What if we make the switch Tebow, and makes the offense worse?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Diddy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

No 8-8 team makes the playoffs this year. Indy's got Jax, Buf, Det, Ten, KC left currently sitting at 6 wins and, even without Big Ben, PIT has SD, DAL, CIN, and two games vs CLE left.

While the loss vs MIA hurt the Jets have yet to lose a game that they were supposed to win because of Sanchez. If Sanchez looks like anything other than a steaming pile of crap vs STL and NE he's earned the starts vs ARI, JAX, TEN, SD, and BUF.

Disagree. I'd much rather fill the Jets' (many) holes with better draft picks than brag about almost winning a Super Bowl. You may have been correct two AFCCG's ago but now anything worse than a Super Bowl win may as well be a sub-.500 season (given the atrocious cap situation and everything else in the Jets' future).

#61 VanderbiltJets, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. THEGRIDIRONGEEKBR

THEGRIDIRONGEEKBR New Member

But you keep saying "not gonna happen" when it already *did* happen. Once Denver, a last-place horrorshow, switched to a run-heavy spread option they went 7 and 4 with a playoff win. Running yards are more valuable than passing yards, which means the overall stats are less important if you have a dominant ground game.

The three-and-out statistics are heavily weighted by the first two games, Miami and Detroit, where Tebow was mismatched in the offense. Yes, the Jets game was a very poor offensive performance (by both sides). But the Broncos were a sad sack desperately trying a brand new offense with very little preparation. You could take a QB who is normally great in the West Coast offense, install a different offense in training camp, then 6 weeks into the season said "we're gonna put in some plays" and install the West Coast offense right then and there...and you're going to struggle at times.

The point I'm making is that when Tebow's offense is bad, it's still safe and keeps you in the games. I will take 0 yards and a punt over the way some of the Jets' drives ended yesterday with completely disastrous turnovers & a QB who panics with the football. Tebow wouldn't move the ball on every drive, but he also wouldn't serve the win to his opponent on a platter like Mark Sanchez is doing.

3. VanderbiltJets

Elaborate..?

4. VanderbiltJets

Unless Tebow is Manning or Brady (which he isn't) it's much less likely/logical for him to repeat the success of past performances (and that's without delving into the fact that Tebow's broncos season may have been one of the luckiest seasons in NFL history. See: Prater, Matt).

If it happened to Cam Newton, it will happen to Tebow. Regression, regression, regression. Except while the former is talented the latter is lucky.

5. Potzer

Potzer New Member

11 Million is the number if he gets 70% of the starting snaps.

The 20 million number is if he were to win the superbowl while making the pro-bowl. Hence the pie in the sky comment.

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The kicker is $11 million. The elevated pay that comes from percentage of snaps is $11 million. The dollars above that involve things like pro bowl, etc. They are not worth worrying about.

If Tebow hits the percentage of start numbers, his contract will double in value from $11 million to $22 million (chargeable under the cap to multiple years, not just one year). He'll go from an average of $2 million to and average of just over $4 million a year. But the actual escalator will actually be paid in 2013 and 2014.

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Yeah, that.

8. VanderbiltJets

Thanks, I was too lazy to re-read

9. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I'll bet more young NFL QB's wish they were as "lucky" as Tebow, Newton included. Eh?

10. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Why would Newton want to be a backup QB on a bad team that is aging and has cap problems as opposed to the undisputed starter on a bad team that is younger and has less cap issues?

11. Cellar-door

Not sure where the idea that Tebow is some paragon of Ball security comes from.
    His INT% is better than Sanchez's per last year, but he took way more sacks and fumbled far more. In fact Tebow's sack rate was the highest in the league, as was his fumble rate. He led the league in total fumbles despite only starting 11 games.

12. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Only 7 fumbles resulted in a turn over. he also carried the ball a lot gaining over 600 yards. The dynamic was different. Its also his first 16 games ever started in the NFL. he was not a 4 year veteran.

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Nah, he was behind Blaine Gabbert and Matt Moore. Just ahead of Flacco, Sanchez, and Vick. This year, Cam and RG3 are on a pace to fumble it more than Tebow did (Sanchez, too).

I thought it was a pretty bad year for him, fumble-wise. Decent as far as interceptions.

It's just part of his game -- he protects the ball pretty well.

14. Cellar-door

You are looking at lost, I used total since recoveries are basically random. He gabbert and moore all had 14 Tebow had the least starts.

15. THEGRIDIRONGEEKBR

THEGRIDIRONGEEKBR New Member

I agree with Cowboy, the dynamic was different, but fumbling is something Tim definitely needs to improve on as a starter. Assuming he ever starts another game. The fumbles did mostly come late in the year when the Broncos looked overmatched and Tebow was pressing. It still shows great promise to go as long as he did without a turnover in midseason.

Just think of the two Sanchez turnovers on Sunday. Tebow would have plowed to the end zone instead of throwing it to a CB, and on the fumble/sack he would have either broken the tackle and took off running or gone down clutching the ball like it was the Ten Commandments.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

My stat site said 13 for Tebow. 14 for those other two.

17. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Newton would give his left nut to have the winning % as a starter in the NFL that Tebow has.

18. Cellar-door

Hmm yeah there seems to be inconsistencies I used profootballreference so I could get the INT% but looks like the nfl.com site has it at 13.

19. Cellar-door

Really? So everyone also wants to be Vince Young, or Russel Wilson,or Drew Henson or Brad Johnson?

20. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Would probably give both of his nuts to have a defense that holds teams to two scores or less much of the time too. His record would be nearly perfect.