We still got a good shot at playoffs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 21, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

under rex, we have a 31 -24 record. that is hardly top flight.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

obviously the higher pick the better chance you get the player you want. but getting the player you want isn't the same as getting an impact player.

the fact is the last 16 Super Bowl winners averaged 8.5 wins per season for the 5 seasons prior to their Super Bowl wins, and 8.2 wins for the 10 years prior. Super Bowl winning teams aren't built off of having terrible seasons and high draft picks, they are built on middle of the round success and mid round picks.

the point is to have a good team and make it better. you can get a great NFL player with mid round picks that improve an 8-8 team, that is how Super Bowl winners are developed.

not beating those teams this season in no way, shape of form equates to not beating them next year with the addition of a few new players. not making the playoffs does not increase our chances of improving next year.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Beat the Dolphins go to 4-4 at the Bye then look at the rest of the schedule:

@Seahawks (Not easy but winnable)
    @Rams (Again not easy, but should win)
    vs. Patriots (Looked to be a loss earlier, Jets proved they can compete)
    vs. Cardinals (should be a win)
    @Jaguars (Come on)
    @ Titans (Not easy winning on the road, but I like the Jags/Titans match-ups)
    vs. Chargers (at home in December, Jets win)
    @Bills (they will be playing for nothing by then)

I like the people talking about playing for the #1 pick. The Jets are going to have to play AWFUL for them to finish under 8-8.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who cares? 2 of 3 postseason trips, 4 playoff wins(all on the road), ONLY team in NFL to play in 2 conf title games in that span. That's top flight.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

first playoff trip was an abberation and we werent a good team, just got lucky. we arent a top flight team, just a team that 1 year caught a team but suprise and the second year had a nice 2 game run.

we sucked last year and we suck this year. hopefully next year we get a real GM and coach

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The entire AFC East, including the Pats, is very average right now. I wouldn't be shocked if any team won the division. Yes, we still have a very good shot because we have a very good shot at winning the division still.

7. nyjunc

we were good enough to reach the Championship game of our conference.

we didn't suck last year, 8-8 is mediocre but it;s not sucking and we don't suck this year. We had a brutal sched to start the season, it softens a bit and we are playing much better lately.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People don't think that's good enough.

9. jlee499

jlee499 Member

You lost my attention with "Good organizations find players no matter where they draft, bad ones want to lose to get higher picks." I am of the opinion that we are not a good organization right now, and our ability to "find players no matter where we draft" hasn't worked out for us lately.

Almost beating teams does not mean anything and winning the SB, no matter how many 9 & 10 win teams did it (which I don't see us getting to) is such a long shot, especially from what I've seen on the field so far, that I don't want to dream it.

How will missing the playoffs set us back? Whatever our record is in missing the playoffs will only show us we have work to do. We already know that.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

2-14 sucks. we were average last year and this year we appear to be average. your disappointment with only being average does not mean we are worse than average.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but winning two games in a row after being average for an entire season doesn't make you top flight.

12. nyjunc

we have had one of the best teams in the AFC for the last decade plus so we must be doing something right.

I'd rather play for Sbs than miss the playoffs like we do so often pre-Rex(and pre-00s). We all want a SB but you can't get there w/o playing in a conf title game first.

13. nyjunc

when you are one of the last 2 teams standing it makes you top flight.

14. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

Before the game last night I thought the Jets would be in the playoff hunt; despite the loss, I'm even more firm in that belief than I was before kickoff. Offense is hitting its stride, players are stepping up on D - address little things and playoffs are a definite possibility.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's still better than any coach the Jets have ever had.

16. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

A "nice two game run" beating Br*dy and Manning on the road. LMAO. Tough crowd.

As the Jets apparently need a "real coach" - would you like to offer your expert services? Send Woody your resume. Maybe you can do better than holding those two quarterbacks to under 40 combined points?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just FYI, I recognize that you're looking at the Jets from an inflated position since they're our team and all but you do get that we will be underdogs on the road on the west coast in week 10 right?

The Jets don't play well on the west coast and they don't play well against strong defensive teams. That's check-check for that game.

@the Rams is a better bet but still no gimme.

5 of the last 8 are on the road and the home games include the Pats and the Chargers. I make the Jets out as a long shot for 9 wins and even chances at 7 or 8.

18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

If I'm not mistaken since Rex took over the Jets have the 5th or 6th most wins since he took over. Not bad at all.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What do you think of the Falcons then? Do they suck with their 3 playoff appearances and 0 wins in the playoffs?

Well lets say we beat Miami. If we don't this discussion is irrelevant as we will miss the playoffs. Say we beat St Louis, lose to ARZ and SEA going 1-3 in the NFC West. Say we beat BUF, JAX, TEN (all realm of possibility). That puts our 2nd half at 4-2. That means we need to split NE/SD, both home games. It's not too far fetched if we don't sustain more injuries.

Again all the Miami game. If we lose that, we aren't going 7-1 or 6-2. 5-3, I can see.

20. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Bingo.

At 3-5, wrap it up. 3-6 is a LOCK at that point and they won't rebound from that.

If they can get out of the New England game at 5-6, they could make a run for 8-8 and hope to get in on a tiebreaker or something, but you've got to beat Miami and St. Louis and if you steal one against New England, even better. Maybe 9-7 is in the cards then.

Still, as the 6th seed, what are we really going to do? Beat Houston in Houston in Rd 2 or New England in New England or Denver in Denver Rd 1? I don't see it. Maybe NE.