IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetiron

jetiron New Member

Indy has 2 games vs Houston left. But the last game at home for Indy might be deciding factor for Indy playoff chance and Houston might not care too much if locked in playoff already. I didn't think Jets chances were good but after seeing some threads here...maybe...because we got a lineup of putz as opponents in our favor.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The only reason i knew that was that I just happened to use that as my second scenario in the playoff calculator after defaulting the higher "ranked" team to win and then making indy lose one other game (don't remember which one).

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

That's why, unfortunately, we have to root for the Patriots against the Texans. If the Texans lose that game they will HAVE to keep fighting all the way through week 17 in order to get the bye / highest rank.

4. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

After 12 games, we've seen this team get blown out at home by the dolphins, lose by 34 to the 49ers, get massacred on national tv on thanksgiving, and barely squeak by against the hapless Arizona Cardinals. Their 5 wins have come against Miami, Buffalo, Indy, Arizona, and St. Louis. They routinely get hammered by good-elite teams. Why would any one expect, let alone, root for these clowns to make the playoffs. Every win at this point is a step in the wrong direction and only breeds a false hope that we are only one or two players away from competing. Make no mistake about it, this team has major major holes at QB, RB, WR, OG, MLB & OLB. Making the playoffs would only maintain the status quo, and that would be disastrous.

5. Jetnut

Jetnut Member

Don't forget the Bengals are 7-5 also

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we lose one more game, kiss our slim playoff hopes goodbye.

7. NewYorkEveryThing

Well now that rex is going with his usc trash overrated worse 5th overall pick.

I guess we can forget about making any run at the playoff's.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from and agree, in principal. The point isn't to just make the playoffs and then get trounced, it's to win the Super Bowl and we obviously need work before we get there.

That being said, lots of teams routinely get hammered by "good-elite" teams because they are good to elite teams. We're basically in a race with the Bengals, Colts and Steelers for the final WC spot. Look at who they have Ws and Ls against.
    Bengals win against Browns, Redskins, Jags, Giants (good team), Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers. They lose to the Ravens, Phins (mediocre team), Browns (bad team), Steelers, Broncos. So one win against a good team but two losses to teams they should have beat.

Colts win against Vikings (medicore-bad at the time), Packers (good team), Browns, Titans, Dolphins, Jags, Bills, Lions (mediocre-good team). They lose to Bears, Jags (bad team), Jets (mediocre team), Pats. So one win against a good team and arguably the Lions as well but then two losses to teams that they could/should have beat.

Steelers win against Jets (mediocre), Eagles, Bengals (mediocre-good), Red Skins, Giants (good team), Chiefs, Ravens (good team). They lose to Broncos, Raiders (bad team), Titans (bad team), Ravens, Browns (bad team). So two wins against good teams but then three losses to bad teams they should have beat.

Realistically if the Jets win out the season it's hard to figure out which games they lost that they "should have" won. I would argue we should have split the series with the Dolphins and the Pats (or at least one of the two) but they are tougher opponents to sweep than teams like the Browns and Chiefs.

Again, I stress that if this team finishing 9-7 even if they miss the playoffs that is a pretty big accomplishment considering they were without Revis and Holmes for the vast majority of the season. With those two in the lineup you have to figure we get at minimum one more win if not two and we're in a whole different situation. So if we can upgrade our offense a bit in this upcoming offseason and get those two guys back there's no reason to think we can't be a 10 win team or better.

9. Axel3419

Because, IMO, winning is better than losing in almost every situation. I would rather go 4-0 and NOT make the playoffs than 0-4 because this team needs a winning attitude and in order to have a winning attitude it needs to win. Changes will be made regardless, in my opinion, and having a slightly worse draft pick is okay -- the Jets were never that good at picking studs in the draft anyway (though that is something we must change if we want to become a perennial contender)

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What? Making the playoffs would be disastrous? I don't know about you, but some of us are fans and don't root for our team to lose. That's a loser mentality. Any team can get hot and go on a run in the playoffs. If we made it I'd be hyped because we'd have done it without Holmes or Revis and had a better record than last year.

It's just hilarious how so many people want us to lose and tank to get a draft pick. Absolutely terrible how any fan could want that when we could still make the playoffs.

#410 Barcs, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I would never trade a playoff appearance to pick 16 instead of 22. Playoffs don't come to teams every season unless you are a fan of a select few teams in the league, but the Jets have made it 7 times in 14 years and i loved every time.

12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

We are not, I repeat, we are not going to the playoffs.

The Steelers will beat the Chargers, Bengals and Browns, maybe even Dallas, and Indianapolis will beat Tennessee and Kansas City, not to mention possibly a Houston team in Week 17 who may be resting the majority of their starters.

2-2 is all Pittsburgh and Indianapolis need to do in their final four games while we would have to go 4-0. Sorry, that's not going to happen with Mark Sanchez to begin with and if by some miracle it does, it still won't be enough and deservedly so. I'd rather not see my team get beat by 20-30 points on Wild Card weekend because other teams collapsed and they beat a handful of other shit teams.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

You never know what can happen in the playoffs. I remember losing to NE 45-3 and going up there in the playoffs and laying some wood on their smug asses.

You make the playoffs - no matter how you get there you deserve it. Some teams start hot and get cold and get in ... other stay consistent and get in...others start off slow and come on at the end. You go 5-0 in your last five to get in you deserve to get in.

14. Axel3419

Many have that opinion; I think there's only a slim chance of making the playoffs too, but this thread is about looking at the ways in which we might make the playoffs, because there are a few different scenarios in which the Jets WOULD make it.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It just sucks, as bad as 12 has been, if we had just 1 more win wed have a great shot.

Its a shame we didnt pull out the Patriots or Texans game. Dolphins game to...

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

All it takes, is for us to get in there. We have shown that we are a very good team in the playoffs. A lot needs to happen, but it is possible

17. Axel3419

or Seahawks...

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

As I said earlier, im cheering for the pats monday night, If Houston wins they will basically take the 1 seed, If pats win then the texans will be forced to play the rest of their games, so it will give the jets a chance if they beat indy twice.

Go Pats monday nite, and rest of season for the jets sake

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The giants screwed us by losing to the bengals and steelers.

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

But they helped out by losing to the Redskins. Cowboys should be extra motivated being only one game out of the division and wild card. And they play Pitt and Cincy back to back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.