Ways to make the "Tebow Package" more effective.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Diddy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

BINGO!!

People keep asking why he isn't being utilized more when he fits certain scenarios they are trying to do.

The assumption here with these people is that Tebow is great and just needs to be used more... it will work, they just know it will. They excuse that by saying, "well, he's a terrible practice player, but he'll always come through when it matters."

Maybe....

But they overlook another possibility. Maybe they've seen enough of Tebow to not have faith that he'll execute. Is it possible his followers might just have an over inflated view on just how good he is? It just seems odd to me that few teams seem to be interrested in him, and those that did have him don't seem to have as high of an opinion as some people NOT PAID by an NFL team to evaluate talent do.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Thing is though, as far as "WC" type plays, we have seen Tebow's uncanny ability to execute them for the last 6 years or so, against all ranges of talent.

This isn't a case like Hayden Smith being signed, having never played football before.

3. Concerned_Citizen

Not really. Not at the NFL level anyway. Had some flashes here and there, but nowhere near enough to rely on it. Certainly not enough to call it "uncanny."

And I couldn't care less what he did prior to 2 seasons ago as a gator. he had a really stacked team around him, and we all know college success doesn't neccessarily translate. How many busted Heisman winners have come into the NFL and never panned out?

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Remember, we are talking specifically about Tebow running WC plays here. Yes, last year alone gave enough evidence to demonstrate that he can run those type plays successfully.

5. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Maybe not too many teams are interested in him, but you sure are. You are popping out posts on a Tebowmania forum at a faster pace than almost any Tebow fan. He seems to have a huge effect on your life, he obviously permeates your conciousness a majority of your waking and seemingly non-waking hours of your life.

6. Concerned_Citizen

then why isn't he starting somewhere?

You'd think a guy who has demonstrated he can run a lot of WC plays (which a lot of teams do) that run/pass threat would have had teams salivating over getting Tebow on their team.

Yet they are not. If he has already demonstrated he can, then why not?

7. Concerned_Citizen

What does that have to do with the teams not seemingly being as high on him as you think people should be?

BTW, you seem awfully interrested in me.

8. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Because I haven't much ability or desire to get inside the heads of NFL GM's, but I enjoy getting inside yours.

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

THere's always tons of factors that weigh in to whether a quarterback currently starts, timing and opportunity being one of them.

It is circular reasoning to say "All quarterbacks who are not currently starting are not starting caliber, otherwise they would be currently starting."

Take TJ Yates for example -- perhaps he can start in this league. He looks like he can. And I don't fault any fans who harbor the opinion that he's going to one day be a good quarterback in this league based on what we saw of him last year. (You could say the same with Ryan Mallett or other examples). It would not be good reasoning to say "They are not starting caliber because they are not starting."

You need some things to line up right to get a starting job. Tebow was hit by a fairly rare occurrence, in terms of timing. I think we can conclude he's not an obvious franchise quarterback in the minds of the league -- or yes, there would have been more done with him in terms of value. But the same is true of guys like Jason Campbell, and they might able to do some more damage in this league too.

10. reverseapachemaster

Even if that was accepted as entirely true, unless any of the yards gained or points from those plays carry forward for this year, it has no bearing whatsoever on what the CS sees this year from him.

11. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

I concur. By following Concerned Citizen's "logic", quite a few Backup QBs were not NFL caliber ... like Aaron Rodgers, for example, sitting behind Brett Favre. Do you see where your "reasoning" fails here, CC?

12. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Their argument is flawed to begin with. Someone's opinion of another person does not necessarily reflect reality. It may, but it may not.

13. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Don't you mean he is SPURTING OUT posts over and over until he becomes raw?

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's odd how you seem to think that getting into the heads of others is so easy when yours was like an 8 piece Lego set with detailed instructions. You might try playing coy. It's closer to your skill set.

15. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Keep siding with the crowd that hates the jets and wishes nothing but losses on them...its real good form Abyz

#35 CowboysFan, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The "Tebow package" should become the Jets version of the hurry up, no huddle.

During the week, install about 4 plays, all from the same or similar formation. Sanchez is not in.

The plays can be called in advance in one huddle (1, 2, 3, then 4), but there is a simple audible system to switch to any one of them, based on a read at the line. Tebow is excellent at keying off formations and deciding when to run, and where to run. It's one of the things he does best is feel when and where he can get it.

Then just blitzkrieg. Run at least 4 snaps in a no huddle (or get off the field if you don't get a first down). But the four plays would have running and pass options -- no need for a huddle and no ability to substitute.

One of the ideas is to capitilize on this one fact -- teams are substituting heavily into a "fat boy" personnel package when Tebow subs in. You've got to run it 3 or 4 times to punish them for having an undermanned personnel grouping in to defend against the pass. Run one play to establish run, then some passing (with aubibles available if the run is still there).

I don't know why Sparano is making this so hard -- it seems like a simplistic idea to me.

17. Concerned_Citizen

That's not what my logic says at all, though I'm not surprised you spun it that way.

You would have a point if Tebow actually turns out to be an Aaron Rodgers, a Brett Favre, a Steve Young, or something special on his own accord... (Which I think it is getting more and more obvious he isn't going to be one of the all time greats who just happens to be playing backup right now.)

Right now, I'm not even sure he is a Jarious Jackson, a Kyle Boller, or some other name who we never heard of that got a shot but faded throughout history.

18. JetsDfc

JetsDfc New Member

One of the main reasons I think a lot of teams didn't take a shot with Tebow is that he is a gamble.

A Huge one.

If your a head coach or a gm and u lobby to bring him in and start and it doesn't work out your going to lose your job almost guaranteed.

More so then any other player, because of everything that comes with him. Kolb is a wash in Arizona, but that guy isn't in trouble.

Has Tebow shown signs that he could be good yes, has he shown signs that he could be bad, definitively.

Im a tebot to an extent and believe in him, but I would be hesitant to risk my career and livelyhood on him.

19. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Maybe the "Tebow Package" would work better if Tebow trademarked the term...

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Kyle Boller started 42 games over a 5 year stint with the Ravens. That's part of the weird thing with Tebow -- his detractors (like you) put him on a timeline that's shorter than anybody else's. And arguably he needs a longer one because he is adapting his game.