Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 21stAmendment, Sep 25, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah Wilk has played really well.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Unless your name is JJ Watt.

3. legler82

Wilkerson has been solid but I will admit he played better last year.

4. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I Love Wilkerson but we are terrible against the run and we haven't been able to get to the QB. Wilkerson needs to start getting some sacks maybe if he has some real OLB it would help him out...He is a young big player..we have to be able to figure out how to get production from him and coples

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I meant our Linemen, that guy on the other hand can do anything. He's a beast.

#45 HardHitta, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. legler82

We might need to come up with a different adjective for Watt than beast cause someone in this thread called Wilkerson a beast. They both can't be described the same way cause Watt is on a whole different level.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Son.

Bruce Smith is once-in-a-generation type of talent, Ok? To expect his kind of production out of an ordinary 1st round pick is a sacrilege in itself.

(But then, JJ Watts looks like a legitimate 3-4 DE that threatens the QB on any given down. Maybe you do have a point.)

8. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

I liked last night after being beaten by the screen play on a previous play, Wilkerson figured out what was going on another screen play and defended Foster well. If Schaub didn't throw the ball so high and Foster didn't have an amazing catch, then it could have been intercepted. Seriously Wilkerson has been playing well. I don't believe he is apart of the problem in the run defense. There was a few plays where I saw David Harris just run into the pulling guard and not shoot the gap which gave up big yards. Our linebackers just suck.

#48 DimsAllmighty, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Wilder beast ? Destroyer of worlds ?

10. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

this is the first time in a while i can remember that I just really have no faith in our linebackers at all. I love Harris, a lot, but he really has been playing subpar this year so far. Definitely his worst season so far.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Watching the linebacker play this year is taking me back to 2003. That's Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones out there how can the run D be so bad?

12. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I have to agree somewhat with the op. I don't expect Wilkerson to get to the passer like a 4-3 end or 3-4 olb but it wouldn't hurt if I saw him near a QB at some point. A good 3-4 end should be good for 7-8 sacks. Also we are the worst team in the league against the run so I don't want to hear people say how great he has been in that department. Sure most of the big runs are to the outside but i dont see him on weekly basis stuffing runners at the line. If i had to describe Wilkerson so far this year it would be average starter. That's not what I want out of a first rd pick who people call the best defensive pick in the Ryan era.

13. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

Couldn't have said it any better.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I guess the op expected Wilkerson to be a star and he's just not that at the moment. He's done a solid job thus far.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He's a second year player who was selected 30th. He also wants to compare him to someone who is the favorite to win DPOY right now. Wilk has played real well. He's not a star but I'm very happy with the pick as should everyone be.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Richard Seymour must not have been a very good 34 DE then, because he only managed that range twice in his career. Well that, or you have no idea WTF you are talking about.

In the 34 it depends largely on waht is being asked of the end. Wade Phillips in Houston runs a very different scheme from the one Dick LeBeau does, who runs a diffent look than Rex and Rob Ryan. Houston lines thier lineman up over the gaps and expects penetration not gap cloging or eating up multiple blockers. Pittsburgh uses the 34 linemean mainly as space eaters and expects the linebackers to be the playmakers in thier D. Rex and Rob both run hybird fronts with looks that vary from the bear 46 D, to a 34 base, to a 43 in thier nickle packages.

Mo has been our most consistant Lineman against the run and in getting pressure. He needs to do more, but the lack of talent around him makes his job harder due to often facing multiple blockers. This is why we need Coples or someone else to step up and start producing more. The more lineman we have capable of making plays the more likely it is we get one on one blocking one someone that can make a difference.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

18. BleednGreen247

You are a buffoon.

19. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

To inject a few more facts into this thread, via PFF:

- Wilkerson "has 21 stops on the season, which is the second most for all defensive linemen this year."

- In the positional ranking, Wilkerson is the 3rd highest rated 3-4 DE, behind only J.J. Watt and Calais Campbell.

- Wilkerson is essentially tied with Watt as the highest rated 3-4 DEs in the league against the run.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Plus, he's patfanken's predraft binky.