QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd like to see the Jets get a dynamic #1 threat for Sanchez. Holmes is either a low end 1 or a high end 2 but not the sort of player I'm talking about.

When Sanchez was playing with Edwards, Holmes, and J-co he was very good in situations where he needed to be. The current group doesn't hold a candle to what those guys were.

Most mid range QBs have elite WRs to throw to, Sanchez does not. The running game is also not elite to take pressure off of Sanchez.

Look around the league at other mid-top level QBs that haven't won a Super Bowl and tell me how many have worse target groups than Sanchez does? Even with Holmes factored in?

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It would take a hell of a lot to get us to be "contenders". Right now, I'd settle for being "middle of the road" and being able to enjoy watching a game, as opposed to suffering through that humiliating disgust that was the Miami game.

3. Demosthenes9

Look around the league and see plenty of QBs playing well and putting up good numbers, much better than Sanchez has done, WITHOUT elite talent around them.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

So you admit he sucks. You obviously believe that he hasn't progressed since his second year, albeit, a weak accuse of the team around him. If he isn't progressing, he is regressing, and that is the point.

5. xxedge72x

Mark's completion percentage needs to jump about 10% without question. In my opinion that and his poor decision making under pressure are the two worst things about his game right now.

But I don't buy he's getting the proper help. Exactly who are you talking about that has a similar or worse situation and is playing profoundly better than Sanchez is right now?

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

How many dynamic 1's do you feel there are in the NFL right now? Let's say 10 (high) that leaves 22 teams without a dynamic 1.

Dynamic - Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson are just a couple that jump out to me.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, I admit this franchise has been run very poorly the last couple of years, which should result in Tannenbaum being fired. Obviously Sanchez has not played great, you can see that with your eyes, but he has not played bad enough to want someone else in there. The roster is terrible. Sparano seems to be a bad OC too (bad play calling). I am just realistic. Blaming Sanchez for the team's problems is ridiculous. He is obviously not a top QB, but he is also not bad enough to give up on either.

8. xxedge72x

How many QBs are in the NFL that make their receiving group that much better? Tom Brady? Drew Brees? Peyton Manning?

People here aren't calling for a mid level QB. They are calling for a QB who can take this group and turn them into a powerhouse. QBs like that are more rare than elite WRs.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

What about his footwork, play evaluation, and his mental inadequacies.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The OP is asking for Matt Flynn, and he has only started 2 games. I started a poll ranking Sanchez, and the general consensus was bottom 3rd. Considering that, a mid level QB would be an upgrade.

11. xxedge72x

That basically all ties in to the problems I described. Completion % isn't mechanical, its results. The mechanical aspects are helping cause the results.

He isn't a lost cause. His play isn't all bad all the time. He's doing a lot that makes you want to put your head through a wall but continued work combined with an improvement in the offensive development from the Jets FO can get him right where we need him.

I'll give you an example of a guy who I think is worse individually than Mark Sanchez who is playing great right now: Alex Smith. Every 49er fan I know can't wait for this guy to be gone... yet he's 6th in the NFL in passer rating. The 49ers have given him the weapons he needs to be successful and combined it with a powerhouse defense... the theory works. The 49ers have executed the theory in grand fashion, the Jets not so much.

If we can find an Aaron Rodgers or a Drew Brees to lead this team then great sign me up I'm all for it... but seriously trading for Matt Flynn? That's not going to solve any problems. Just getting any old QB to replace Sanchez won't fix anything. Sanchez can be as good as top 10-15 if the offense were setup right and he was allowed to have consistency within that offense. His ceiling is higher than any other QB in the mid level group.

So again, if we can get that can't miss sure to be amazing QB then awesome. Otherwise, stick with your investment, continue working towards making him better, and start putting emphasis on the offense in the draft, particularly the offensive line.

The only acceptable defensive investment at this point is a significant pass rushing OLB. Otherwise, the offense needs to become the focus of this FO.

EDIT: Also, if the Jets DID feel they find that QB in the draft, then I'm all for drafting that guy and letting him sit until he's actually ready, rather than throwing him into the fire like they did with Sanchez and expecting immediate results. If the Jets do draft that QB, then they need to supplement it with a heavy focus on offensive personnel so when that QB IS ready to go we're not handing him a bottom end NFL offense to run. Look at the way Aaron Rodgers was handled. I know we don't have Brett Favre... it doesn't matter. The Packers didn't let Rodgers step in with a garbage unit. The Jets should take a lesson from that.

#71 xxedge72x, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. Demosthenes9

Let's see. Tannehill in Miami. Yeah, Bush is there, but I wouldn't say he's elite. Dalton in Cincy. Gabbert in Jax. Bradford in St. Louis. Freeman in Tampa Bay. RGIII in Washington.

Aside from Gabbert, I'd take any of the above QBs over the Sanchez we see today. If you put any of them in the exact same situation as Sanchez, I think they would play better than he does.

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Sanchez has proven that he can not hit a pass on a consistent basis. He is under throwing, over throwing, throwing behind on almost every pass. This is evident by the amount of falling/diving catches by our mediocre WR's. There have been some drops, but that is part of the game. I do not care who is out there catching the ball, if the wide receiver, tight end, or the running back have to make tough catches, it limits the yards after the catch and makes it harder for the wide receivers. That is not an excuse for the person catching the ball. However, restricting even the worst wide receiver is a huge problem for this team.

That being said, the quarterback handles the ball on every play, and on all passing plays as well. Therefore, the quarterback is the sole person on offense that can make a difference on every play. People can blame whoever they want, but if the most important player on offense is ineffective, the offense will be ineffective. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.

14. xxedge72x

Tannehill is too young to know what he's made of yet. Tannehill also has a long way to go to accomplish what Sanchez did his rookie year.

Dalton has AJ Green.

I wouldn't touch Gabbert with a 10 foot pole.

Not a Bradford fan either, wouldn't take him over Sanchez.

Freeman has V-Jax now and a significantly worse record than Sanchez in his career to this point.

RGIII looks like an absolute stud and I'd take him over Sanchez in a heartbeat.

15. Demosthenes9

In most cases, you are talking about "records" while I am talking about here and now. I don't care what Freeman did in the past. I care about how he looks out on the field today. Whether he can hit receivers in stride. Whether he can throw it to the right person. Whether he does anything incredibly boneheaded to throw the game away.

Same with the other QBs on the list.

16. xxedge72x

Here and now is not how you develop an NFL team. It's very easy to say that in the last 3 weeks this QB or that QB has looked better than Sanchez but that doesn't give credit to the bigger picture that A) Sanchez has accomplished a lot which none of those QBs can claim the same and B) those QBs themselves have struggled mightily at times.

Further, based on how the Jets have handled Sanchez do you have ANY faith that if we did get one of those QBs that the Jets would suddenly handle THOSE QBs properly? Seriously, what have the Jets done to prove they can make any of those guys successful.

Short of Tom Brady or 3 or 4 others I don't see any QBs who can succeed in this environment.

17. McFreek

McFreek New Member

can we just a separate forum for all of these "how about ....." threads. There has been no rumor or anything of Flynn to Jets. I might as well start a thread called "how about drew brees or tom brady" We know sanchez is inconsistent but there is no need for a million of these types of threads

18. Demosthenes9

Good points. Would need to compartmentalize short term and long term plans. I don't think Sanchez is a good fit for either. I think he's done. Checked out. Reached his ceiling. Whatever you want to call it.

At this point, its just trying to salvage the season as there is no time for the wholesale restructuring that needs to take place.

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Its quite simple really, don't click on the thread. Wait, that isn't very simple.

20. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

I was just asking about Matt Flynn, not starting another thread about how bad Sanchez is. Who said anything about a rumor about Matt Flynn? Last I checked this is a forum to have discussions. So, all I was asking was thoughts of us going after Flynn. If you do not like these types of threads, you really do not have to click on the link. This is why I rarely post anymore.