8-8 or 5-11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

LOL. Is Favre available?

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I get where the OP is coming from but the only time I think it's okay to prefer losses to wins is if you are in a full rebuild mode and there is someone like Luck to be had in the draft. I haven't followed this draft class too closely so I don't know if there is someone that is touted as a future superstar, but barring that I would rather go 8-8 and probably miss the playoffs.

It's not like a 5-11 record is going to get us the first pick anyway, Browns seem to have that locked up at this point. Plus there are 14 teams with an equal or worse record than what we have so it's not like we're the dregs of the league.

At this point I still think we can go into the bye at 4-4. After the bye our schedule gets a little bit easier and we may be able to win 5 games to bring us to 9-7 which may be good enough to grab the wildcard spot, it was last year.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That hasn't been the MO. Mangini not only got fired after a 9-7 season, it was a 9-7 season undermined by an injury to the QB, so clearly 8-8 isn't a record the organization is content with even if it is due to injures.

so, as I stated before, your entire premise is bullshit.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Eric Mangini is part of this regime?

Interesting.

I'll take my thoughts over yours after that one. Thanks.

5. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

You're joking right......hey he's joking right!??!?!

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We don't need a losing season to get a high draft pick. If we finish 8-8 then I'm sure Tanny will use a first and two seconds to move up the board. For a defensive end.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so, essentially you are basing your entire argument on nothing because you have no historical examples to back up your contention that they would be content with an 8-8 season. That is the absence of thought.

or are you basing it solely on the fact that this regime was not fired after last year's 8-8 and thus they will always be content with an 8-8 season? to come to that conclusion you have to ignore the context of last year, which was a season coming off two back to back AFCCG appearances, and wouldn't be the same as this year's 8-8.

again, that is the absence of thought.

I am more than happy to continue to watch you keep digging this hole of ridiculousness.

8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Exactly what I have been saying. If you look at the rest of the schedule only top teams will play are the Pats (twice) and the Chargers. Everyone else is a very winnable game.

Going into the season...we're were going to be 2-3 anyway. Every team we have lost to so far is statistically superior than us.

Calm down!

9. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

This is a pretty stupid statement. First of all, the fans are the 12th player on the field defensively. The level of enthusiasm in the crowd has a direct impact on an opponents offensive production. Extremely loud stadiums, and great fans have been factually proven to cause false starts and confusion in the offense, leading to more 3 and outs.

The NYJ are 2-3. A win this weekend puts them tied at the top in the AFC EAST. Do you want to know why the Patriots have been so successful over the past 11 years? They do not look forward to week 10 in week 5. They take it game by game. Its always about the next opponent.

You folks have some injuries,you have no running game, and your starting quarterback sucks. Instead of trying Tebow or McElroy out, your FO and coaching staff claim they are sticking with a QB that has a 48% accuracy rating through 5 games and they also decided to stick with a RB averaging less than 2 yards per carry.

Stop rooting for them to fail. If anything, you should be excited about how well they performed against perhaps the best team in the NFL despite the loss.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'll take 8-8 with the assumption that the young guns are showing us something good.

In NBA, it's so rare to draft a different maker if you didn't get good spot from lottery. In NFL, difference makers and great players can be picked up anywhere. Of course the odds are better when you draft early but not so much better that you need to constantly give up on lower picks to get there. Think this is the reason why NFL draft has become such a big event. There's been times where NFL draft even beats NBA playoffs on tv (when they play @ same time).

Don't see the reason to lose games unless you're in the 2-5 win category & there's franchise QB prospects incoming.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Patriots always seem to win a bunch of games at home despite having what is widely acknowledged as a pretty tame crowd.