Will the screen pass be back in the offense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

now that it looks like mcelroy and/or tebow will be playing QB next sunday, do you think the screen pass will be back in the offense?

say what you want about mark, but he really struggled to execute that play. at the same time it can be a real weapon for our offense with the backs we have.

2. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Really. What kind of person messes up a screen play.

Fake look downfield while keeping your RB in your vision. When LBs/DE passes him you throw above the defender letting him catch it on the run. Blockers ahead.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dont jump the gun...Rex probably may still go with Sanchez and fuck this whole good mood up

4. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

when mcelroy dumped off the ball to bell, i was so happy. a simple, smart play. unfortunately bell threw the ball to the defender (wtf?!) but it was a nice play by mcelroy. something i hadnt seen it yeeeeeears.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Screen pass is way to complex for this offense, So is a simple dump off

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

that is a really sad statement. This is a basic play and staple for all football leagues pop warner to NFL.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea well with Sanchez its true,MclRoy might be able to do the little things right,How many times have you seen Sanchez throw a dump off pass to the RB 5 feet over his head it happend on sunday

8. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

hopefully. The screen pass is a great weapon to slow down a pass rush and also to give the offense some rhythm. Suckchez has difficulty with that pass unfortunately. I'd like see Mcelroy throw some, Mac also showed nifty ball-handling skills with the mis-direction runs which is something I've never seen suckchez do.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

The Jets won't ever be a great screen team as long as Shonn Greene is in the backfield.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I hope so, it's a good weapon for sure

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Bilal powell.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Sanchez's innacuracy made it almost impossible to throw to RBs not named LT. Almost all his passes are thrown very hard and behind the RB or high with no touch on the ball. LT was very good at making bad passes look good. But most RBs cannot turn their body while running full speed to catch an errant Sanchez pass. A good example was LT's pass against NE in the playoff win. Sanchez though a 4 yard bullet to LT while LT was running across the middle. The ball was thrown high and in most cases would would be tipped up into the air and possibly intercepted. LT reached up and pulled it in like it was routine. Greene and Powell do not have the skills to pull in errant Sanchez passes. Add in that screen passes require finesse, touch and timing its quite obvious we cannot run such plays with Sanchez as QB. For a quick recap of what happens when Sanchez tries to throw a screen look at the SF game.

With McElroy at Qb who is basically the anti-Sanchez having intelligence, football IQ, mobility, pocket presence, touch on balls and a feel for the game it is likely we incorporate screen passes and passes to the RBs back into the game. But keep in mind McElroy is basically a red shiirt freshman who has not taken more than a handful of snaps since the pre-season. Last week was the first time ever he even suited up, was active and sat on the sidelines. It is going to take awhile for him to learn the playbook, get a feel for the game and the team and for coaches to build a gameplan around him. It will likely take a lot longer than the 4 games we have left. It is unlikely McElroy will last that long.

13. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

You gathered all that about McElroy from 7 pass attempts?

#13 TheJetChase, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. Lo_gan_7

Lo_gan_7 Member

I never played organized football, but even my friends in a backyard knew how to work a screen pass. Was it just some sort of Chuck Knoblauch-esqe mental disaster or something that made Sanchez screw it up?

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I could see why even with McElroy we might stay away from the RB screen with Greene in there. WOuld like to see Powell and McKnight run it.

WR screen, I guess to Kerley. You need the CB away from the line to run it and some good timing. Sanchez never had that with is WR, maybe McElroy will.

16. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

its hard because greene has stone hands and if we use mcknight for screens itll be obvious when we bring him in

17. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Noam... No.

"With McElroy at Qb who is basically the anti-Sanchez having intelligence, football IQ, mobility, pocket presence, touch on balls and a feel for the game it is likely we incorporate screen passes and passes to the RBs back into the game. But keep in mind McElroy is basically a red shiirt freshman who has not taken more than a handful of snaps since the pre-season."

They guy threw 7 passes and was carried by the running game. I hope be succeeds but c'mon!

18. 624

624 Banned

here's a guy who plays Madden