Brass Tacks on Tebow....

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by mezzavo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Hehehe :)

Yeah, I laugh when I read people saying that Tebow couldn't beat out Sanchez, so his best bet is to go to the CFL, or that the coaches see Tebow every day, so if they won't open things up for him, play him more, yada, yada, yada, then it means that he's terrible.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Rex crashes and burns with the Jets he probably will not get another head coaching opportunity elsewhere. He's 50 years old on Dec 13th. It would take a few years as a DC to re-establish himself and in all probability that's where he'd wind up.

The personal stuff would work against him also in a league that is adverse to negative exposure. That's not fair but it's reality. Woody and the Jets have been very good to Rex for the last 4 years, repeatedly letting him be himself without penalizing him for that. It would be hard to find that again.

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

All of this also assumes that Tebow is indeed a hell of a player and really has all this sky high potential to be something great in this league if only some A-hole coach would just take a chance on him.

There's another possibility few want to consider.

Maybe underneath all that fire in his belly and desire to play, all that charisma and motivational speeches... there is still a player who isn't very good. Has a hard time grasping the complexities of driving an NFL offense... and who knows, maybe Rex Ryan and the Denver coaches saw enough of him in the other areas to have doubts about giving him a lot more snaps and more playing time?

There's gotta be a reason he played for Denver, andthey chose to move on, then get aquired by the Jets, have them speak high hopes for the guy, then not use him as much as people wanted to see him on the field. There's gotta be a reason.

Either there is some conspiracy to keep Tebow down... or maybe he just isn't as good at all those other things people swear up and down that he'd be great at doing out there.

If anything, I think the Jets are bending over backwards trying to find uses for him.

4. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Come on, you're not even working hard at trolling. They brought in Peyton Manning. Manning could have picked from about 25 teams and those teams would have been willing to ship out their QB.

Guys like you shouted down anyone who thought for a minute that Denver shouldn't jump at the opportunity, and now you act like it was the natural end of his time in Denver.

Look, it's a tough league and there's no assurance of making it. But the simple, "huh, must be some reason" of the Tebow story is:

Drafted. Coach that drafted him fired midseason for scandal, never got to do an offseason in the system he had planned. Lockout. No offseason. Polished (if uninspiring) veteran on the roster in Orton, so no easy path to handing him the job like a lot of young QB's get. Get's thrown in midseason -- still figures out a way to win, while obviously still a work in progress. Peyton Manning becomes a free agent (unprecedented for such a good QB to be on the open market). Loses his ride. Get's traded in a rapid action fire sale -- who'll give me something right now, we're trading him today.

It's not a set of circumstances where one can reasonable say "All signs point to Tebow being unable to play." He's big, athletic, has a great arm, and great instincts. He can throw an amazingly accurate long ball, and looks for it.

He just needs a stable chance to run an offense he's been able to practice with first team reps in the offseason. Maybe he'll never get that chance -- I'm convinced not everybody does. But he deserves just as much benefit of the doubt as any huge, athletic quarterback with a winning record as a starter does, who's only 25.

5. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Wow, you said this better than I ever could. :up:

6. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Well put Bannon. Don't forget that Tebow's charisma draws people to him like a magnet. The proof of that is two Denver fans who are so obsessed with him they joined the Jets forum simply to troll for hours in the Tebowmania section.

7. reverseapachemaster

Yeah but Denver could have kept Tebow as a backup. He's still on his rookie contract so it's not like he would be expensive to keep. He wasn't wanted on the roster at all.

8. Concerned_Citizen

Did you ever get the sense from the Broncos front office last year, from Fox, and Elway, that they were really high on what Tebow (arguably) did last season?

Because the vibe I was getting was that their praises were luke warm at best.

They coudln't trade him away fast enough, even if it was for only a 4th rounder. SURELY they could have found a better use for him than THAT couldn't they? He cost next to nothing, and he knew the guys on the team. Didn't he have all those intangilbes that other just couldn't help but feel good about themselves with?

Fact is, they didn't want him. They didn't llike his game, and they liked his cult like following media circus even less.

If they TRULY saw Tebow as the savior of the season last year... then what the hell did they need to spend 18 million on a banged up and much older Manning for?

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Nope. I think they felt he was not their guy, and I think McCoy is not particularly genius at play design or play calling. I think they felt determined to go too conventional and felt like it wouldn't work with Tebow -- and I think they're right (at that stage in his career).

I chalk that up to Tebow being larger than life, with a rabid fan base, and they felt they needed a clean break with a new quarterback.

I felt it was a good judgment to bring Manning in. I can't fault them for that.

10. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

All of your questions were answered by Bannon already. But to reiterate his point, Manning became a free agent. That is what pushed Tebow out. It would have pushed Sanchez out of the Jets organization too (or on the bench) if Manning chose NY. Tebow, due to his popularity became an albatross.

This is comical... now all of a sudden he's a "banged up and much older Manning." Seems to me several teams wanted him badly and the Denver fans and players were dancing in the streets after his acquisition.

11. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Agreed. But you fed the troll!

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Well...is it time? the bye week (even though Rex game the team 7 days off) should have been a good time to impliment a new offense; right? What is very obvious to me is that the Sanchez thing is not working out. Te Jets have ZERO talent around him to run a conventional offense. The Jets do however have some nice peices to run a hybrid read option style.

Hilliard would be a very nice option back who has size can run, block, and catch

Hill, coming from an option offense would be a nice fit as he can block and be the deep threat

Keller and Rouland are decent TE's for the option as on is a reciving threat and the oother is a block

We have Jason SMith to swing to the 6th lineman if need be (He is quick and has good feet).

13. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

They don't have a brain to do it. Sorry bro, don't think about it too much.

14. Concerned_Citizen

Well, it certainly doesn't suggest to me that he's a great player. Just sayin.'

15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think mid-season replacement is never easy, never really a good time. Sanchez got all the reps in OTA's, training camp, and practice to date. It will be rough going if they switch now.

I just meant they decided that bring in a quality backup in case Sanchez craters, and the wildcat was always something to tell Sanchez (and the world), "we're not planning for the case where you crater." With Tebow, they could spin it as "he brings something else to the table, like Brad Smith."

But it feels more like he was intended as more of a backup QB.

16. Potzer

Potzer New Member

I feel like Tebow could be more productive.

Don't think this is going to happen though. Interesting skill position breakdown.

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I mean, how much worse could the offense be? The reason Tebow has not been inserted for a series or two (I would want to see him for a min of a half) has nothing to do with X's and O's. This is political, just like inner office politics at your employer. If a salesman is not getting the job done, he needs to be either retrained or let go. The NFL is a results NOW employer. Sanchez, while I think will be a good QB in on another team; is not the answer this year for the Jets. His compleation% is shit, he can't seem to get any sort of tempo going (this could be his new O's fault), and when he does hit his recievers they drop the ball.

We need a change...and I would prefer to go in a different direction than a "traditional" QB in McElory as others on this board are clamoring for!

18. Remarker

Remarker Banned

^^This....

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I personally think Tebow will be announced starter this time next week. The pressure is going to come all through the bye week.

I do hope we have a new offense planned for him by then. If we do, there's no reason we can't surprise the remainder of our schedule.

20. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Ain't gonna happen! Rex is far too stubborn.