Am I insane?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SoulFood, Oct 21, 2012.

1. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

To think the Jets actually may have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl? I know that it's optimistic but, with the way we have been competing, I think it's possible. If we executed better and had a little bit of luck, we could have beat the Pats and Texans (probably the top 2 teams in the AFC).

If we can play the way we should, we likely make the playoffs at around 9-7. None of the teams in the AFC scare me, and we should continue to get stronger as our team gets more game experience together. I don't see this team as being much worse than the '09 team, and that team was a half of football away when this was a stronger conference.

Am I blinded by optimism, or is it really possible?

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Blinded. If we make the playoffs this has more resonance, but we aren't even halfway through our season and predicting Super Bowl is crazily optimistic in my opinion

3. Satire?

Satire? Guest

Yep, you're crazy.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, you are insane. Seriously. There is an obvious lack of talent on this team. Factor that in with losing our best offensive and defensive talents to injuries this year.

The Giants went 9-7 and won a SB, but they got healthy at exactly the right time last year. They also had a crazy 4 man front the Jets simply do not have, The Giants sneaking in the playoffs is a different world than the Jets making it at at 9-7.

The Jets have NO CHANCE AT THE SB. Hell, the playoffs are still not very likely.

5. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Not insane. But be careful how hopeful you get because the let down gets even more painful that way.

But the Jets are a few tweaks away from winning these games. San Fran was just a disaster, but the other games haven't been that bad all things considered.

6. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I wouldn't say I'm predicting Super Bowl, I do think that we should make the playoffs. If that happens, then I think we can hang with anybody.

But I believe you if you say I'm insane.

EDIT: "Not insane. But be careful how hopeful you get because the let down gets even more painful that way."

If there's one thing that the Jets have taught me, it's to never be too hopeful. Always on guard for the letdown. Just thinking it may still be a possibility, not expecting it.

#6 SoulFood, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

The jets could have and I believe should have won today despite all this "lack of talent."

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

So many things would have to go right it's hard to imagine, but the AFC is really down this year.

Winning today's game really could have set us up to win this division. It's not over yet, but the offense looks a lot better lately.

I thought the Jets had very little margin for error because I didn't think the talent was that good. They just went against one of the best teams in the AFC on the road and almost beat them despite a ton of mental errors. That's an encouraging sign going forward.

The Jets have a lot of young players in key spots. We'll see how well they do. Kerley and Hill are both growing into their spots and have shown flashes of doing really good things. Sanchez is still growing as a QB, and he has Keller and Greene back/playing better.

Defensively, Coples, Wilkerson and Wilson are all playing major roles right now and are getting better in a trial by fire. Demario Davis also got a ton of playing time today.

There's some hope for this year. Super Bowl is too high a goal for now. Just hope the Jets make the playoffs with this group, and if they can make a run from there, that would be great. Don't see the elite unit on the Jets that will carry them, but all you need to do is be hot at the right time.

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

But they didn't. And the problems on this team (Sanchez, Sparano, offensive talent, the lack of a pass rush) aren't going to dissapear anytime soon.

Thing about the AFC is other than Houston there isn't really one good team in the league, and Houston's kinda flawed with their lack of downfield passing. So it's pretty wide open, but it's asking a lot to even make the playoffs with this team as currently constituted.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we make the playoffs then yea id agree but we have 9 games left to be played,You can make an argument that we could have won the last 3 straight

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The Jets have to go 6-3 just to conceivably make the playoffs (and that's provided they have tiebreakers considering there'll probably be multiple 9-7 teams). The schedule's semi-favorable but I'm not convinced they're consistent enough to make that kind of run.

12. NFL

NFL Active Member

There is definatly a possibility to make playoffs, depends on these next couple weeks. As for super bowl, I think if we make it to the playoffs I think we definitely have a good shot. Like you said, we shouldn't be afraid of any AFC teams at this moment. We could of easily beat the Texans if Cumberland wouldn't have tipped the ball and the Patriots if Hill wouldn't have dropped the ball or if we would of gotten the TD instead of a FG to Chaz.

13. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Then we can activate Revis for the big game :up:

14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Is this guy serious? If every team executed better and had luck on their side, they could win more games. What the shit is this? :rofl:

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Would have, could have, should have.

I was wrong about the Pats. They just aren't that good. Sadly, they are still better than the Jets. Feels like that will never change.

16. BJXX

BJXX New Member

You're not insane, you're a fan. The 2 conditions share many of the same symptoms.

We could be 2-5 (if Miami makes a FG), or 5-2 (if we didn't blow the Texans and Pats games).

17. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Super Bowl is a long shot. However, I like the optimism. You have a great point. We're not as bad as we look. I know it's easy to say that, but it is very true. We would have beaten the Texans and Pats had not even a handful of some plays happened. We are playing pretty good football for the state we are in.

We could very much make the playoffs this year if we keep playing the way we are. With some minor tweaks we will just get better through the season. Plus we have a pretty decent schedule.

If we make the playoffs, anything can happen. You take one game at a time in the playoffs, and if you win one, you can win the second, and then before you know it you are so close to the Super Bowl.

18. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

I took two psychology classes freshman year. You dont fit any major disorders unless the ghost of Vernon Gholston told you that shit in a vision you had when the moon was in line with Neptune and the spirits were in their 7th rotation.

But yeah dude, you're batshit nuts.

Jets fans need to get this super-bowl or bust bullshit out of their minds. It makes every season depressing. We gotta good young team. I'll be happy if we beat the pats in our house and make a run at the division.

But dude, no Revis, we're starting like 9 players with three years of experience or less, no Tomlinson or Thomas Jones to help Greene Cary the load, no Tone.... Don't bet your kids college fund... Give it a year or two. Alright?

19. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Do most teams lose a game by a single PI call? Or a dropped pass?

We've played the 2 toughest AFC teams and lost by 1 possession each time. That's different than a 48-28 beatdown as you know.

20. Tight

Tight Active Member

Nobody thought Giants were going to win Superbowl last year. Anything is possible.