Holmes Injury

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 30, 2012.

1. AlbanyJets

AlbanyJets New Member

A player can "give himself up" by sliding down or kneeling down. Crumpling to the ground while fumbling has never had some "official" standing as giving yourself up.

This exact play happened last week in the Saints/Chiefs game. It was a fumble in that game, too.

The "giving yourself up" rule also has never been to invalidate turnovers. It's to prevent hits on a player who's taken himself voluntarily out of a player for whatever reason. Since Carlos Rogers didn't hit Holmes (obviously, quite the contrary) it's not even relevant.

There's been a couple times where a rookie receiver has caught the ball and gone to the ground himself and then, forgetting he's not in college ball anymore, thought the play was over and tossed the ball aside. That has always been a fumble. That's the exact same thing in terms of act as what happened with Holmes...the fact that Holmes turned out to be injured doesn't change anything.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Apparently you didn't watch the game on TV. Mike Peirera the former head of the NFL officials said the refs blew the call. No offense dude but I'm gonna take his word over yours. He also said he didn't think the Epps play was a catch as he didn't make "a football move"

3. AlbanyJets

AlbanyJets New Member

Pereira said that the officials had a lot of things to look at, he never said that the call was wrong, that I recall. The main thing he mentioned is that it could (note "could") be considered an illegal forward pass, as something to look at.

4. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Anyone that thinks he was "giving himself up" by falling to the ground is having their judgement clouded by their love of the Jets. IMO

5. Barry the Baptist

I thought I heard him say the call was wrong. I can't rewatch it but maybe my recollection was cloudy. I also remember the "illegal forward pass" thing but thought to myself how could that be but I guess when I think about it I guess it could be.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

How can a player fumble the ball when his knee hit the ground before the ball came loose?

Just answer that question.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

He did not come out and say that the call was wrong, but he did say that if the player makes no effort to get up they could whistle the play dead. He said at the very least they could have called it an illegal forward pass.

Knowing that he was injured, and it was obvious, they should have whistled it dead. However, it is a moot point given our play.

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

It isn't college! they need to be touched down, and he was never touched.

9. Barry the Baptist

In the grand scheme of things I thought the fumble they called on Epps was worse and much more costly.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I thought it was pretty classless the Niners recovering that and running it back. Could have booted it out of play since it was obvious Holmes was hurt. Kaepernick's slide at the end balanced it out though, so I'm not grumpy about it any more.

11. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

I may look like an idiot but I can see him pissed cause he slipped threw the ball out of frustration then fakes he's hurt to cover it up. He was grabbing his knee now its his foot?? Test shows nothing wrong with foot. Guess we will find out after MRI

12. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

yea look a Cruz spike he was never touched. Said he gave himself up. But when plax did it as a rookie it was a fumble.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

right and peirara was laughably incorrect about both plays. LOL.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Because he wasn't touched...just like he can fall to the ground and get back up and run it in for a touchdown if he is not touched.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

so you think teams shouldn't take advantage of a turnover when the opponent has a sprained foot and brain farts the ball away? that is certainly an interesting interpretation of the game. :rofl::rofl:

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It invalidated Cruz's or some Giants WR turnover last year against ARZ even though they tried to get up and run afterwards. So yeah very inconsistently called rule and this might have been the actual time to call it

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Hopefully he's ok, I doubt it but I hope so.

It amazes me how officials can look at replay and still get calls wrong. That play and the fumble by Epps both should have been overturned. It's not why we lost but it is so frustrating seeing officials blow calls, this is why the replacement refs didn't bother me b/c they real ones are just as bad.

18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Did Cruz sideways tumble onto the grown and throw the ball 10 feet into the air like a child having a temper tantrum? No. No he did not. Selfish play by Santonio Holmes once again.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Epps call was terrible. I thought Holmes was a fumble though.

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, I thought the same thing (maybe still do). I think this is in fact an issue. The fan base has lost so much faith in Tone; being a stand up guy, that we will jump to this conclusion. That in itself is a problem, we have no faith that our 10 + Million $ reciever thinks about anybody other than himself. BLOW THIS MOTHER FUCKER UP; clean house but keep Rex. Let the player know that THEY are the ones who are accountable. Like Buck Shoelwalter, if you dont play the "Oriole way" you ride the pine. What does this "play like a Jets" shit mean?