Jets Cut J. Hill, Add Aussie to Active Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by b.reyes16, Oct 27, 2012.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

"Hey folks. Today's news is that the New York Jets have cut WR Jason Hill, and activated TE Hayden Smith. Hill was the journeyman wide receiver that stepped due to all the injuries. With the healthy return of Clyde Gates, Hill became expendable. In addition, with news that TE Jeff Cumberland has dislocated his hand, the Jets needed a new tight end, at least for the next few weeks until he recovers. Enter Hayden Smith.

Smith is the Australian rugby player that the Jets signed in the offseason. He is heavily considered a project, as he has never played football at any serious level before. As the Jets had an opportunity to sign a free agent, but chose to go with Smith instead indicates at least a basic level of trust. Who knows if he will be active or even see any meaningful snaps, but I'm very excited to see Smith. He has measurables very similar to Rob Gronkowski, the best tight end in the league. Check out this article I wrote about him over the summer. Smith is a freak athlete, and count me as excited to see him play. At 6'6", he's going to be a nightmare for defenses in the red zone."

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/10/27/3564016/jets-cut-wr-jason-hill-activate-te-hayden-smith

Da fuck?

2. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Good, Jason Hill is a bum

3. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing what Smith can do. He can't be worse then any scrub the Jets would sign off the street.

4. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I think it makes sense. Gates is back this week so he'll fill that hole. They needed a second tight end in there with Cumberland out. Who else would you cut?

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Never heard of a dislocated hand before.

6. b.reyes16

I'm not surprised Jason Hill got cut, more surprised about Hayden Smith being signed to the active roster. I don't know how ready he is for the fast pace of NFL football. I don't know how many two TE sets we will see tomorrow, but I'm guessing that it will not be very many.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Smith will help, he's been learning the system and actually been with us. Big target, physical guy. Not expecting Gronk like numbers but a catch or 2 and a couple nice open field blocks

8. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'm excited to see him out there. All I've heard is how much of an athlete he is and earlier I read an article of Dustin Keller saying how good his hands and how he'll catch anything thrown his way. Hopefully its all true, I was really excited when we signed him and now can't wait to see if he's worth it.

9. Rhodes Scholar

Well we still have Reuland, so I would imagine he would be in for the 2-TE sets with Keller. Our jumbo TE is still set with Jason Smith and Schlauderaff.

I would imagine the aussie is insurance if someone gets injured during the game. But who knows, maybe he has vastly improved and will get a little playing time.
    I certainly would like to see what he's got, but I know he's more of a long term project.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

AP-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, citing Jason Hill's lack of hopscotch skills, released the player today.

11. reverseapachemaster

That will be interesting.

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

you think hes gonna play? i hope he just goes deep down the seam for the hell of it just once. hes supposed to be really fast.

13. b.reyes16

I was thinking Reuland was injured too, good call.

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Do they ever pick up a player they end up keeping? All they do is use these guys for a couple of weeks.

15. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Bizzaro Gronkowski

16. Pat$Leahy

Pat$Leahy Banned

Damn season over

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Well, considering how much of a project he is I'm guessing the only ones that know how ready he is are the Jets coaches... and since they promoted him I'm guessing it means he could be useful.

18. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

His fate was sealed when dropped the Tebow pass on MNF.

19. NewYorkEveryThing

He is 6'6 with 4.5 speed.. He would be a monster DE if he played collage.. It's to to late for him to learn the proper technique...

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Looking forward to seeing Aussie Gronk in action. Hopefully they get him the ball and we can watch him run some dbs over.