Nmandi Ashomougha Is WAY Overrated

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Never wanted him in the first place, I don't think he's better than Cromartie.

I said at the time here and to friends that all these people saying he was the equal or just a shade below Revis were crazy. Nobody threw on him in Oakland because their run D stunk !!

He'd be getting ROASTED in Philly if not for Andy Reid. He's had a poor 2 years there, at best average to a bit above. I'm not even sure he's Philly's best corner.

Tons of missed tackles, blown coverages, beaten for balls in his grasp, etc.

Again....Philly fans are giving him a pass because they want Reid/Vick/Lurie out.

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

He was never a good tackler, but I wached him every week in Oakland (I lived in LA) and he was unbelievable. He's being put in a position to fail in Philly, He plays Press an insane amount I think PFF had it at something like 90% of snaps, more than twice as many as the next closest corner. You can't do that unless you have an excellent pass rush.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cromartie nailed that Ram yesterday which means he really is trying to play like Revis this year. Love it. It all worked out in the end for the Jets, as Cromartie has got with the program.

4. JetsKickAss

Cellar, you think he's still an elite CB and it's the system ????

I see him 1-on-1 and he's getting beat, balls taken away from him, not getting his hands on them, etc.

I always though paying for 2 elite CBs was overkill but I'm more and more convinced that at best Ashomouga is just a good CB, not great and no way elite.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I think this speaks volumes as yet another example of poor player evaluation done by GM Tannenbaum & HC Ryan,.....maybe even D Coordinator Mike Pettine.
    Just because we didnt land the guy doesnt mean the front office is off the hook for his pursuit.

Fire Tanny. Rex has 1 more year.

6. Cellar-door

I think he lost a step, he used to be nearly or as good as Revis, now he's more in the range of other good CBs.
    A lot of it is that in that system they misuse him, asking him to play zone, putting him in run support, blitzing him etc.
    A great example is the DET game a few weeks ago. He flat out shut down Calvin Johnson through 3 quarters of being assigned to shadow him 1 catch for 28 yards on 6 targets and Asomugha had a pick.
    Then in the 4th they started blitzing more, went to some zone, and Asomugha wasn't on Johnson anymore. Johnson promptly destroyed Rodgers-Cromartie and Allen.
    He can be great if you let him press man cover the other team's #1, but not even Revis can do that with no pass rush. Blitzing him, playing him in zone and such is idiotic.
    I'd say in a better system he's probably still the 2nd or 3rd best corner in the league, better than Cromartie certainly.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yup, regardless of his positioning in philly, he still looked like garbage yesterday and blew coverage more than a few times. I'm very happy we didn't sign this guy. Cromartie is better.

8. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

And cheaper :up:

9. JetsKickAss

Interesting, good points even though we disagree on how good he is. Thanks !

BTW, for the same $$$ I might go with NA...but for less $$$, I think Cro was the better deal. We have enough problem keeping Revis, imagine trying to keep 2 Revis' ????

10. JetsKickAss

Did you see the game ? Who was Nmandi on -- Bryant ?

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Agreed, he was the best defensive player in football for a few years. Too bad he wasted his prime in Oakland.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

13. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I wanted him too, but looking back now thank GOODNESS we didn't get him. Cro has REALLY grown into what he looked like his first year out of school. And Asoshit sucks!

14. Vic

Vic Member

Cellar-door is right on the money. I live in the LA area so I also see a lot of Raider games. Ashomougha's a beast. He's not being used properly in Philly. Having him play zone as much as they do is just fuckin retarded. On the Jets he'd still be one of the best DB's in the league. There's a reason why he had his best years under Rob Ryan why he's so coveted by both Rex and Rob.

15. Cellar-door

What in the world are they doing with him?
    Watching tonight's game, they hd him play man for the first 8 yards, then hand the guy off to the safety or LB if he cut, and go to deep zone on a bunch of plays. It was so stupid.
    On one play they had him play man for 10 yards then sag into a middle zone handing Smith off to the safety, but no one covered Lafell man, so Asomugha had to try and get all the way back out to him after the handoff.