If Tannenbaum is let go, who is a good Candidate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Romney....

2. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Oh yes, Mark Sanchez extension, Bart Scott, Calvin pace all great. o and wayne hunter before we got rid of him as well.

#22 Nilton, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Take Jeff Ireland.

I will personally pay for his plane flight up.

4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Someone from the Seahawks, 49ers, Steelers, or Green Bay...all teams that do good in the draft and free agency for the most part

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The idea that Tannenbaum has done a good job with the cap is laughable. Every team gets under the cap and it's not like we've been able to sign players when we've needed them. The Pace, Holmes, Scott and Sanchez deals are clearly bad deals and have been from the moment they were signed. The Revis band-aid is going to kick us in the nuts if we don't get an extension done this summer. There's a strong chance we lose half our defensive starters after this season, along with half of our offensive line.

Don't give me the "cap genius" line because it's a myth.

6. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Tanny must have a kickass drug connection, some pics of Woody diddling a Shetland pony, or some equally amazing non-football related asset to have held onto this job for this long. He has never been known as a talent evaluator, a person who could manage or construct a team, or a negotiator, but now even his supposed cap management (glorified accountant...) skills have been exposed. The man is an utter fraud.

Granted, yes, we have found some talent under his watch. So what? Even a blind mouse will find some cheese, ya know? Even Matt Millen found some talent, so I don't see that argument as having merit. It isn't that he rounds a couple winners but how many shots did he have to take to find those talents? Has he managed to increase the talent of the organization or has it decreased? According to Rexy boy this was the most talented team he ever had at the start of the season. Then he passed the pipe..... and passed out in a haze of smoke.

7. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

It is not necessarily that Tannenbaum is terrible with getting under the cap. It is more to do with his cap philosophy, which is to defer payments to future years so that they can fit players in in the present. The problem is when you get to those deferred years...as we are about to experience next year.

8. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

DeCosta for new Jets GM.

9. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan will be fired long before Tannenbaum gets fired. In my opinion.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

tannenbaums secret is that he is a liar and a scumbag

i mean how many times do guys have to come out and say the tannyman told me x,y,z if i signed and then did exactly the opposite?

that worked for him, it kept him under the cap and made him look good because he got guys to take less than market value and less than they wanted. if they didnt agree with him he did gay shit like put them with the rookies in camp and smear them in the media.

real douche type stuff.

well it worked for a little while, but people talk.. players talk and the begin to realize that he is full of shit and only wants to take advantage of them at any expense.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Based on what exactly?

There's a realistic chance the Jets don't even end this season with a "losing" record. There's plenty of evidence that the Jets are not completely horribly coached, but rather horribly staffed.

All signs point to Tannenbaum being this year's target for the axe.

12. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

I'd vote for that dude with the "I don't always drink beer" SIG.

Or me.

13. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Actually I nominate this dude.

I always laugh at 8-8 as a "bad" record after losing half of your dominate defense, your two most productive receivers, and your entire running game.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We definitely are missing at RB and QB that falls more on GM than coach. But hey Rex has this team playing and hasn't "lost the team" unless you listened to some fans who think we Rex lost the team after every loss.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Woody should ask Tannenbaum to do a workup on the actuarial tables for signing 28 year old average to above average players to long-term star level contracts (Pace/Scott). He should ask for the expected rate of return for extending and guaranteeing a QB headed into his 4th season when the 3rd season blew up in his face at the end. He should ask for the probability of success when picking players from small colleges with high picks (Kenrick Ellis). How about the odds on a guy from a second rate program getting picked in the second round (Vladimir Ducasse)?

Trade-ups? Hell, if the basic math above doesn't work out how do you expect anybody to be able to calculate the value of putting many selections into a few players?

It's just extremely painful watching the level of consistent mismanagement going on with the Jets over the last decade. Finishing second now and then doesn't make that any better because it's pretty clear things are now going to get worse, maybe much worse, before they get better.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Based on the fact that MT will spin this on Rex and make him the fall guy for his failure to put a good team on the field, did not Mangini get fired after going 9-7 in his last year?

#36 Red Menace, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I know we all hate Woody but geez, he's not THAT ignorant.

Mangini got fired but not equal circumstances. Mangini had Favre and a toilet bowl personality.

The Jets have accomplished more with Rex. Rex never got the benefit of Favre. Rex also has yet to go 4-12, something Mangini and Herm both did. It's premature to even say that Rex will have even have had a losing season after this year is done.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mangini got fired because when the boss spends as much money as Woody did in 2008 and gets no home playoff games when he was expecting one you get fired.

Tannenbaum will get fired for what Woody spent in 2008-2012 without getting a home playoff game.

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Tanny will be back and he will trade our 2nd rd pick and our 1st overall for 2014 to move up and get Manti Te'o, bet the house on it.

20. General Fan

General Fan New Member

Hard to gauge GM's since they're mostly people you've never heard about but based on the list provided by the OP: Gamble from the 49ers please.

To me the proof is on the field and in the coaching staff. If they had gotten Manning this would be a no brainer imho.