This fan base could not handle a gutting and rebuilding era.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mantana Soss, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HOI

HOI Active Member

this fan base cant even handle moderate success...

again...this fan base doesnt have the balls to hang in long enough to develope a winner. Most would rather change coaches and QBS every 3 years. Some would perfer to do it a few times a year.

For example, say you could see into the future and realize that after this year...and 3 more losing seasons Rex would win a SB as a HC here. ...fact is he wouldnt make it till then. Look how long it took Cowher. He sniffed the SB for years until he finally got one.

Why? 1. Their fan base is loyal ...always shows up to the games and isnt a bunch of whiny cunts. 2. their owner is an old school football guy not some shit dick just looking to turn a profit and sell jerseys.

In closing....fire Rex, Tanny, Sprano, the ball boy, the kid that runs out to get the T after kickoff...have Woody sell the team...

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You do realize that you're really not saying a helluva lot with this golden age stuff. Mediocre for 12 years instead of sucking for 12 years. We're not exactly taking quantum leaps are we.. Like I said earlier, its all relative.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Not to interject... Hill has only played a couple of games, Powell and Davis it seems haven't impressed the CS since they haven't been playing much, considering who is ahead of them.

They may well work out, we can pencil them in, but too early to call any of them "Foundation" players.

4. jlee499

jlee499 Member

I totally agree with this... but we do want to be told what direction the JETS are going in. And, whether you want to call it 'rebuilding' or 'retooling', no matter, just do something to get us on the right path. :jets:

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Patriots 2015:

QB - Ryan Mallet
    RB - Stevan Ridley
    RB - vacant
    WR - vacant
    WR - vacant
    WR - vacant
    TE - Rob Gronkowski
    TE2 - Aaron Hernandez
    LT - Nate Solder
    LG - vacant
    C - Ryan wendell
    RG - vacant
    RT - vacant

DE - Chandler Jones
    DT - vacant
    DT - Kyle Love
    DE - vacant
    LB - Jerod Mayo
    LB - Brandon Spikes
    LB - Dont'a Hightower
    CB - Kyle Arrington/Ras-I Dowling
    FS - Tavon Wilson
    SS- Patrick Chung
    CD - Devon McCourty

Tom Brady is going to go away in a year or two and the Patriots are still going to have a roster that makes the Jets look pathetic by comparison.

6. Br4d

This is insulting. Many of the frustrated people right now have been fans for the Jets for 20+ seasons at this point. Many of us for 40+.

To suggest that we can't hang in with a bad team and weather the losing is just flat-out stupid.

I'm not willing to settle for second-rate any more and even when the Jets have been good this decade they had major flaws holding the team back, in talent, coaching and management perspective.

The reason I got all ranty last off-season is I saw the Jets sliding back into the morass, again. I saw them becoming an also-ran, again. The difference between this slippage and the last few is that I hold out no hope that the management team in place can prevent the slide, let alone reverse it.

This time around it is clear that the slide is because of the management policies and structures in place. Not only are the Jets built poorly to contend on the field but they are build poorly to contend on the management side also. We're seeing them make all the same mistakes again only this time they should know better because they've already been through two low talent cycles as a result of those mistakes.

A fish rots at the head first. That's where the Jets are right now.

7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

As much as I was happy to see Mangini leave, - there may be some credence for him having a place in the scouting dept and/or personnel.
    Everyone (including myself) has blamed him for the Vernon Gholston pick. In retrospect, there might be no one else to place sole blame for this but on Gholston himself. 100% of it. Everyone said the guy was going to be a player. Everyone mocked him that high. Conspiracy theorists abound about the PATS inquiring and tricking us into taking him == a lot of BS. The draft picks and the FA acquisitions during the Mangini era (sans the Brett Favre abortion nightmare awful horrible idea) are looking better than during the Rex era.

Maybe there is a place for the guy.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

@ Br4ad

^ again, this goes back to the Patriots having 90^2 draft picks every year and the Jets having 4.

I'm not sure why this not resonating with anyone? There is a fundamental problem with the win now mentality.

We all loved it while it was happening but now we are reaping the downside to this.

"Trade down" may mean a lot more this off-season.

The Jets need more picks, even if the argument is that the more picks you have the more busts you have, you have to buy a lottery ticket to win it.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That looks like an 7-9/8-8 team.

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

"again, this goes back to the Patriots having 90^2 draft picks every year and the Jets having 4."

So whose fault is that? Tanny traded a 3rd round pick for 1 single year of Brett Favre.
    Traded a 1st & 2nd for Mark Sanchez (among other things).
    Traded a 3rd & 4th for Shonn Greene.
    Traded a 3rd & 5th (and players) for Braylon Edwards and he only ended up playing 2 seasons for us.

I agree with you about this 2 picks for 1 player concept that is killing the team, but those of us who have been screaming for trade-downs on draft day are falling on the deaf ears of Mike T. ---- he's all about the trade-up.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

signing another wr delays hills developement and takes cap space away from another position of need.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Come on, I dread the draft any more because we just go after defense. We don't address the holes on offense: QB, RB,and RT. I was glad we got Hill, but we need a BALANCED draft and so far Tanny and Rex have not delivered in quality or volume of depth.

13. Br4d

The thing that's really frustrating is that usually the elite team is the one aging out as other people try to catch them up. We've been in second place for most of the decade and yet we're the team that is aging out while the Patriots complete a rebuild right in front of our eyes without ever giving up the top spot!

All they're going to need in a few years is a QB and a WR for him to throw too. The whole damn team is coming into line without them ever having to actually rebuild.

In the meantime we're floundering from project to proect with new bright shiny gizmos being tried out every year and then discarded like last year's toys.

I don't want to be sitting with a GM who was born and raised in Patriot country while that happens. That's just too smelly for my tastes even if it is just coincidence which it may well be.

There's a reason the Steelers and Ravens don't take each other's people.

14. Br4d

You're insane. Without any QB listed at all, just assuming an average guy, that's a 9/10 win team.

15. nyjunc

Tom Brady is that team. That team would go nowhere w/o him. He has 2 really good TEs(assuming grink doesn't implode by then) and what else? Why isn't the D very good w/ all that talent and a defensive genius running the show?

if that was our talent you'd be bashing them.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I agree that Jets scouting department is worth less than tepid tub of horse shit.

2. True, A jockey doesn't have to have been a horse himself.

3. But how about the organizational philosophy? Oh well - Woody Johnson doesn't have one, so it doesn't really matter anyway. (Either one should have a clear vision about how to build this team - I don't think either has a slightest clue.)

4. Just an example - Texans GM (Rick Smith) a. PLAYED football himself and b. worked as a coach, AND held a post in the front office later.

Trent Baalke? He was a scout for Jets (!!!) Then he climbed his ladder in that path, becoming personal scout -> national scout -> college scouting director -> director of personnel -> VP of personnel -> GM.

Rich McKay himself played QB (in high school, nonetheless), then started working as GM soon, once he got out of college (Princeton, that is.) - and he assembled a roster that featured 41 pro bowlers from 1997 to 2002. Now he is the president of the Falcons. Their GM, Thomas Dimitroff is the scout from Patriots. (Scout -> director of college scouting.)

I could go on and on and on, but I will stop. You should get the point by now.

Compare that to what Jets have. T-Bomb is a bean counter by large. I wouldn't mind Scott Cohen as GM instead, really. Jets did well to snatch him away from the Eagles - now it's time to put his talent to use.

#96 Zach, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. reverseapachemaster

Really? Look how many threads there are after each loss screaming for how we need to sign FA leftovers rather than develop the draft picks and new players we have. That's fans saying we can't develop week to week. How are those people going to cope with rebuilding from one season to the next, let alone multiple seasons?

18. nyjunc

Rick Smith became the Texans GM the same year Tannenbaum became our GM.

Jets: 3 playoff apps, 4 playoff wins, 2 title game apps
    texans: 1 playoff app, 1 playoff win, zero title game apps

do you give baalke the credit or harbaugh?

Rich McKay hasn't won a playoff game in Atlanta.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

This is one of the greatest Quotes that I have ever seen on this board. How many years must we reload with talent good enough to get to the playoffs and not win. We need a few years of a few good drafts to build around a Qb of the future. Unfortunately taking a step back to take two steps forward right now is needed. This was a great post!!!!!

20. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Much of this is true. And Jet fans would be patient, IF WE SAW AN EVIDENT PLAN! Many posters in this thread have pointed out the holes the team has. The problem is that those holes were there at the end of last season, and nothing was done over the summer to address them! It is unquestionable that this team has declined over the last 4 seasons. If we are rebuilding, or retooling, then fine, BUT DO IT! What did they do over the summer? Brought in Tim Tebow. You can't blame some of us for being skeptical.