Giving Credit where Credit is Due: Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sloup, Oct 14, 2012.

1. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

Greene had a great game today....ive killed him this season, but he was awesome today.....now if he really wants to win me back and a lotof fellow jet fans,goout and have a solid game in NE next week.

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

He did good, but I still want to draft a RB in an early round to start over Greene.

3. reverseapachemaster

It was good to see a mobile Greene on the field. Hopefully he keeps playing this way and it wasn't just an opportunity to look good against a soft D.

4. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

dont care who the opponent was. He had an extra gear and something more in the tank today. Almost as if he was going 60% all season and finally got the motivation to give us 90%. We'll see in the coming weeks if this was an anomaly.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was at the game and can attest that it was he first time all season where actual holes were opened for him to run through. I hadn't seen that all season - daylight in the line, mainly right up the middle.

So, while Shonn had a great day, I think other factors where at work here. Let's hope it continues. No, he didn't just "wake up" run blocking is important too.

6. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

He's a great pounder, he just needs to every now and then show some agility. I think that spin move blew everyone away, typically Greene would have been tackled but he made a nice agile play, that defender came in completely untouched.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

But Greene's just a pedestrian below average slow running back who goes down on first contact and never readjusts!! :O All Greene needs is decent blocking. This game pretty much proved it. We pretty much owned their D line this game. Props to the oline!

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Yes, Greene had a great day yesterday, and he does deserve credit and accolades for his performance. But Greene is what he is: a straightforward runner with little vision and usually goes down on first contact. The OL gave him gaping holes to run though. Bilal and McKnight also had good days, and McKnight only touched the ball 4 times on offense. The OL and the playcalling are just as much to credit as Greene.

9. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Too bad it takes a garbage run D like the Colts to make him look good. Can we play the Colts every week?

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Greene looked great and showed moves/vision that I didn't think he could pull off. He'll need more than just one great game to make me think he should be back next season. Still hoping Jets draft RB in the first two rounds next year & cut Greene. If Greene can put out these kind of performances for the rest of the season then I'd change my mind on drafting a RB. Not expecting Greene to consistently get 90 yards a half but I'd like to see the vision/moves he showed today more consistently.

11. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Hey brutha! Haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Shame what happened to the Shack....

And you're right. I think it was more bad D than good Greene.

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally I think Greenes biggest problem is the fact he looks for contact rather than trying to avoid contact for more yardage..If you watch him he actually seems to seek out contact...He's got an old style fullback mentallity, aka John Riggins (although not as good) where he just lowers shoulder and wants to wear down a defense. Which isn't what the jets need. They need him to make yards.

13. endydee

endydee Active Member

I think so too. Sure, Greene had his best game not only of the season, but it was also the best game of his career. I do think the Colts poor run defense played a huge part in that. I am still not sold on Greene at at, and expect him to start disappointing us once again. Hopefully, I am wrong. How many piss poor run defenses are left on the Jets schedule?

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

going against 3 top 7 rushing defense compared to the 25th rushing defense made greene look very good today.

His most glaring issue is still his inability or reluctance to avoid contact in the open field. On his longest run he decided to run over a colts safety...if he had just made a move he could have gains 5 - 10 more yards. I still see this is a concern...#1 back should be able to make a move. The fact that he spun out of a tackle near the goal line is head line news.

15. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

dude was a beast yesterday - seemed like his welcome party of the season...keep it up!!

he did good for me in fantasy =)

16. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

It wasnt just Greene breaking free today there was some huge holes for him to run through credit the O-line for his break out game. Yes he did play well and im not taking that away from him he had acouple nice broken tackles. but his lack of vision and cutting ability limit him on some carries.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Statistically their run D is better than ours. It's an average run D, not a garbage one. Ours is "garbage" statistically and we did much better against the run, than they did against ours, with Pou'ha and Ellis out.

18. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, but I also agree with the OP. The problem is that the NFL often puts too much stock in big single game performances and huge stock in players who show something for a couple games. I'm not saying that playing a couple good games doesn't mean anything, but that needs to be analyzed within the greater context such as opponent. Even Wayne Hunter looked pretty good for a couple games....

So yes, he saved his career, but he ran well against the Colts. Can he do it against a better, or even an average run defense. I hope so.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

This. Greene was a different player yesterday. I hope the old one stays at home. He was faster, had more burst, wasn't running with hesitation and even showed some wiggle. How can a player lokk so different? No, it can't be explained simply by the weakness of Indy's rush D, it was more than that.

He ran with confidence, with authority. That guy hadn't shown up this year until yesterday.

Bizarre, actually.

20. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

The thing that surprised me the most was yards after first contact in the Colts game. Dude is known for going down easily and he broke a lot of tackles on Sunday.