Mario Williams = Albert Haynesworth

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Diddy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

You guys are hilarious. Will do anything (including making asinine arguments) just to attempt to make a divisional player sound worse than he is.

How many of you would take Mario Williams on the Jets in a heartbeat? That's what I thought. But have fun with Aaron Maybin, Calvin Pace, and whatever other geriatric pass rushers you have lol.

2. tubby

tubby Active Member

Wouldn't touch Mario with his 100 million dollar price tag. Enjoy eating that 50m guaranteed.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We would be hilarious if anyone had said Maybin and Pace are more talented than Williams.

Williams is being paid a hell of a lot more than these guys though and if he doesn't perform it sets your franchise back. Maybin? Pace? both are likely gone next year so who the fuck cares. Also they have similar numbers to Mario which is the thing that's really hilarious.

I know you live in a Fantasy world and are probably encouraged by your boy Williams, but the rest of the sane Bills fans are getting pretty upset for buying into the organization's bullshit this offseason.

Hows that D-line working out anyway? How about Wannstedt? Oh you guys are 31st in almost every defensive category?? Giving up 35ppg. The Jets offense is the fucking running joke of the NFL and still put up 48 on Buffalo HAHAHAHA

Next time don't talk shit all offseason about Williams and then you won't see threads rubbing your face in it when he fails.

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

I would not go close to Mario with his current contract, he's robbing ya from at least 50 mil and you get to watch him every week doing it. Like the other guy said don't talk shit all offseason cus look what could happen. I wish ya the best tho ya deserve it. & I'm sure if Maybin was in as many snaps as Mario his stats would look possibly better.

5. Bills over Jets

The Bills had to spend the money to get to the salary cap floor anyways. The contract doesnt hurt them. They were something like $30 million or more under the cap, and I believe are still $10 million under. His contract doesn't preclude us from signing anyone we want.

The guy has played in 5 games. Forgive me if I'm not calling him a bust for the next 6 seasons. What a joke.

6. BrowningNagle

The contract hurts because A) Bills could have spent that money that they have to spend on someone better... and B) Ralph opened his tight wallet for Williams, he isn't going to open it again for anyone since he won't have too now. (and especially if Williams turns out to bust)

You are right you are stuck with him for six years so you shouldn't give up on him yet, but you cannot be encouraged at all. From an outsiders' perspective I'd advise keeping your mouth shut in the future the next time your team makes a big signing.. (at this point that won't be until after Ralph passes)

A disclaimer before you blow up on this not being factual, because it isn't, its just my opinion, but I don't think Williams cares at all about winning. He's played for an average college team, a below average NFL for the majority of his career, and when he finally gets the chance to hit the market and pick his team he settles for another below average football team for $$. There's nothing wrong with picking money but I think its more than that. Buffalo is a smaller and a forgiving market for players. I think that's what he was looking for more than anything. His comments (excuses) after their losses this season have signaled that to me. They aren't the comments that a guy who is completely dedicated to winning makes.

There's nothing wrong with having guys who are more selfish, have a poor attitude and care less about winning on your team. Hell, I bet every franchise has at least a few. But when you are the highest paid, and the highest profile player on your team (not to mention the first big FA signing of the team in over a decade!!) you are looked at as a leader, or expected to become one whether you want to or not. His ho-hum, excuse filled attitude is rubbing off on that defense, I think.

That's why it was a horrible signing in my opinion. Maybe he gets his head on straight and starts playing better and maybe he becomes that leader on the Buffalo D. Right now, I don't see it. And the fact that he has been WAY too quick to make excuses, even in instances when he doesnt even have too yet, would make me very very discouraged if I was a Bills fan. He's already prepared for losing.

The salary floor hasn't kicked in yet, and in IMO Buffalo would've been better served to spend their money on a guy who was either undervalued on a winning team or a guy who already won big but wants a challenge and loves the fact they he could've brought winning to a place that hasn't seen it in forever. - Much better options than just signing a guy because you have too and because he would for the $$.

7. Bills over Jets

With all due respect, I dont think you could be more wrong. Most players have to make the decision when entering their first free agency period as to what they want to prioritize: the highest valued contract or choosing a team they think will have the best chance to win, is on the upswing, etc.

What you're forgetting is that Mario didnt have that same dilemma that first time free agents almost always have. Mario already got paid. He was the first overall pick of the draft. But not only was he the first overall pick, that was back when there weren't slots of money ranges. Mario got paid more than $50 million dollars. He wasn't in search of his first big contract, he already had his.

Mario was offered $100 million from the Bills the moment he hit free agency, yet he spent about 5 days in Buffalo meeting with coaches, players, and getting feedback from former players around the league about the organization before he decided to not make other visits and sign the contract. The money was there, but that's not what was important to him. He wanted to make sure Buffalo was going to be a solid team, and they ultimately convinced him we were on the upswing and he could be a part of that.

Mario was offered contracts by other teams WHILE he was still visiting Buffalo. He chose not to take them or even visit. Whether it was $100 million from the Bills or $85 million from someone else, the difference didnt matter to him. He only decided to come here once he felt it was the right place not only to win, but to move his family to and have his kids attend school there.

I think you have the wrong facts about the situation, which I dont blame you for, because anyone other than Bills fans probably werent glued to the TV and internet 24 hours a day for 5 straight days refreshing the news on the latest Williams scuttle.

If he really wanted to "just take the most money" he would have (1) either accepted and signed the contract from the beginning or (2) made other visits and tested the market, or at least try to scare the Bills into offering more. There were multiple ways he could have manipulated the market and he did not choose any of those options.

8. BrowningNagle

No matter what he wouldn't have gotten 100 Mill. from anyone else in the league. Make no mistake, he took the highest offer he was going to get. Good for him and his agent for going to the highest bidder. If he made other visits he would've found nobody in the same ballpark and with the Bills F.O. putting on the full court press to get him, maybe it would've erked them into changing their mind or something. They were trying desperately to get him to not visit other places.

I think the fact that he took his time in Buffalo is in fact an indication that they WERE testing his value. I bet his agent called around and said "Buffalo's offering 100mill, would you offer something close?" and when they heard NO then ultimately he decided to sign. Also he probably took his time in Buffalo, because its Buffalo. Nobody WANTS to particularly live in Buffalo, especially if you've never been there. He probably wanted to see houses, what there was to do, see if there was any good looking women at the clubs(not many) and value that compared to the $$ and if the team was on a swing or not.

I don't doubt that the Bills tried to sell him that they were on an upswing, but it obviously wasnt the reason that he signed. If he was looking for that he would have signed back up with Houston. What team in the NFL was on a higher swing up than them???

Buffalo finished last season losing 8 out of their last 9 games! Either they were incredible spin artists or he didn't really care about winning that much. The fact that he ultimately signed up for the most lucrative contract for a defensive player EVER, kind of signals his higher priority. That, and his seemingly aloof attitude when his defense allows 48,52,and 45 points in 3 of the first 5 games.

9. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

Dude you guys paid $100M to a guy that plays on the D-line...

I'd hesitate paying Revis that type of money let along a 4-3 DE. You guys got robbed and now you have to do what some guys do in prison and 'Take It".

Mario is a good to borderline very good DE. You guys shouldve wasted that money on a WR corp and a TE.

10. Bills over Jets

I'm guessing you didnt watch the game yesterday LOL.

11. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Your 100 million dollar man is great against the worst oline in football. Texans fans know that he showed up for about 3 games a season. You have 2 games left.

12. finomenal

finomenal Banned

I wanted him in Miami...BOY was I wrong.

13. finomenal

finomenal Banned

The Bills suck again, the Jets and Patriots are coming back down to earth, and the Dolphins are on the rise. All is right in the football world. :)

14. finomenal

finomenal Banned

Any team would be foolish to take Mario wit that fat contract and meager production on their team.

15. Biffins

Biffins Member

Not everybody is like Jared Allen or Julius Peppers who continue to perform at a new team. Most mega trades/FA siginings for defensive players go bust.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

id rather suffer with the mediocre talent we have for one more year than have that fucking albatross of a contract for someone whos giving about the same production.

maybe he turns it around next year but your hearing extreme criticism because of how much hes being paid.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this i agree with, but the fact of the matter is you pay a guy that kind of money he has to put up numbers.

the previous part of your post is damage control. if he continues at this level of play no matter what way you slice it, thats money that could be going to other players and addressing other needs. salary floor or not.

18. Bills over Jets

Really? Were you not around for Peppers' first year in Chicago on that huge contract? LOL

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

DL gets paid. I don't know where this is coming from.

20. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Don't worry, once the Dolphins finish 6-10 the fish fans will want Jeff Ireland's head again, only then you can say is right in the world.