Are we going to be in salary cap hell in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Nov 20, 2012.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

2010 roster was better then 08'. Hence the AFC championship An we didn't make the play offs in 2008.

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Yes, we are.

We may be able to release some players and get around $10-12 million under the cap, but that $10-12 million needs to be used to sign 20 players. How's that going to work? Who are you signing that's going to improve the team in 2013, or are you going to rely on rookies again?

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

If Brett Favre's biceps don't explode the 2008 Jets reach the post-season. What happens there, who knows.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You can add another $100K to our cap when Tanny extends Tebow's contract through 2020. :breakdance:

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

same story every year -- oh my god we will be a mess because of the cap!!!! What will we do!! Oh they cut who and reworked what? So we have money now? Oh okay no worries.

6. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

"Cap Hell". Overrated phrase and means absolutely nothing. Washington and Dallas have been in cap hell for years. If the Jets want to sign someone they will be able to do that. It is someone's business though and there is financial responsibility.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we are couting on the draft to fix our offense we are gonna be here for awile.It will take years to fix this offense via the draft.We need to sign atleast 1 other top WR in free agency

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

why do fans even bother to worry about salary cap? Mr. T runs the team and he deals w/Cap issues. If any of you genuises think you can do a better job submit a resume and see if you get an interview.

9. Professor Frink

It's unfortunate how few fans understand how NFL contracts and the salary cap actually work. I'll do my best to lay out clearly exactly what the Jets' options are.

The 2013 Salary Cap is expected to be $123M. The Jets will have $5M rollover, so their number is $128M. Just a reminder, the cap isn't about how much you spend, it's about how much you account for. When teams restructure a contract for cap purposes, they often pay the player the same amount, they just account for it in future years.

So their current number is $142M, but as others have already pointed out, Pace, Scott, and J Smith are pretty much guaranteed cuts. The $27.6M they save gives them $13.4M to play with at the beginning of free agency. But given all the holes they have, that probably won't be enough. I see three different categories of players they can approach for cap savings.

Category 1: Eric Smith and Sione Pouha

Both of these guys are older players who probably aren't a part of the long term picture, so you can threaten them with cuts if they don't agree to a restructure. Smith is straightforward, he is scheduled to make $3M, and their is no dead money, so so they either keep him and save $2M or cut him and save all 3.

Pouha has a little more leverage, because cutting him would result in $2.3M in dead money, plus he is a better player. Still though, he's scheduled to make $5M next year, and I can pretty much guarantee they won't pay him that. So they'll either reduce his pay by a couple million or cut him and save $3.8M.

So between those two players, they will save somewhere between $4-6.8M.

Category 2: Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Brick is scheduled to make $8M, and Mangold $6.1M. Obviously neither of them are gonna get cut, so that's money the Jets have to pay them. However, they are both locked up through 2017, so they can spread that money out over 5 years if they want. They could save as much as $9.6M with just those two restructuring.

At this point they have somewhere between $27-29.8M to work with, which is a lot, but they have a lot of guys they need to sign. I'd bet they can sign anyone they would be interested in signing, and structure their contract to easily fit under the cap. However, if for any reason they want more space, their is still the third category.

Category 3: David Harris and Antonio Cromartie

Harris is suppose to make $11M and Cro $9.5M, but they are only signed through 2014, so their isn't a lot of space to spread out that money. The reason I don't think they will be restructured is because they already have big cap numbers for 2014 ($7M and $10.75M respectively) and I don't think they're gonna want to make that number, and the potential dead money, even bigger. You could potentially extend them, but if you're gonna do that then you're probably gonna have to pay them more money.

So basically, fiscally speaking, the Jets are fine. They suffered their lumps this past offseason, and now some financial flexibility. What the real issue is, they have more holes then they can fix in a single offseason. They need 3 starting OLs, a starting and backup TE, another WR, another RB, two or three OLBs, an ILB, and two starting safeties. It's gonna be tough to find all that in free agency and the draft. So you have money, the question is, do you trust Tannenbaum to spend it wisely?

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Oh yeah, the biceps exploded. Whatever. He was still healthy enough to start so end of discussion there.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Right on money. However, the problem is, we have more than 11 starters to sign with the 28mil u suggested. By far not enough money to put a playoff contending team on the field. There has to be a trade for Santonio Holmes for us to have some flexibility, and thats not going to happen.

12. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

that is some interesting logic

13. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Doesn't matter what Tanny thinks, he'll be gone next year. He's done a terrible job setting up this offense.

14. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Cap Hell? No. Difficulty... yes

The problem is going to be that there isn't enough cap space even with all the speculated cap saving cuts and some restructures to make this team a superbowl contender next year.
    In some ways I think the best moves would be to make some cuts, and not restructure anyone in a way that guarantees money for 2014.
    This team needs a true rebuild and 2014 is a great opportunity to drastically slash commitments and be aggressive in the FA market.
    The cap commits in 2014 are 95M, but 22 more can be saved by dumping Pouha, Sanchez and Scott. If you add Holmes you get another 8M.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I know this is sacrilege, but there should be some thought given to trading Revis. The savings on the cap will be $10-12 million a year and the Jets pull in an extra 2 top draft picks. This team needs youth and players and the draft is the only way this team is going to pull out of it. Having the best CB in the NFL doesn't seem to matter very much when good offenses use 4-5 receiver sets and Revis can cover only 1.

16. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

I am ok with this. We won't be contending in his prime and I hate his near annual contract renegotiating demands.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for some time. I'd call this a 'naive' approach to the salary cap.

To state the starting point:

1. With rollover and whatnot, Jets will have some 128M to play with.
    2. If we take out the punter and kicker (and probably about 2M in salary to be generous)
    we'd have 126M to fit 51 players.
    3. I'd assume (in a very naive fashion) that there will be 22 starters, and 29 backups.
    4. Another naive assumption is, back ups get 500k on average, and starters get the rest.
    5. Last naive assumption is... Jets will spend up to the cap.

==========================================================

So... let's start. 29*.50 = 14.5M. (Actual cap figure for the fringe players: 9.6M)

126 - 14.5 = 113.5M
    104.25/22 = 5.07M <- every starter should get this much, theoretically.

So, on a normal, even talent distribution (1) with even split between offense and defense (2), it's easy to see how much each starter is worth.

What's clear from the distribution of the lower end of the salary is that Jets do not value developing young players and keeping depth/role players that much. (near 5M difference.) - but I digress.

That said... on an even distribution, with 50/50 split between offense and defense, we now know how much each player is worth *in theory.* Remember, this is based on naive assumption that every player fills the roster with same level of importance.

Also, that split above does not address any position. That's the breakdown for every starting player. You can safely assume that the number above is not counting on giving a FB 5M of salary.

That said... it's very clear that, unless you are paying the best QB in the league (that can enhance the entire offense) paying anyone near 10M of cap figure is not a sustainable solution under any circumstance. If anyone picks up that extra 5M, the other 10 starters have to take 500k less to make that happen - and the quality drops accordingly. If you have more than one player that commands such salary? You can safely expect to have either 1. cap hell just around the corner or 2. offense/defense that is not functional. This is very clear, if we assume (again, naively) that salary cap figure represents the talent level of the individual.

As it stands, Jets are paying huge top dollars to a selected few. Here is the list - the figure in parenthesis is surplus cap figure (respective cap figure - 5) in millions:

David Harris (+8)
    Mark Sanchez (+7.8)
    Santonio Holmes (+7.5)
    Calvin Pace (+6.5)
    Antonio Cromartie (+5.75)

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (+5.71)
    Nick Mangold (+4.117)
    Darrelle Revis (+4)
    Bart Scott (+3.65)
    Sione Pouha (+1.16)

That's a gross over-payment by 54M. They take their share of 5M already - so that means the salary cap is concentrated on these ten individuals, at 100+M. The scary part? ten players do not fill even one side of the starting roster. In case of the Jets, this comes after suppressing the salary of the fringe players by good 5M. Just what kind of bullshit mess did Tannenbaum create here? Wanna know scarier part? Getting rid of both Scott and Pace will still result in good 80M stuck to these (now 8) players. That will remain even after next season.

Whoever structured this roster should know this is not a sustainable situation. No wonder Jets do not have much to play with come free agency. No wonder the team lacks talent all over the board. No wonder this team is a joke.

By now, I am rather convinced that it will take a full-sized house cleaning to get started.

And that bean counter shouldn't be entrusted with GM responsibilities. Period.

#37 Zach, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  18. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Tanny is a cap genius like those guys selling mortgage-backed securities were financial geniuses – until they weren't. Eventually the chickens (or vultures) WILL come home to roost.

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Watch Landry get signed by NE in the offseason. He comes back to the Meadowlands and maims a recovering Holmes.

20. kellypkjoe

kellypkjoe New Member

Yeah cut Sanchez and still have his his 2013 money GUARANTEED so you save ZIP!!!!!