"Mark Sanchez Is A Bad Quarterback. That’s Why He Shouldn’t Try To Play It Safe."

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by displacedfan, Dec 6, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is a serious article from Deadspin. http://deadspin.com/5965609/mark-sa...houldnt-try-to-play-it-safe?tag=new-york-jets

Some excerpts below, there a lot of pictures breaking down some throws so didn't quote the article.

Now this might just be me, but this actually makes sense after reading/looking.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Sort of agree. However, that doesn't excuse redzone turnovers.

However, he really should try throwing deep. If it gets picked off, it really does function a lot like a punt when it's all said and done. Those are far less devastating than the afore-mentioned red zone/checkdown turnovers.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Many of us on here have been saying this from day one. He's not and never will be the "close to the vest / precision west coast offense" type QB. His best moments were when he improvised and made the "fuck it" deep play. The deep tosses (even if incomplete / int) at least provide enough of a threat to keep the safeties from stacking the box, opening up the running game.
    Where have those plays gone? The coaching staff so hell bent on preventing the inevitable Sanchez pick have tried to morph him into the short pass QB, but that has ridiculously backfired in more ways than 1. He obviously has limited vision the closer you get to the line of scrimmage, so not only do screen plays not work out well, the safeties and LBs are playing close shutting down the run game as well.
    We all know he's never going to be Tom Brady, so Fuck it, let it fly in a Rex Grossman way. At least an INT downfield is a punt compare to the turnovers near the line of scrimmage, and Greene may find some more running room.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, he's a gambler by nature. The fans are done with him though. He's reached the status that Richard Todd got to eventually where the good things that happen are discounted but the mistakes are all his.

It's a shame, because he might have been something special here but that's not going to happen now. The sooner the Jets figure that out and move on the better.

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

And that ladies and gentlemen, is the only comparison that'll ever be made between Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez.

6. Br4d

In a lot of ways this is not a fair analysis though.

In 2004 the Giants threw away a playoff spot by putting Eli Manning in at QB at mid-season. He blew chunks and they lost most of the games he started but the organization was very clear about what they were doing: they were developing their QB.

In 2009 the Jets almost threw away a playoff spot by putting Mark Sanchez in at QB. He blew chunks by mid-season and they lost most of the games in that span but the organization was very clear about what they were doing: they were going for a Super Bowl or bust.

They put the clamps on Sanchez and forced him into an ultra-conservative offensive style and essentially forbade him to turn the ball over in the minimal pass attempts they gave him.

The two organizations were diametrically opposed in their methods of developing two fairly similar talents, with somewhat similar qualities on the field.

#6 Br4d, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Imagine if Favre would've stuck around that season and Sanchez got to ride the pine? :sad:

8. Br4d

Yeah, but you'd still have had all the talent drop outs from 2011 to 2012. Mark Sanchez isn't the kind of QB who is going to put a team on his back and carry them to the playoffs. He'll do his share if everybody else is ready to go but he's not going to be the reason you are there.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's an excellent article, but I think there's a problem with it.

While it makes the convincing case that Sanchez in fact does a lousy job as a game manager, and is not at all suited for that kind of approach to quarterbacking, it implies that he'd be better letting it rip down field, with the great temptation being to add "just like Eli Manning."

I think that hardly follows. The argument is based on some little bit of stats showing that when Sanchez launches it downfield, his effectiveness moves up closer to mid pack status. As someone who has watched the games in total over the last four years, it should be obvious where the defect is in this thinking. The real problem is that the small sample of his efforts downfield reflects the Jets playcalling, and by extension how defenses play him. They play him up for the most part, and so obviously when the Jets change it up and launch it downfield, the D's are not covering the deep pass so much.

In short, I think if a sizeable increased amount of plays called by the Jets were bombs downfield, opponents would react to that. To me the key stat here is the one comparing how often Qb's who rely on the vertical game like Eli do go downfield compared to Marky Muck. I think it obvious that D's would react if that changed.

And it should also be obvious that if D's were prepared to defend the vertical game more than has been the case, his effectiveness going downfield would decrease.

Of course there could be a benefit to the running game with more vertical passes, but it has never seemed to work out that way when it has been tried. More to the point, a vertical game is contrary to the ground and pound approach Ryan has wanted.

Which leads us to the other obvious point coming out of that article, which is quite simply that Muck is not suited to the type of O Ryan wants.

You can't just say we will go conservative in our approach to the passing game, and find equal success doing so with all Qb's. We have all seen how Muck's accuracy blows on screen passes and short dump offs. How delays in check downs lead to interceptions. And how often those Int's turn into pick sixes, or even just bad field position.

Some here like Brad continue to make the point that the Jet CS improperly handled Sanchez's development. Certainly the decision to make him a game manager has proven to be ill conceived and has had a negative effect. I don't disagree with the point, but at this point, it's past any real opportunity to reboot and do it all over. He's finished in New York.

Time to move on.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's a reasonable argument in my opinion. Sanchez seems to play better when running a no huddle come from behind offense. Also his play dropped off considerably when Edwards left, and Edwards is the best deep threat the Jets have had since Sanchez took over.

Sanchez is clearly the problem with the Jets right now, but that problem isn't necessarily caused because he outright sucks, it's because the Jets coaches don't know how to use him and the Jets front office doesn't supply him with what he needs to succeed.

I doubt Mark is salvageable at this point, but the coaching staff and particularly the front office need to be held accountable first.

11. Br4d

The Sanchez Plan, whatever that was, clearly has failed at this point. Whether you think it has failed because Mark Sanchez wasn't as good as the people who put him in place thought or you think the surrounding talent wasn't as good as the people who put them in place thought or you think that the overall scheme for getting the most out of the two factors above wasn't as good as the people who put it into effect thought, the fact remains that the element present in all of those things was the people who put them in place.

It's pretty clear at this point that the Jets window has closed. It would be nice if somebody other than the guys who got us to this point was put in charge of levering it open again. There's no reason at this point to think the current FO can do that.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Would not surprise me if all we saw from Sanchez was checkdowns now. he is scared of creating any turnover

13. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

Eli was seriously accurate last year, and pretty damn good this year. Sanchez cant hit a freakin screen pass. This article is retarded. Yea Eli looked like crap a few years ago, that aint him anymore. Eli is not holding it to gamble, he is a professional qb like a couple dozen others in this league. He is holding it because he isn't afraid or crapping his pants like someone else is.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It's a solid point, if he's going to get picked off on simple plays like checkdowns and screens you may as well have it throw down the field. The worst case scenario is happening on simple plays.

jesus fucking christ that was painful to type

15. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If they let him play, he might get 10 turnovers in a game. He is that freaking bad.

Just take 3 knees, punt, and pray the defense can score at this point.

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

We tried letting Mark win games by passing early in 2011, we should have been 1-4 except for the good fortune of playing Romo.

There is nothing in Marks stats that suggest throwing more equates to more success, just the opposite actually. The more passing attempts he has, the lower his completion % goes. We've won games with him passing for 110 yards and lost games with him passing for 350+ yards. Statistic show the less Mark throws the better.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Eli a few years ago was at the same point of Sanchez. I would hope a 7 or 8 year Eli now is better than a 4 year Sanchez. The point was how the QBs were developed. Eli has the most turnovers in the league since Sanchez entered the league, yet the Giants have been able to succeed with him at QB.

18. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

please please...... get mark out of the game

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Rex should sign me for league minimum if he wants to not score and turn the ball over all the time. I'd be a much cheaper option than Sanchez. Shit, I bet I wouldn't even fumble the ball half as much as he does.

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I assume you also suffer from premature ejaculation.