Any game changing running backs?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DMarsh6, Nov 21, 2012.

1. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

After seeing what Doug Martin did for Josh Freeman, Ray Rice for Flacco, Peterson for Ponder, etcetera, its clear that young quarterbacks need a dynamic running back to help them succeed. Are there any running backs in this draft class of this caliber? I haven't seen any info on a sure pick game changer except maybe Lattimore but he's done... Is there anyone you think that falls into this category that the jets can snag up?

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think Gio Bernard falls into that category... Maybe even Joseph Randle and Jawan Jamison. This draft doesnt have an elite RB but there are a lot of quality ones.

I loved Doug Martin last year and was one of his biggest supporters here... I might like Gio Bernard more though. He has excellent instincts as a runner (ability to read blockers, feel for the game and vision) and is a very good athlete. His body is a similar mold to that of Doug Martin but I think his instincts as a runner are better. He can also catch out of the back field and block. He is probably looking at he bottom third of the 1st round right now.

Jawan Jamison will draw comparisons to Ray Rice, simply because they are from the same school. He's built similarly, but doesn't have as big/developed lower body as Rice. He has great athleticism and can make defenders miss and can also run through them. If he declares, he'll most likely be the #2 ranked RB.

Stepfan Taylor, Joseph Randle, Leveon Bell, Mike Gillislee, Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin, Andre Ellington and Kenjon Barner could all be selected by day 2 and would provide an immediate impact also.

3. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Sounds like a pretty deep class... Jawan Jamison looked really small but definitely can make people miss. I'm new to this whole draft thing so thanks for the info I'll do some more research on everyone you listed

4. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

My personal favorite is Gio Bernard. I think he has the ability to be one of the better RB's in the NFL some day. I also like Stepfan Taylor a lot. He would be a great 2nd or 3rd round pick.

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Its really depressing what happened to Lattimore, he fits the mold of a "game changing RB".

As for this draft, there is plenty of potential but no sure fire picks at RB besides Gio. An interesting pick for us in the mid to later rounds, or depending on where is value falls, is Ray Graham. He's still not his old self but prior to his injury, he was one of the best RBs in the country. If he can somehow play at his former level, he's a steal.

6. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

Montee Ball?

7. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

He's been used a ton at Wisconsin and clearly not playing as well as he did last season. Solid defensive teams like Oregon State, Nebraska, and Michigan State have shut him down.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Jamison is 5'8/5'9 and 200 lbs. He could probably add 5-8 pounds and maintain his agility and quickness.

Honestly, I would love to take Lattimore in the later rounds as a flier, assuming he comes out. I think Lattimore should come out and do what McGahee did- rehab in NFL facilities and sit out a year. His stock isnt going to get much better than a 3rd round pick if he were to do extremely well when he comes back. He will probably be out until october and only have a fraction of the season to prove himself. The difference in pay between a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick isnt that much either. If Lattimore could even be 80% of what he was he would still be better than any RB on this team.

Ray Graham was a gamebreaker last year and has gradually been getting better. He wouldnt be that workhorse, but he could probably be what we had originally envisioned with McKnight (who I still believe is completely underused).

9. Titans

Titans Member

You obviously haven't seen his last 5 games he is back in a big way baby. Remember he was hurt in the fight before the season started and a few other nagging injuries he is back to 100% and 1417 yards on 284 carries thats a 5.0 yard per carry average plus 17 TD's not a bad off year...lol

#9 Titans, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  10. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

UCLA Alum, who lives in LA...I think Jonathan Franklin is the real deal; elite vision, quick feet , great elusiveness, and surprisingly tough to bring down. Not sure where he rates out with all the draft gurus, but mark my words he will be a stud, just hoping its for the Jets.

11. NFL

NFL Active Member

I would really for the jets to pick up quick speedy back this offseason. Hopefully 2nd or 3rd round.