Pay Revis now....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Im kinda divided on this. I want us to keep Revis, but I'd love to get a walker-esque trade for him. Only reason why I don't mind seeing him go is because we have too many needs. Get a starter for him, a first rounder, and hopefully another 2nd rounder the following year or something like that. Gotta be a huge return for him though.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if we are trading any corner it's Cromartie. I want Revis to be a Jet for life.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Holes we can fill this off-season, we got 7 picks in the draft plus after cuts and restructures should have significant cap space

Holes

RB
    WR
    TE
    OG
    OLB
    OLB

I think we over analyze where our problems are. Thats 6 holes I'm thinking of right now and we can fill the OLB and OG holes with Elite prospects in the top 2 rounds, then get a big TE for Mark, find a value RB and WR in the 4th and 5th, I got faith in Powell/McKnight at RB and then adding a young raw WR behind Holmes/Hill/Kerley to develop for a year. And thats only the draft. In Free Agency we can add some depth guys or if available a rush LB or via trade a RB like Ben Tate or Mark Ingram

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets defense was dominant in '09 when Kris Jenkins was healthy. It has been good to very good since then - not dominant. I don't think the defense has taken a big step back since he's been injured.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We've taken a step back definitely, Cromartie has played better than ever but we're still better with Revis, I dont think I can really stress how important he is

6. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

To pay an injured player is absurd. We do not know what he will be like coming back from injury. Pre-Injury, yes I would pay him big time.

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

Keep Revis and with all the old guys hopefully gone we'll have room to maybe sign someone in FA. Then we work on the draft pass rush OLB on the first and second RB 3rd best available in the rest.

8. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Or we could have just done what the 49ers did, continuously suck for numerous years, consistently draft in the top 10, and stack our team. The Jets are never great, but they're also never the worst lol. Grrr

9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I think we should pay him now also. The jets won't. Tannenbaum never pays anyone coming off an injury, and the relationship on the business side for revis/jets has been brutal. This negotiation will be a disaster. There not going to compromise on a penny(revis) case en point as to why he should have held out(revis team) is the injury. This will probably get real ugly.. With todays surgeries and the fact he's so young, probably won't slow him down much. Barring a miracle he most likely won't be a jet next year

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't see any way this ends well for the Jets. Revis is too expensive under normal circumstances given the position he plays and the Jets have too many needs at this point to make that commitment to a player they're not 100% sure about.

For Revis it's always been about the money and being the highest paid player he possibly can be and that's not going to change either. There's absolutely nothing wrong with his position on this, the NFL is a brutal business and a player should squeeze every dollar he can out of it before he retires to the life-long aches and pains that follow. That doesn't mean the Jets can afford to pay players every dollar they demand. Even if the business side didn't have it's own demands the cap clearly does.

Darrelle Revis is going to wind up like so many other things Jet-oriented over the years, a sweet beginning that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth at the end. It's like our karma to have that pattern over and over again.

#110 Br4d, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Revis is a great player but he is already making $14 mil. In a league with a fixed salary cap I would trade him for cheap young players & picks before giving him any more money than he is making now.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Thats not happening

And his salary is about to drop to what 6,7,8 mil around that range

pay him and make sure he's a Jet for life. When he goes into Canton I want him to be known as a Jet

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You don't trade a (soon to be) 28 year old hall of fame corner.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You can say we've taken a step back but where's the evidence? I mean what was the measurable step back since Revis left? We had the typical emotional let down blowout loss vs. the Niners then we went out and held the top 2 scoring offenses in the league to a TD below their average. The Pats also had a special teams TD.

The Bills scored more than their season average against us w/Revis. The Steelers scored more than their season average against us w/Revis. Miami scored exactly their season average w/Revis.

Show me how the defense has taken a step back?

15. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Like Revis, but i'd trade him in a heartbeat..for value of course. For me, a HOF DB isn't > HOF DE, OLB, MLB or SS. Cro & Wilson or whoever can do exceptional if the Jets can A) contain the run B) Rush the Passer. Revis would not have stopped Gronk from making those catches. He would have shutdown Lloyd or Welker (non-screen). That's it. A consistent OLB/pass rusher is much more valuable than a DB blanketing one guy. Not only do they stop the run, they gets sacks or hurry the passer. Not to mention, Revis will be returning from knee injury and in a contract year. He wants A LOT of money. We can't tie that kind of money into one guy with so many needs. Yes! We have a lot of needs and that's just on defense. We have 2 OLB's to replace (Davis/Harris will be fine in middle) and possible 2 starting safety's. We might be losing FA's, but we also have to sign some (and that's a bidding process, usually not cheap). If Revis is reasonable, sign me up, if not, ship his arse. Better to get something now, than have him play next year, not sign a contract and go to the open market. then you get horns and squadouche! my non-professional 2 cents.

16. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

Correct me if im wrong but Revis only played into the 3rd Quarter of the Buffalo game and they scored most of their points in garbage time....

Revis did not play the Steelers game due to the concussion....

And he didnt finish the Miami game either because of the ACL....

All things considered I think the Jets can honestly make due without Revis, Rex has shown the ability to switch up his coverages and schemes and it has worked out well for the most part. I also feel that Wilson is much better suited as a #2 CB using the sideline to his advantage as he did in college. Im not sure if Cro can keep up his current level of play but right now hes playing lights out.

Sad to see him go because hes my Fav Jet, but sometimes the Metrics just dont make sense...

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The Bills scored because of 2 long runs that set up TD's, they scored a TD when Revis was out after the kick to the head and we went into a prevent D

Revis has played in 1.5 games this year and we're currently ranked 19 in yards allowed and 21 in points allowed

vs Pitt- Wallace 5 for 74, Brown 7 for 79. One of those guys is limited, we have a better shot at winning

vs SF we got beat on the ground

vs Houston we got beat on the ground

vs New England Gronk 6 for 78, Hernandez 5 for 54 and WW 6 for 66- having Revis allows the safeties to get up on the TE's more because Cro and Wilson who they have to help over the top because they tend to get beat here and there. We had Demario Davis on Welker on crucial downs. LB's on Gronk in the red zone. Revis makes that much of a difference

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Our Run D has played much better since Revis went down. Garbage time running TDs by the Bills have nothing to do with Revis.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

They were the worst in consecutive years back in the 1990s.

They ended up with Keyshawn Johnson (for four years) and James Farrior.

They whiffed on getting Peyton Manning.

Just because you have the No.1 pick, even two years in a row, doesn't mean you are going to do anything good with it.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Our corners didn't exactly get torn up. Cro played well, Wilson was decent aside from a few plays. The big plays were the Gronk TDs and that wasn't on the corners. I'm pretty sure Landry was covering on one play and Harris on the other. Don't get me wrong I still love Revis, but this game was lost due to mistakes on offense. 20 points allowed by the D on a team that averages 31 a game is GOOD.