This fan base could not handle a gutting and rebuilding era.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mantana Soss, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

We need 2 things. 1. An owner who gives 2 shits about his team, wants to win, and is willing to fight to win. 2. With the 4th overall pick, the New York Jets select Jarvis Jones.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@Jetaho

We haven't changed the management of this team since 2001. The same guys are running the show. We've just trotted a new head coach out there every 3-5 years to change the way the team looks. The music in the background has been the same tuneless hum, going all scratchy every few seasons.

We need new management.

The Jets are now 92-89 since Woody Johnson brought in Bradway and Herm in 2001. That's 12 years of mediocrity with a couple of bright flash seasons in the process and a couple of horror shows.

3. 100% agree w/ the OP. Whether we like it or not this team has very acute holes...and we are already in rebuilding mode. Can we still make a run at the playoffs? With Rex running the D...anything is possible. But something has to be done to conceal the disaster that is the LB corps.

As for moving forward, to me the areas need addressing are: QB, Right side of O-line, RB & the LB Corps.

I'm tired of all these soft warm weather California QB's. For once..the Jets need to invest in a big strong, field general who won't play scared at the first sign of adversity or the first sign of a pass rush.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

amazingly enough we've had our best decade of football in franchise history.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't want to throw comparisons, but Eli Manning has made himself a career out of being that heroic 4th QTR guy.

6. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

and is trending downward. No Super Bowl to show for it either.

7. nyjunc

all teams take a dip now and then, we still have a solid foundation to retool around.

8. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Well we disagree then completely. Next to the Jaguars, this is the worst roster in the NFL imo.

9. Br4d

And you're happy with that because you're accustomed to losing. Hamburger tastes great to you because it isn't squirrel meat on a bun.

I want steak. I got plenty tired of squirrel meat and the upgrade to hamburger doesn't make me grateful at all. It makes me want to eat some real meat for a change.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

What is that solid foundation exactly? An inept QB? No running game? An aging slow linebacking corps? No offensive gameplan whatsoever? A GM who has clearly drafted horribly?

Just trying to figure out where the solid foundation on this team lies.

11. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

If he replies well we have a good center then you know this team is a mess.

12. Br4d

The Jets have no solid foundation to build around at this point.

The team of 2015 looks like this at the moment:

QB - vacant
    RB - vacant
    RB - vacant
    WR - vacant
    WR - vacant
    WR - Kerley
    TE - vacant
    TE2 - vacant
    LT - D'Brick
    LG - vacant
    C - Mangold
    RG - vacant
    RT - vacant

DE- vacant
    DT- Couples
    DT - Ellis
    DE - Wilkerson
    LB - vacant
    LB - vacant
    LB - vacant
    CB - Revis
    FS- vacant
    SS - vacant
    CB - Cromartie

That's a terrible foundation full of dropout positions and JAGs who I listed as dropout poistions. Anybody who thinks Darrelle Revis is going to re-up here without the Jets throwing about $100 million his way is nuts. Revis is going to go get a ring somewhere just like Deion did. We're playing the Falcon's role in the Deion story here.

#72 Br4d, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Denny

Denny Active Member

I disagree. This fan base couldn't handle a winning season. It's so foreign to them. Most of the fans that witnessed Super Bowl 3 are dead or close to dead. Their numbers are few. For all the generations afterwards it's heart stomp after heart stomp.

I'd venture to say they are used to it. Kinda like an abusive relationship where the woman stays in through the typical rollercoaster of smack-downs and diamonds, anger and apologies. It becomes addictive.

So weather it's a re-build or a re-tool it is all too familiar. And they welcome the change because it spurs hope or faith or whatever you wanna call it.

14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Other than Stephen Hill and maybe Harris and/or Davis and that's probably spot on. Scary stuff.

15. nyjunc

does the sun ever come out in your world?

we have a QB, C, LT, TE, multiple WRs on O to build around. On D Coples, Ellis, Mo, Harris, Revis, Cro. That's a good start for any team.

16. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Good to know that Hill, Davis, and Powell are already busts.

How many foundation players is a team supposed to have? I'd like to see this 'Team of 2015' done for a few other rosters.

17. Br4d

I hate to break it to you but Stephen Hill is not likely to be what we hope he'll be. He doesn't have good hands and he doesn't use his size and speed to as much advantage as he could. I think his upside at this point is maybe a 50 catch guy for 650 yards and 8 TD's as his average season. That's the upside.

18. Mantana Soss

Yep, we are indeed in the golden age of Jets football, right now. Find me a better 12 year stretch, Br4d

19. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

I agree with the positive sentiment for sure and you've got some good points - I think we do have some young talented players on this roster with excellent potential. My main concern is in our questionable evaluation of talent though. This is most obvious in
    1. Our LB - they're getting old and are no longer every down, dependable players (possible exception of Harris)..so why did we think we were ok here going into this season?
    2. RB - I wanted to believe Shonn Greene would be a 12-15,000 yard a season back. But he's not up to it. Why did they think he was?
    3. D-Line: It's too early to judge and they have shown some potential for sure but the Ellis, Coples, Wilkerson combo 'need to step up' as Gruden kept saying the other night. How good are these guys? The level of reliance on early draft picks goes up every year as the talent from college keeps getting better. I'm also concerned about us getting hit and hope players in this area instead of saying 'here's our 12 sack a season guy'...
    J.J. Watt was number 11 overall in 2011 - they're not all going to be like him for sure but the difference between his impact and the guys we've picked up...it's hard to have faith in the rebuild when we seem to continually draft average players (trying not to bring Golston into this...)

20. Mantana Soss

way way too early for that.

Hands can be fixed, size and speed can't be taught. The guy already has good body control, he can be coached up.

You really think his CEILING is a 40 yard per game player?