Congrats on the 4-3 record

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Elijah, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Leave the stats to the baseball geeks like Bill James.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Scene of Gillette Stadium Sunday, October 21st, 3:59pm:

[​IMG]

3. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

pats are old and soft. they are the team everyone's gonna want to play in the playoffs for a reason.

4. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

While we're on the topic of Pats fans, what's with all this sense of entitlement that we see that's so common in their fan base? What is it about their team that makes them think they, as people, are better than everyone else? It just angers me to no end when you read/or see how many of them appear to be on a high horse- thinking that being a fan of the special new england patriots is such a big honor. Almost as if they're truly think they're the only NFL team that everybody should follow- and everyone else is crazy for following other teams. I suppose this is why they're fan base gets exposed as being very weak when they go through a crippling loss. It's not like you're not an ordinary fan of one of the 32 NFL teams. ALL 32 team's fans have their own mix of over-reactors, homers, darksiders, and idiots. It's just astounding to me how the new england patriots seem to harbor the only fan base that believe they are smarter than all other nfl fan bases.

EDIT: not saying all pats fans are like this. Just saying that they're the only team that I've noticed to have fans that harbor that kind of mentality. Needless to say, I'm sure Jets fans have their own unique set of characteristics.

#44 RutgersJET, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what it must feel like to go into every game with the mindset that your team is 99% likely to win. As a Jets fan I have never, ever felt like that. It must make it so much more enjoyable to watch the games. Even when the Jets are doing decent I feel like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It works both ways though. Seeing as we don't antipate winning when we do win it feels great. When you are expecting to win a game and you don't it feels bad.

I know I shouldn't aim low but I'd honestly be happy this season with making the playoffs, preferably winning a game but as long as it's a good game I'm happy enough considering how we did last year and this year we're without our best player and our #1 WR. For a Pats fan anything short of winning the Superbowl is a dismal failure. That's kinda sad.

Plus, if you expect you're going to win a Superbowl every year and you've won a few in recent years is it really all that exciting when you win it? I mean, if I'm expecting a raise at work and I get one I'm still happy but if I was wondering if I was going to get laid off and instead they give me a huge raise I'm going to be over the moon.

You can't enjoy the sunny days without a few rainy days. Pats fans have had so many sunny days they can't handle a little rain.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

winning the superbowl is awesome every time, i dont think it gets any less awesome if you win more haha

this is all conjecture, me being a jets fan and all, but come on, the more you win the better it probably gets.

8. deerow84

Well it's obviously still enjoyable I'm just saying result vs expectation. Typically speaking if you are not expecting something and get it you would enjoy it more than someone who gets exactly what they expected.

Expectations can either be not met, met or exceeded. If my expectation for my birthday is get a Jets jersey and I get one I will be happy (met). If I don't get one I will be disappointed (not met). If instead I get season tickets and a personal meet and greet with the team I will be happy beyond description (exceeded).

That being said if you expect to win the lottery and you do you still won the lottery. So maybe I'm completely wrong.

9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

haha i get what your saying. i mean im sure there are some assholes who are just like, oh yeh the pats are gonna win, and dont watch or only start watching once they find out they are losing, so for those guys its probly not as good to win. but im sure any sensible fan understands that there are no guarantees in the nfl, and especially the superbowl. at least i hope they understand that haha. wining the superbowl is a pretty big deal in football haha.

10. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

No way to the other posts. You are completely right. You dont think getting rid of same old Jets would be different than winning a 4th superbowl in 12 years? Its obviously different on a fan to fan basis.

But as a Yankee fan I want to win and because I expect them to win I get angry. I dont get any less angry when the Jets lose however its a different kind of anger. The Yankee anger comes from expectations, the Jets anger comes from wants and desires.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we win on Sunday we might be able to put a knife right through Brady's heart and wreck his season going foward,Brady hates the Jets we need to send them on a two game losing streak

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Many on here were crying after 2-2 and 2-3 also. Just because some Pats fan is a spoiled ass doesn't mean they all are. Same way with Jets fans and fans of any team.

I just chalk up the loss to the Seahawks as a blip. Give credit to Seattle and their young QB for siezing the moment, but anyone watching the game knows the Pats and Brady shot themselves in the ass a number of times and didn't put away a game they dominated most of the way.

I'm glad the Jets looked really good winning this week. It makes the lead up to this weeks game alot more fun.

13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i think lloyd might not be playing next week. pats have their excuse built in. jets can take this game.

14. deerow84

While I would love to and I hope we do I don't think it will really wreck the season for them. They have a lot of winnable games: Bills, Dolphins twice, Colts, Jags, Rams which is probably six wins right there, five at worst. Plus they play us again and I doubt we win both games against them. Their toughest games will be against the 49ers and Texans, they could win both or neither.

So bare minimum I see them winning six of their remaining games and going 9-7. More realistically it's probably eight wins and they finish 11-5 and win the division, barring injury to Brady or something.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i could see the pats losing one of those games to the dolphins. just got that feeling haha

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Patriots fans, at least newer ones anyway, are not used to being 3-3. I remember years where 3-3 would have been a monumental achievement after six weeks, but I realize a good chunk of the NE fan base wasn't around for the Hugh Millen era. I'm 40 years old, so I've seen the extended view from the NFL basement.

Any time your team loses it sucks. Your job sucks a little more on Monday. Your wife's not as pretty as she was on Saturday. Your kids aren't as cute. A dark cloud kind of hangs over everything for a day or so. (Or, in the case of a Super Bowl loss, maybe a week or two.) But then at some point you realize it's only a sport you follow, and as much as you're emotionally invested, it's not worth letting something run your life when in reality you have no control over it!

I enjoy watching football in general, and rooting for the team I've rooted for since I was a kid. But in the end it's a game.

There is, most definitely, an expectation in our fan base that the Patriots will win almost every game they play. That's not necessarily just the fan base though. How often are the Patriots underdogs in Vegas? I think I can probably count on one hand the number of times they haven't been favored in the past four or five years. How many times do you see the experts picking against them? Again, not often.

Maybe they're declining, and 3-3 is what they really are. Who knows? But I look at the past few years and realize that for all the regular season success, they've got little to show for it. Maybe this is the better path anyway.

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It's like Yankee fans bemoaning their fate as they play in the ALCS for the hundredth time in a row. It's all relative. As a Devil fan I've seen it from the other side, until you get knocked down a bit it's hard to appreciate where you are or were.

18. Combustible Rextible

19. NewYorkEveryThing

Pats fans are like spoiled rich teenage girls.. Like that mtv show super sweet 16... If the team looses a few games ... Its why aint my benz the two door??? I don't wanna four door...WAAAAA.WAAAA..

20. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Nah, I really don't think they are on the decline. Just an unusual convergence of factors like tough games on the schedule bad breaks and uncharacteristic mistakes that we're not used to seeing from the Pats. I still see them as a 12-4 team at the end of the year. Whether that's good enough to beat teams like Baltimore and Houston in the playoffs...who knows? Depends whose got the hot hand at the end of the year.