Cannizzaro (and anonymous NFL expert) Nails It: No Talent

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Oct 10, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

The Jets lost Revis the second half of the Bills game, where their defense then began to implode and let up a ton of points. He then came back for the Dolphins game (he missed the Steelers game, which we lost) and played 3 quarters or so and we managed to win.

We looked like shit and didnt deserve to win, but we did. We play the 49ers the following week, where we lose Holmes. We also lose the game in horrid fashion... 34-0.

Point is, we haven't "thrived" at all losing Revis and Holmes. We havent won a game that both of them havent played in. Thats not stepping up and thriving.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I didn't say we have thrived, I said name me the teams losing their best O and D players that are still thriving.

3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 New Member

It's not the O-Line that needs to be fixed. I've said this in I don't know how many different threads, but I'll say it again: Bilal Powell has no problem running the ball and picking up 4-5 yards a carry (on average). Greene can't do that. He stinks and has got to go.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

You know why we should know we aren't that talented? Just look at the Texans games where guys we picked up off the street were not playing so bad on the offensive side. Guys like Greene, Connor, Holmes half the time, and even Keller were not giving us a much better offense then we saw last week. Very little additional bang for a lot more bucks. Belicheck at least goes after Woodhead-type players for virtually no cost to them. Point is that we spend too much money on guys who are not that good.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Oh yeah, 2-3 is thriving.

Here's why the Jets are 2-3 right now.

On opening day they faced a head coach who had exactly the wrong idea about what to do against the sputtering Jets offense. He had his pass rushers play the run almost exclusively for the first half. He put linebackers in run-blitzes that were easily picked up when Sanchez was actually throwing the ball and he played a cover-1 behind them, limiting the number of defensive players in space.

Sanchez thrived on the opportunity to complete short passes against much less pressure than he should have faced and also with fewer players back in coverage. Chan Gailey basically handed the Jets the game by having the wrong game plan on defense. It was a game plan that played to all of Sanchez strengths and covered up his weaknesses.

Against the Fins the Jets got the gift of a misfiring FG kicker who missed several FG's that would have won the game for them.

This Jets team should be 1-4 right now and might well be 0-5 if they hadn't faced the Bills and the Fins and had idiocy and inaccuracy on full display in the opposing game plan.

6. BJXX

BJXX New Member

[/QUOTE]What we need is a RB. Greene isn't cutting it. We need someone who can make people miss even occasionally and break a long run. In order for Greene to get a 20+ yard run we would need defenders to be falling or a huge hole.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Green is looking more like a fullback every game. A speedy HB would be a game changer. We need speed.

7. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Yea, Green is looking more like a fullback every game. A speedy HB would be a game changer. We need speed.

8. nyjunc

I didn't say we were thriving, I asked what team could lose the best defensive player in the game and their best player on O and could thrive w/o them?

we COULD be 3-2 too but we are 2-3.

at Mia their K missed 2 near 50 yd FGs, we also dropped an easy TD pass but that gets ignored in your anti Jet world, right?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No, the dropped easy TD pass is part of why the Jets could be 0-5 right now. The Jets have dropped a fair number of easy passes and a few kind of tough catches already this year.

The scary thing about this year is the Jets have gotten lucky to be 2-3. The injuries are horrible but all 3 losses were on the merits against superior teams and the two teams they actually matched up well enough against both contrived ways to hand the Jets the advantage, which the Jets then ran with.

10. nyjunc

so we can whine we should have lost whena Ki misses near 50 yd FGs but not use the same excuse when our guys drop TDs?

how were we lucky to drop a TD in Miami? how were we lucky they screwed up the fasano challenge? how were we lucky that watt tipped those 2 passes?

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I really like our new Punter , he is better than what we had.

12. Bannon

Bannon New Member

If they can hit on Stephen Hill and Coples, that will help. If they miss on those two . . . . the sting will linger.

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think the safeties they brought in, coupled with the fact that Cromartie really does seem like a #1 corner to go with Revis, went a long way. Landry is pretty young.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Crack reporting there guys!
    No longer on team from Sanchez' rookie season to now: Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Plaxico Burress

Currently Hurt: Holmes, Hill - a project, Keller

OL: Wayne Hunter - a disaster, Matt Slauson - no great, Ducasse - waste of a pick

RB: Greene - 2.9 avg, Powell, Grimes, McKnight - don't get a show because Ryan thinks Greene is the best think since butter and is loyal to a fault to his guys

15. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Bingo on the "talent evaluator" comment. There is no shortage of football talent in this country, you just have to look.

Most suits, even some small brained coaches, get caught up in certain metrics (and the hype), and chase starlets while overlooking real talent.

Look at the top players in the NFL, and then look where they were drafted, or if they were drafted at all!!

Newton, Luck, RG3 were top picks. But what about Brees, Brady, Welker, Gronk (the entire Patriots team!), Cruz, Schaub, on and on.

16. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

By my count, we need upgrades at about 12 positions on offense and defense,
    and that number could be higher depending on what we decided to do with the two veteran safeties.

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

yes, they nailed it...how on EARTH did they come to that conclusion. LMAO

18. patfanken

patfanken Banned

No question you lost your best defensive player, but Holmes is only your top offensive playmaker by default. Compared with the real offensive playmakers in the league his stats are less than average. His 650 odd yds last season makes 60 other receivers more productive. The ONLY thing top rate about Holmes (except for one season) is his paycheck and ego.

Hell Junc in just one play Cromartie got better separation than Holmes did most of last season. Maybe he really is the best WR on the team :wink: He certainly was Monday night

19. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The Pats should never be used as an example of talent evaluation. They are blatant cheaters. Everyone they have is good there and crap elsewhere. Matt Cassell isn't a gem, he just sucks, yet was unstoppable on a team that knows what play is being run against them.

The Jets do lack talent, and they lack athleticism. What kills me is how many draft picks are from garbage programs and conferences. This team hasn't drafted a Florida player (Miami FSU UF) in years despite the constant value those kids bring. They throw away picks on trash while other teams sit back and pick up Aaron Hernandez, Major Wright, Jimmy Graham, and Lamar Miller.

20. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

<The Jets have drafted 21 players since 2009 and not one has emerged as an impact league-wide star who has even remotely been a part of a Pro Bowl conversation.>

Not coincidentally, this was right around the time Mangini exited. Hire him back as head of quality control Mike T., unless you're looking forward to uprooting your wife and kids from New Jersey.