Chandler Jones

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by wewantsapp, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This post is the greatest lack of self-awareness I have ever seen on the internet. It takes an almost unfathomable level of stupidity to say this:

And then just hours later critique another poster's response for lack of depth and intelligence.

2. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Coples is a freak. Not sure how anyone can close the book on him. He has tremendous upside and is a solid addition to this young d-line.

check out this sports science segment on him. (posting youtube videos doesn't seem to work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JO299HD4w

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We did need a pass rusher, but we already had OLBs, even though they weren't exactly stellar players and reaching the end of their careers. We also thought Maybin would have more of an impact. Coples was the best player available on our radar, and we needed youth up front, simple as that. OLB will be next years #1 pick, I'm pretty confident in that. Coples was originally projected in the top 10.

#43 Barcs, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

To me it sounds as if you are using the fact that the Jets drafted Coples to justify picking him over Jones. I'm not knocking Coples at all, I think he is a hell of a player. I'm more pointing out that a pass rusher is far more important to the success of a D, and harder to find than a line anchor.

You say you already had OLBs. Sure, but hardly productive ones. Pace has underachieved his entire career. Thomas is what he is. Maybin did well in spot duty last year but the coaching staff should have known he was not a complete OLB.

On the other hand you already had a very good recently drafted 3-4 end in Wilkerson, a budding NT in Ellis, a good NT in Pouha, and an above average run stuffing end in Devito.

All I'm saying is as of this moment right now in 20/20 hindsight Rex would probably go back and draft Chandler Jones. I could be wrong.

And again that is NOT knocking Coples at all because he is good now and could end up being a stud. My point is more to the importance of their respective positions.

5. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

Bills over Jets still butt hurt about the raping we gave to him week 1 so he has to come here and find any way possible to put the Jets down. It's ok buddy, let that pure anger out. Just remember to not get so emotionally invested in the next Jets-Bills game when your team will undoubtedly lose again.

[​IMG]

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your comment is meaningless. There is nothing to disprove, because it really said nothing.

You made a pathetic joke about a young defensive player who is on the uptick while your terrible football team spent one hundred million dollars on a guy to rush the passer, a player that has done relatively nothing and will likely do nothing for your team, after you talked him up all offseason.

You have no legs to stand on and your opinion is as meaningless as your existence on this forum.

Go eat some wings. They are the only good thing about your entire city.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

What do you mean by "talking him up all offseason"??? I most certainly did not. The only times I "talked him up" was about how he was going to eat Wayne Hunter's ass. That was it. I said on here I predict Mario would have anywhere from 6-8 sacks. He currently has 3.5. Project that out and he gets 7 or 8. Not really sure what you're talking about, but nice try.

8. The difference between Coples & Jones is really a matter of taste.

Jones is an up the field, high motor, bend at the hips around the arc type. He can only really play 2 positions...4-3 DE & 3-4 OLB. He's at his best when he's playing downhill.

Coples can anchor in the 2 gap,penetrate/disengage as a 1 gap, & can occassionally set the edge/bring a rush as an outside backer. He can essentially beat you with Strength,quickness, & length.

Translation: Jones is a higher energy, more exciting player. But Coples is more diverse in terms of scheme & skills.

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

what did Jones do against us again? nothing? oh thats right.

I'll take Coples over him. Coples has been looking better and better the more playing time he gets.

furthermore, Jones isnt too great in run defense, but yeah I will give it to him he can definitely get to the QB.

i think Coples will be the more well rounded player in the end. and I also see a ton of potential for Coples to develop as a pass rusher.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

No doubt. I guess my argument is that as of right now, you guys' D would be better with Jones than it is with Coples. No question that things could change in the future though.

11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

the best part of this whole thread was the

NEAR SACK

when did the NFL start counting those?

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Not kept as a stat but you better believe coaches care about pressures. More than his sack total, that is what makes Demarcus Ware the best pass rusher, he gets close to the QB regularly

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jones has been playing very well but I don't know how you can say this. What position does Jones even play for the Jets? Coples fits because he's strong against the run and can generate a pass rush.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

people have been running at chandler jones all year. which is why i said Ill give it to him he can get to the QB.

but at the same time Coples is already a legit run defender who can push the pocket with plenty of potential to develop as a pass rusher.

so the same could be said about Jones developing as a run stopper but I stand by my original statement i think Coples has the better chance of becoming a more well rounded player.

theyre two completely different player types though so it is kind of comparing apples to oranges.

either way i dont think either team will regret picking their respective player

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You don't think he could stand up as a 3-4 OLB or come in as a 4-3 end when you guys go with 4 linemen? He fits the prototype perfectly.

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Jones has been very good against the run. DEs in the Patriots' scheme are responsible for setting the edge. Before last weekend they were ranked something like 6th in overall run defense.

I don't know a lot about Coples but Jones has been a stud in all facets of the game so far.

He would probably not fit well in a 3-4 scheme because of coverage duties though. So I'm sure the Jets got the right guy for their defense, and the Pats got the right guy for theirs.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I mean i suppose he could play olb, but that generally takes some time for players to learn a new position. He certainly wouldn't be getting nearly as, many snaps as he is at his natural position in NE

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but I'm not so sure about that part. Hindsight of course is always 20/20 but Coples was ranked the better player overall. That's one of the reasons we took him. If he was off the board as originally predicted, we might have gone with Jones. It's hard to say, though. It's hard to bypass a top 10 ranked player like Coples at 16 and grab someone ranked in the high twenties / early 30s instead. It's too risky, although the Seahawks pulled it off and looked genius for it. I know they were considering Bruce Irvin before the Seahawks grabbed him but it's a high risk situation. Picking Coples, sets up our D line to be young and (hopefully)dominant for years to come. We'll eventually have Coples - Ellis - Wilkerson as our primary front 3. An OLB might have more of a statistical contribution right off the bat, but a DE is still critical to pressuring the QB and stopping the runs up the gut. It just doesn't show in the stats. Coples helped create a few sacks thus far that he wasn't credited with because he wasn't the one actually tackling the QB. We'll see how it really pans out in a few years.

#58 Barcs, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

And it took Coples some time to get on the field consistently for you guys. I remember the first few weeks people overreacting to him not being on the field much.

I think he would be getting plenty of snaps with you guys over Pace and Thomas who are coverage liabilities themselves, and he would also be in on passing downs as an end rusher

20. Jets main issue at OLB is setting the edge & that was an issue last year as well.Any OLB they were gonna take early HAD to be an upgrade in that department. Jones does a good job setting the edge as a 4-3 DE but I'd question his ability to set the edge out in space. When you're 1 on 1 w/ a tackle on the line it is all about leverage but there's alot more to it in a Rex Ryan 3-4 look in space. You get guys coming w/ a head of steam & you have to be able to recognize, square up, anchor & sink your hips. Essentially engage the lead blocker..force everything back inside before disengaging & attacking the ball carrier. I'd question Jones ability to do that. He could likely run around a lead blocker every now & then..but if you ran at him repeatedly he doesn't have the make-up to succeed in that role. Thus Jones couldn't really be an every down player in Rex's scheme.