rushers over 5 sacks this year?

If you said only JPP and Osi you are correct and they are only at 6.5 and 6 sacks. The Giants can use help along the line and Ansah would be a great rotational player for them.

Wilson is an interesting pick at #1 but this could be an odd draft. I see jones falling out of the top ten and Werner going up higher, but over all a very believable mock.

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

No argument on 3 QB's going in the top 10, it's a QB driven league and 3 teams are definitely a team in need of a QB, as are the Cardinals. Though I really think the Chiefs will go in a different direction than Tyler, I think they'll go Geno, or if the draft plays out like you project, Maybe trade back to a team that wants to get Teo.

Also one bit of good news, with strength of schedule I think the Jets choose ahead of the Rams at #15 with the Rams at #16.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

JTJ answered a lot of your concerns.

Barkley & Geno have been disappointing down the stretch, Wilson has more NFL attributes that teams will look at as we approach April.

Manti will and could go #2, you don't pass on a talent with his skillset and intangibles.

GB could use another WR, Jennings is on his way out, they cold also use a RB.

Carolina Offense???....you don't pass up Star for Lewan, who's maybe the next best Offensive player.

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

packer's go offensive line i think.

getting jake matthews makes sense, it's just that I don't want it. if chance warmack actually gets picked 1 before us ima be PISSED

9. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

How about trading down but not before the Patriots and drafting Tavon Austin?

10. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I would love that pick if we could secure Chase Thomas during round 2. I wouldn't be opposed to trading down our 1st round pick, take the BPA OT, gain an additional second or 3rd round pick and try to get an RB like Jawan Jamison/Stepfan Taylor out of it.

If we could come out of the first 3 rounds with a new starter-quality OT, LB, and RB, I would be extremely happy with this draft.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would love having Jake Matthews. you ever look at the Walter Football mock? for some reason they don't have Matthews going in the 1st or 2nd. must be some kind of error.

we have bigger needs than a receiver.

#11 Ozymandias, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

St Louis needs interior O-line very badly.

Matthews is going to be a solid player and I like the the idea of having a player we could move from RT to LT for insurance if Brick goes down. Also, if both guys are gone, Jonathan Cooper could be an option, he's not far behind Warmack in talent.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah like the matthews pick is a good one and makes sense, but i just wonder how bad howard actually is? like ive watched all the jets games and he seems capable in his first year after randomly being thrown into the roster. we might wanna see what we have in him instead of using a 1st round pick on a RT.

its really tough because there aren't any talented skill players at where we should be drafting

#13 Dom, Dec 12, 2012
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's a junior they may be projecting him to stay in college another year. Lots of underclassmen in this draft and it looks very different if a few of them stay out.

#14 Br4d, Dec 12, 2012
  15. Br4d

The reason you take Matthews over Warmack is that great RT's are harder to find and more important than great G's.

Think of it this way: if the Jets take Matthews they have a better chance of finding a G to replace Moore down the road. Austin Howard could even turn out to be the guy who can slide inside and do the job well. If they take Warmack they're still looking for a RT to solidify things and none of the guards on the roster can slide outside to do that job well.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

What has Howard done to show that he can't be a solid RT?

17. Br4d

He's allowed 7.5 sacks at RT despite the Jets playing one of the most conservative offensive game plans possible to date. He'll likely beat out Wayne Hunter for sacks allowed by the end of the year but the Jets will wind up passing at least 50 times fewer than they did in 2011, a 10% decrease in passes attempted.

For the record, Howard hasn't been terrible at RT. He's been an upgrade over Hunter especially in the run game. Not terrible is not the criteria the Jets should be looking for though. They should be looking for great.

#17 Br4d, Dec 12, 2012
  18. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Like it, very original.

You had me almost all the way their. Except on Eric Reid at 16. Reid is a very good player, that said I dont think he is the top safety in the class and I certainly dont see him going that high in round one, if he is even drafted in the first round at all

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

What about a play maker in round one ?

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

No one that would really fit value at that spot.