JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, but If the Jets draft defense in the first round I will riot Florham Park, NJ.

Te'o is a great player and he's probably the only guy I would consider on defense, but when your offense is this PITIFUL. You have to select offense. You just have to!!

WR, OL, RB, QB all of these positions can be considered depending on the guy and the spot.. and there's plenty to choose from. Don't overthink it - don't draft a project or for potential, just draft based on the guys results, abilities and experience.

Luke Joeckel OT, Keenan Allen WR, Justin Hunter WR, Robert Woods WR..... all three guys have produced for multiple years at the highest levels of College Football and could be available when the NYJ pick. Select one of them and you make an improvement to this putrid offense.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You better get your Pitchforks and Torches ready.

I study College Football and the Draft 356/24/7, trust me, at this point in time, and drafting in the single digits, they're very few to no offense players worth the value.

The players you mentioned, Woods is a late rd 1 value, Allen got hurt and it's going to effect his draft stock somewhat, Hunter is overrated and not producing as a top 10 pick. Joeckel is a borderline Top 10 pick, and I doubt we would spend that kind of cash on a RT.

The Jets need to take the BPA at the right value and if it's a defensive player to improve our old, slow LB group , so be it.

Te'o would be a welcome addition and a culture change to our defense.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly, as much as I want us to spend that early (as its looking) 1st round pick on offense, the value just isnt there. Unless we hire a new GM and HC who are willing to develop a young QB, Id rather not waste a pick on a QB because this regime can not develop a QB for shit. In my eyes, Geno Smith is the only QB that I would want this team to even think about spending a first round pick on in terms of a QB, and even then he's not the elite prospect that you look for...

There are some other decent developmental options at QB in the 2nd or 3rd that could would be nice... But they are just that, developmental picks.

For me, its either TeO, Jones or trade down. If both arent gone I pray we trade down. This team has a ton of holes and I want as many picks as we can get (but they only go so far considering this regime has proven they can not scout outside of round 1 for the life of them).

Ideally, I would love for us to trade down into the 16 range, pick up another 2nd and address OLB, RB, G, and RT/WR/TE in the first 3 rounds.

We just have really shitty timing, ya know. Last year the top of the draft was great... This year its not and we are talking about trading down to the spot we were last year where we last year.

Only if next years class was this years class... Teddy Bridgewater would be great, or Clowney... Oh well.

4. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

The value is on defense by far. We get the 3-4 OLB this year

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out a way to get

Jarvis Jones
    Robert Woods
    Eddie Lacy
    Larry Warford

in the top 3 rounds together

6. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I saw Mel Kiper Jr say that Manti Te'o should be the number one overal pick, even though he is an idiot, he might be right.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

It may just be me, but I have a hard time warming up to Eddie Lacy... I really do love his power and he has good vision, but I just think he runs with heavy feet. I mean I wouldn't mind him but he wouldnt be my ideal pick for a RB on the Jets. Also, I don't know if he's an ideal back with the way the NFL is now.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Te'o is a great player, I respect your opinion when it comes to draft matters, and maybe those guys I suggested aren't the greatest examples (I was just throwing out names) but I have to say I disagree with you when it comes to value in the draft. One of my favorite GMs, Bill Polian, paid about as much attention to a guy's draft value as I do to laundry (almost zero attention)

More and more I'm realizing that "value" in the draft is an overrated phenomenon. Look at Bruce Irvin last april, Seattle needed pass rush badly - selected him and got destroyed by the pundits for a bad value selection, but damn he is a force! 7 sacks in his first 10 games? I'd take that no matter where I'm selecting. C.J. Spiller was viewed as poor value, Freeney was viewed as ridiculously bad value, Polamalu, Andre Reed, etc... I could go on and on with players like this.

GMs get in trouble when they start focusing too much on value, I think. Sometimes you just have to go with what you need or what you really want, and not care what his value is.

Right now the Jets offense is absolutely terrible. But in 2013 when they line up to play, if they have better players its going to look better - value or not. They aren't going to lose games by having what's perceived as poor "value", but they are going to lose games if they don't address their needs.

9. McFreek

McFreek New Member

espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8623174/as-manti-teo-says-goodbye-south-bend-leaves-impact-larger-football-ncf

heres another really good article on Manti Te'o. Being a huge ND fan i hope to hell we can pick him up

10. What about Star? Jets obviously have good depth on the DL..but Star is downright dominant.He has one of the most explosive first steps the nose position has ever seen. You put that push in the middle of Rex's D along w/ what is already developing w/ the other youngsters under Dunbar..look out.

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Hands down star is my favorite player in this draft, I have been hyping him for a minute now

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Who knows if Rex will even be here next year...

13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Can Q stand up

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

no but it seems Ellis is more of a rotational D-Linemen and can play at each spot.

Having Wilk-Star-Q with Ellis rotating in would be something crazy for the next 8 years

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

there is no way we pass on Te'o in the first. Robert Woods could fall to the second and we can get him there.

16. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Normally I would agree with you, but tell me what player really deserves to go one overall? The QB class looks miserable. I cant think of a year where there is so little elite talent at the top of the class

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wow. first I'm hearing of this. his play doesn't seem to be affected as of now, and when the combine comes around and he performs like he's supposed to I don't think it will affect his stock, unless something unforeseen happens.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

He may not be affected now, but questions could arise about his longevity in the league.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yes, we absolutely could pass on Te'o. Inside linebacker is a position that has really dropped in importance recently with teams running more spread offenses. Te'o is a great player, but I don't think we have to take him if he's there by any stretch.

Curious to see who comes out and what pick the Jets end up getting. I'm not sure how I feel about Te'o. Love his leadership and I think that is something this team is sorely missing. He's also a fantastic player. But is he going to make enough impact plays on the next level to deserve taking him as high as we'd be taking him? That's my main question with him.