A few bright spots...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Oct 21, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

This one fucking sucked. Flat out hurt. We had so many opportunities to pull away with a W and first place in the division...

Well, its over now, and we have to move on. There were some bright spots that we should be as happy as we can be after such a loss.

- Demario Davis has replaced Scott. He must have played at least 75% of the snaps. He was in on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. Aside from getting beat by Welker, a missed tackle and not sticking to his lane on STs, he played pretty well. He's only going to get better and Im glad the Coaching staff has realized they need to get these young guys playing time. He blitz a good amount too and was a fraction of a second away from a sack or two. Also played well vs the run.

- Coples- played pretty well again. Would've liked a little more pressure but he was getting double team a good amount when it was just him Devito and Mo. He was stout in the run game and doesnt look like a bust.

- Jeremy Kerley- Aside from having zero awareness on punt returns and when to let it bounce into the end zone, this kid is a fucking stud. He looks like an actual NFL receiver. He's the only receiver that has any sort of chemistry with Sanchez and is coming out to play week in and week out. Fuck Holmes, Kerley is a real receiver.

- Lex Hilliard- He has done more than John Conner in two weeks than Conner did in 2 years. He's a good all around player- can actually run the ball, catch, block and play STs. If we won the game, he couldve been the MVP with that forced fumble.

- Keller, Antonio Allen and Mo Wilk also had good games. Keller was his usual self and had good hands. I wouldve liked him used out of play action more though. Wilkerson is very good and we definitely have our future at DE. He's improving with his passrush and is very good against the run.

- Cromartie- Easily a top 5 CB right now. He is playing lights out... Wish he came up with that INT at the end though. All in all, I dont think we could have asked more of him with Revis out.

We are 3-4 and were a call or a catch away from 4-3 and beating the Pats... All is not lost. I just hope we dont miss the playoffs and end up drafting in the middle again. I think a WC is very possible and maybe more.

At the very least, this team has some pieces to build around for the future.

Also, as a side note- Tebow = fail. It has not worked out at all and they dont know what to do with him. Oh well for thinking the coaching staff had something special up their sleeve.

#1 laxin, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I pretty much agree with all you said.

Kerley absolutely abused their secondary today. Granted not the best in the league but in only his 2nd year he looks confident, has great hands and knows how to run his routes.

I will add Hill, people will look at the drop which happens but he created seperation, was physical and was wide open for a TD which was underthrown for an INT. He looks like a legit weapon just needs to learn to concentrate a little more.

Folk- 3 for 3 on FG's including 2 long ones. His one before the half was awesome.

Hilliard - like you said. More in 2 weeks then Connor gave us in 2 years.

Malone - I don't ever remember the Jets having a punter who consistently boomed long punts

Trufant - undersized but made some great plays to stop a Pats drive

McKnight - The guy was playing one week after suffering a high ankle sprain and was effective in the return game.

3. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with both of ya. Kerley is showing so much for being so small and being a 5th round pick. He had like what 5 15+ yard catches? He's looking good. Hill dropped that pass, but, he was definatly taking the safeties deep allowing Sanchez to connect with others. If ya see that throw to Keller on the outside you can see Hill taking the Safety deep allowing Keller to be wide open. McKnight is banged up but really came to play on special teams and had a good couple runs. Tim Tebow is a fucking joke, never liked him never will. Its a waste of a down putting him on the field for a 2 yard run or to send him out as a receiver. Were playing 10 on 11 every time he's out as a WR. You can literally put Wilfork to cover him and he'll look like Revis.

Cromartie is EASILY a top 3 corner right now. I would say the best but I don't watch every game. Who's better than him right now? Let me know so I can watch some games.

Landry is a beast too. 12 tackles, making tackles for losses on runs. Obviously he doesn't match up with Gronk to well he's like what 7 inches taller than him?

Anyways its not looking to bad, I still hope we can get a pass rusher first round and a speed RB second but well see how it goes.

4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I think failure is not the word , I think non factor is better said.

He has played special teams well and converted 3 fake punts and he has cost the opponents timeouts so its not a flat out failure. He has also converted a few first downs in tough spots etc.

That being said I agree with you, they really have no plan and no "sporano cat" or whatever it is or anything else for him to do except direct snap line buck plays over and over.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah I agree. I think Malone might be Westy's last gift to us after he retires. He could be the future at an unglamorous position, but one that can really affect field position.

I was going to add McKnight too. I have been a fan of his for a while... He has so much talent and has come a long way. I just wish the Jets used him more. He has great hands and is one of the few playmakers we have. Give the ball 10-15 times a game and I think it could go a long way- pitches, stitches, draws, screens... We need to utilize his athletic ability.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Point I was trying to make was that there attempt at making him a real factor has been a fail. Aside from Westy using him on STs, he has been a complete nonfactor.

On 3rd and 1, I would bet my life savings that Tebow could get the first on two downs. You're playing the Patriots; field goals dont cut it... I said this from the start, Rex needed to grow a pair and had to risk everything and lay it all on the line. It was a pretty conservative game plan.

This guy brings so much chaos indirectly, so actually USE him... That 3rd and 1 slant to Schillens absolutely killed me. Smh.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Kerley has been very impressive this season totally didn't see that coming,and as far as Tebow goes its a shame they didn't use him more at RB because that one play he gained like 7 yards. I just love Tebows energy level it's something Sanchez doesn't have. Every time Tebow's on the field and makes a play he looks like he is ready to run threw a brick wall i love that about him and players feed off of that, He's a better leader then Sanchez,he's a better football player then Sanchez and he has more heart then Sanchez, but Tebow's lack of mechanics is what makes Sanchez better at throwing the ball

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

The more and more I see this team evolve the more and more I love it. The defense is evolving from old and slow to young and faster. I am really excited for Marcus Dowtin, he should just be another fast player on d. Getting Po'uha back will be huge as well. Demario played very well, as did Coples and Wilkerson. If this d gets a linebacker who can rush the passer in the draft I think it will be very good.

On offense Kerley looks like a baller and despite the drop Hill looks like a very good player as well. Wait till his game catches up to his game. Austin Howard has been a find and Jason Smith has been a good 6th tight end. Shonn Greene has looked good, as has McKnight and Powell. Hopefully Grimes can show something. I'm also loving Dustin as a blocker. Would be nice to see Mark step up and take the team by the balls, but I can defiantly see talent and maybe we were wrong about Mike T all alone. Or maybe the Patriots just are terrible.

#8 SienaSaints, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't understand why people continuously ignore Tebows value on punts. The fake punt conversions have set the Jets up where teams will not try to block punts (yes, we had a blocked punt, but that was just a missed assignment.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im glad we traded a 4th round pick, pay almost 2 million and deal with the most controversial sports player in the nation for a few fake punts here or there.

He was brought in to convert 3rd and 1/2 and 4th and1/2. Rex and Sparano needed to make ballsy calls and they didn't...

11. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Have to admit that the Jets offense is coming together. I was very skeptical just a few weeks ago. Some of these guys are stepping up. If we would stop shooting ourselves in the foot, we would be rolling.

The problem is our schedule gets no easier, but we'll see.

12. Tight

Tight Active Member

Kyle Wilson too.. Cromartie is shutting his side down and now so is Wilson.. If this continues do we trade Revis ?

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

agreed. I would also nominate

Nick Folk: 3 for 3, he came up big

Joe McKnight: a lot of us didnt think he would play, and he had a solid game. a few good returns, solid runs.

Isiah Trufant: great on screen coverage and special teams. I still don't think he can play corner, but he had a good game.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I didn't like those calls either, but that doesn't change the fact Tebow has already given us three extra possessions on offense. Thats the equivalent of three ints along with several short yardage conversions. Not to mention, STs will not be sending the house on our punter, which is the primary reason Malone has been booming punts with a ton of time. His effect spreads all around. And its not like we just gave up a 4th rounder. We got a backup QB for it. He's an NFL caliber QB, regardless of how he runs the offense.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

stop. just stop.

16. Tight

Tight Active Member

looking towards the FUTURE , not really a bad idea... Merely a thought.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Those fake punts have been huge though, how many teams in the league have even attempted more then 1 fake punt let alone convert 3 in 7 games? Having him there makes Malone much more effective. ST is a huge part of the game. That being said, I'm sick of watching this offense have no clue how to use him. Get him outside into space and see what he can do.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I do like how Westy has used Tebow. I think he is the only one making use of him properly. My frustration more so stems from Sparano's inability to use him correctly. Like I said, with 3rd and 1 at the 3 yard line, I would bet everything I own that Tebow could get ONE yard on two downs... 6'3 250.

19. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

I dont see why not,not like Revis is any good :breakdance:

20. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

If you want bright spots, look no further than the 2012 draft class.

Coples- Two sacks against the colts. Would've been three if he hadn't gone for the decapitation. Should've been credited with a half sack on Brady today. BEAST.

Hill- Forget about the incident in Foxboro.

Dude has more TDs than any receiver drafted above him. The only one with more yards is Kendall Wright. In retrospect I think if he isn't already, he will be the best WR out of this draft. San Fran and Stl. should be banging their heads for taking AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick.

Davis- Looks like the Bart Scott that used to be Barty Scott.

Antonio Allen- Has made a bunch of nice plays on special teams, and surprisingly effective when he gets on the field as a DB. Considering he was a converted LB that almost went undrafted.