Does Tebow give us a better shot of winning the second half of the season?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by ouchy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Because you're ridiculous and repetitive?

2. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Regardless of performance...

[​IMG]

3. MURDR

MURDR Banned

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put SOMEONE in. Whether it's Tebow, McElroy, a free agent, or me, I don't care. I jsut DO NOT want Sanchez ever playing a SINGLE down for this team again.

This coming from someone who used to be a HUGE HUGE HUGE supporter of him.

4. ppls17

ppls17 Member

Tebow reminds me of doug fluite he won but everyone always said he was a terrible qb and was consistantly given little chance to succeed. Tebows biggest weakness his accuracy (although very accurate in collge). Well sanchez has been god awful when it comes to accuracy this year. The wrs are dropping balls at times but they have also done a great job of constantly diving to the ground to catch passes. So if sanchez's only advantage over tebow is his accuracy and that isnt there what reason is there not to start him. We know tebow will at least add some passion and rushing yards to the offence i mean we are ground and pound arent we.

5. Potzer

Potzer New Member

SOJF

Seems fairly obvious.

6. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

They did have the best rushing attack, but only because they stuck with it so much and pretty much refused to pass more than 15-20 times per game. Most of the time they averaged about 3 or 4 yards per attempt on rushing, but racked them up because they ran it more than anyone else did. But considering the Broncos couldn't run the ball worth a damn for the prior couple of years, that was still a pretty huge improvment.

It didn't make up for the lack of passing though, because too often we only saw about 120 yards passing in a game, which is barely a half for most teams. Even having the #1 rushing attack, the overall offense was somewhere around #25.

Gotta have him throw it more, and he's gotta hit receivers when he does or having the best rushing attack won't work.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he certainly doesnt give us a lesser chance of winning

8. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Worked well enough to take them to the playoffs and win against the #1 defense in the league.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

god forbid someone use statistical evidence to prove your baseless claim wrong.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't dislike Sanchez as a starter bt I think that:

A) He's under more pressure than he can withstand.

B) His biggest problem (throwing without proper touch on the football) gets emphasized by the WRs we have (with shitty hands).

Tebow isn't as good a QB as Sanchez is but he can contribute in the rushing game and he will command more respect and leadership. So I'm all for giving him a shock... Sanchez and Rex, imo, are both too shellshocked.

PS honestly, out of the QBs on the roster I'd want to see McElroy to start. Maybe it's preseason goggles but I think he's the game manager we need.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Defense is having a hard enough time stopping people as it is.. Putting the added pressure of scoring less points and having many more 3 and outs from a Tebow led offense gives the Jets less of a chance of winning than with Mark Sanchez, even when Sanchez plays bad.

Also, it would stunt the development of the Jets young recievers, Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley. Kerley, inparticular is just starting to blossom and win or lose the rest of the season - it will be nice to find out how good he can be and just how much he can be counted on before next year when lots of decisions/changes will be made. Hill, obviously is very very raw. He needs experience running NFL routes and catching the ball. Scrapping the offense for Tebow's unconventional, backwards, and even marginally successful style, hurts Hill the most because it would mean having him run less routes, particularly creative NFL style short/intermediate routes. He would essentially just be blocking the majority of the time, and running deep routes, two things we already know he can do.

Denver's offensive line last year was much better than the Jets this year. Outside of the Colts game, they havent been able to run the ball at all. A Tebow led offense isn't going to be able to run the ball as well, and we already know his deficiencies throwing it-

Also, if you started Tebow it would mean never going back to Mark Sanchez. 1) because starting Tebow is a complete change in playcalling/philosophy, its very difficult to flip flop back and forth between these vastly different styles (you think they have confusion getting plays in right now? just wait..) and 2.) Mark Sanchez would most likely be ruined- if he already isn't.
    It wouldn't be like other QB changes where both QBs can run the team's offense so you can flip back and forth if need be...

So essentially switching to Tebow in the second half would be destructive because there's no reason to believe it would result in any better offensive play or wins, it stunts the development of younger players just for the short term, and it's NOT something you could try for a game or two then switch back if its a failure (which with the personnel, lack of execution, failings of Tebow, it most likely would be)

The only situation I could see using Tebow as a starter would in the last couple weeks if the wheels really come off the Jets. If they are 4-10 or something and they are completely ready to abandon Mark Sanchez for good, already have a good idea of where they stand in the future with the young players and allow Tebow to see what he can do running around the last two weeks.

But, I don't see them in that situation - they will probably play like they are the rest of the way, a very medicore/inconsistent team. They will probably finish between 6-10 and 8-8 and Sanchez will have his ups and downs. They will take their lumps but have a great opportunity to evaluate the young guys on offense and defense and its not out of the question they draft a young QB in April to learn behind Sanchez for another year while maintaining the wildcat role with Tebow.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Clearly I'm wrong. Forget the fact that the team that took him in the first round dumped him for whatever they could get. Forget the fact that he can't pass a shitty qb in Mark Sanchez on the depth chart. Forget the fact that the Jets rarely allow him to throw when he does touch the ball.

All you need is some stats to jerkoff to and it becomes obvious tebow is a good qb. Forget what's actually happening to his career. None of that matters because stats stats stats and a playoff win.

NFL decision makers don't want him to start. I wonder why? Must be because he's good but they have a personal problem with him.

13. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

[​IMG]

14. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

And... so what?

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Funny I remember Mark throwing a pick six against Denver last season while Tebow shoved the ball down our throat in crunch time and celebrated a win in our house.

No I wouldnt want to switch to that. Lets have him protect punts instead.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So you didn't really read the rest of my post? I mean, I get that you don't like Sanchez it probably kills you to see your boy sitting behind him but..

the WHAT is - that if (when?) Tebow fails as Jets QB in a game or two and its obvious, you can't go back to Mark Sanchez.

The Eagles make a switch at QB to the Rookie Foles, if he looks god awful or gets injured, they can always go back to Michael Vick. Foles runs the same Eagles offense, just tweaked a little.

The Jets wouldn't be afforded that luxury, or it would be much more difficult/confusing/destructive to make the switch.

17. Concerned_Citizen

Only when he has a team holding the other teams to 10 points. Wouldn't have worked otherwise.

18. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I read your post. My brain is still hurting.

Point is, I don't buy the argument that because people think Sanchez is mentally weak and getting benched would destroy him is a reason to keep losing with him. Firstly, I don't think it will destroy him, but secondly, if it did that is his own problem. He is a professional athlete, so he better grow up.

Third, I don't understand the absolutist theory that it is impossible to go back to him if they start Tebow. Why not?

Fourth, Tebow just may succeed. Who knows? The Jets may not want to go back to Sanchez.

19. Concerned_Citizen

Depends on how the players on the team view Tebow. Seems players around the league voted Tebow as the most overrated. Have no idea how many of those are Jet players, but in order to argue that Tebow commands more respect and leadership, I'd have to believe the team has already bought into him. I'm having a hard time believing a guy seen around the league as the most overrated will command that much respect.

Who knows? Maybe they're all secretly dying to play for Tebow and are holding back until he starts.

20. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Demonstratively false.

Games won when the opposing team scored over 10 points.

October 23 11:00 a.m. MDT at Miami Dolphins W 18–15
    November 6 2:05 p.m. MST at Oakland Raiders W 38–24
    November 17 6:20 p.m. MST New York Jets W 17–13
    November 27 2:15 p.m. MST at San Diego Chargers W 16–13
    December 4 11:00 a.m. MST at Minnesota Vikings W 35–32
    January 8 2:30 p.m. MST Pittsburgh Steelers W 29–23

[​IMG]

#60 Backup QB, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012