Should the Jets really pull the plug on Sanchez?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsFan26, Dec 2, 2012.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

And if Jets won't cut him, will it still be the same amount?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets don't cut him they are on the hook for the same 8.25 million guaranteed for 2013. They have a cap charge of 12.853 million for Sanchez for 2013. They have a cap charge of at least 4.3 million for 2014, even assuming they cut Sanchez then.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Nice... Thanks for explanation

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no they shouldn't pull the plug just yet. here's what needs to happen.

1. get a game changing rb. call jacksonville on mjd if they have to. but get a dynamic focal point rb to lean on

2. resign/ franchise keller.the offense would then be returning all the targets sanchez has worked with for atleast 1 year and keller,holme and kerley for atleast 2. he knows them and will feel comfortable.

3. draft a road grader for rg. ducasse will star at lg slauson comes back as depth

4. bring in a vet rt to compete with howard. howard hsan't been bad but can maybe be upgraded cheap

5. bring in a backup qb that could be a possible starter.(i am looking at you matt moore)
    starting in ota's it is a 3 way battle for the starting job. mcelroy sanchez and new guy.
    the battle will be trimmed to 2 before training camp. the starter will be announced before p.s. game 3.
    this way all the qb's know every snap is a must win.
    make sure mark understandshis contract has kkept himon the roster but willnnot guarentee his play time. worst case scenario is we still don't have a qb but will have everyting in place for a rookie to step in come 2014.

5. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

All that said, there is a way to trade him and save some cap room. Convert $3.95 million of next year's salary to a bonus and write him a check. That would reduce his salary next year to $4.3 million. Then, trade him to another team who would pick up his $4.3mil salary. This would lower the overall cap hit by $4.3 mil as well as that would go against the other team's cap.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Tebots have no cred to analyze anyone. Especially Kyle Orton.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I can't think of one single team who would commit such a trade.

8. Demosthenes9

You're going to franchise Keller and pay him Gronkowsi type money ? Why ?

As for MJD, how much are you going to pay him ?

9. Demosthenes9

Quite a few teams out there pay that kind of money to their backup QB. Some coach or FO will believe that they can "fix" Sanchize and that he's a steal at that price.

10. Demosthenes9

Oh cut the bullshit and get off your farking high horse.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, like Gholston, a move like that sets you back years. The Jets need to understand how the NFL is constructed, and get a real OC, and get one more pass catching option. Hill needs to be beat on till he learns to put his thumbs together, Kerley is coming on, you need one more guy, and someone that understands the passing game. Sparano, is not that guy.its the one area where he is not an improvement over Schotty

12. Demosthenes9

I'm not a Sparano fan, but some of his passing game has been spot on. No, it's not like Green Bay or New Orleans, but he's taking shots down field and receivers have been open.

Problem is, Mark hasn't hit them. Take that Seattle INT at the goal line. Absolutely perfect play design. 2 receivers wide open, good protection in the pocket. Only thing wrong with that play is that Sanchez was the one pulling the trigger.

With that said, Sparano has also called some boneheaded passing plays where the design has sucked. So, some good and some bad.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. Against Arizona Schillens was wide open and Sanchez hit him on the hands..l but there is no philosophical commit,ent to the 3 second pass play. But that's what the rules dictate.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

They should retool the team in a responsible productive manner and then give him another shot next year. Starting him the rest of this year makes no fucking sense

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

franchising keller assures he is back.he doesnt' get gronk $ he gets the average of the top 5. pretty sure the drop off from gronk is significant.

mjd can be signed. he is looking for years and guranteed $. that could be done in a cap friendly way. jags could have done it last year but the new owner didn't want to look weak.

the point is to get 1 weapon on this o and to give some consistency to the unit. both of which has been nonexistent in the 4 years mark has been here.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I like Sparano and I like the Erhardt-Perkins playbook. I think he's done a good job given the circumstances and the crap roster at his disposal. It irritates me to read people blame Sparano for the underperformance of this group. I think the design has been rock solid. We need more talent.

17. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

The Jets won't be able to use the tag on anyone. It just eats up too much cap. If they don't let Keller walk, they're much more likely to sign him long term and back-load the contract.

18. Demosthenes9

2012 Franchise tag value for TE was $5.446 mil. Projected value for 2013 is $5.55 mil.

Gronk's new contract is backloaded and those are option years. At this point, what the Pats are actually on the hook for is $18.23 over 4 years, or $4.55 mil per year. Pretty sure that's his guaranteed money and his signing bonuses.

19. Demosthenes9

I haven't liked his running game this year, though it seems to have changed as of late. Still think that the blocking schemes were drawn up by an 8th grader.

Also, unless there's something else going on behind the curtains, he has no clue how to use Tebow in his version of the WC.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Probably because we're running a man block scheme. Fact of matter is the OL has been better than last year, we've been running the ball in the right spots thing is we often dig a giant hole for ourselves which renders our run game moot. We've also faced 6 of the top 10 run Ds in the NFL in the first half of the sked. I really don't think design is the problem.

As for Tebow, well, I'd like to see him get carries. I don't think he's a QB and obviously I'm not alone.