Woody is the new Wilpon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Served......

sad but true.

2. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

If you think Johnson is anything like Wilpon, you're a damned fool.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

From 2008 to 2010 no owner in football spent more money than Woody Johnson to try to improve the team. To expect that to continue indefinitely was wishful thinking.

The problem the Jets have now (just my opinion) is that all of the cash that Woody spent has covered up the fact that the people running the talent side of the organization just aren't that good. We didn't find talent post-2007 that matched the contributions Woody's wallet was making.

Now the money has dried up as it should have given the realities of spending a huge amount on veteran contracts in a short period of time. There's very little young cheap talent on the roster to make up for the loss of all the veteran free agents and we're not going to spend like that again for years.

On the bright side, Woody is going to have to go get better talent finders now. He can't afford to cover up the mediocrity of the ones he has with big cash infusions any more.

4. Section316

Section316 Active Member

I'm glad someone noticed this too. Tebow basically lined up in the shotgun for that "punt".

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They have no money..they had none last year and they have none now..the 6 million they are under the cap they have to hold on to and carry over to next year to have any chance to put 53 bodies on the field. And yeah that is all Tannenbaum's doing.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think Woody makes ONE HELL of a good Q-tip. And don't even get me started on Shampoo. Woody is God.

7. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

Don is such a terrible poster it actually makes my brain hurt. Easily lives up his moniker of Least Knowledgable Poster.

8. Don

And your response is as ignorant as your posts. If you think the Jets have money then show where it is instead of making sissy remarks.

9. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

It's not about whether or not the Jets have money this year (they don't). Besides, they will next year as a lot of bloated contracts are coming off the books.

It's more your idiotic assertion that Woody is the next Wilpon that baffles me. Woody has done nothing but spend resources to make this team competitive, and has done so relatively well in the time he's owned the time. The Wilpons are cheapskate imbeciles who have completely destroyed their franchise and commingled their personal financial problems with those of the Mets. Moreover, they are stubborn as hell and refuse to sell a team they know can't remain financially solvent nor competitive in the intermediate future. For that they are terrible owners and don't even belong in the same sentence as a guy who has gotten the Jets to two consecutive AFCCGs and has made them competitively relevant virtually every year under his ownership.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure why putting the blame on Tanny absolves Woody of anything. Doesn't Tanny serve at the owner's pleasure?

11. Don

Ok. let's show where this is wrong...

You are right, the Jets have no money they can afford to spend this year (6 mil actually)

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

They are 20 million over the cap next year for only 35 players...(count them, the rest are FAs)

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

What is the cap next year? Read any of these..about 121 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ry-cap-could-cause-carnage-in-nfl-next-season
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/0...cap-projection-as-it-relates-to-the-steelers/
    http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/16...rollover-cba-seahawks-pete-carroll-paul-allen

There are 1000, just like..just search for 2013 nfl salary cap..

Now look at who the Jets can cut..

Jason Smith, Bart Scott, Eric Smith and Calvin Pace...that is about 31 million and will put them about 10 million under the cap...but wait that is for only 31 players and they have to get to 53..rookie salary is about 500k next year and they are 21 players short..they can carry over the 6 million they have now and that will help but they can't spend anything..

Oh and that doesn't include re-doing a Revis deal although that might not happen now...I don't feel like going through the exercise now but take a look at who those 16 FAs are and the 4 they will cut and see what kind of team they will have..

You think everybody else will want to renegotiate their contracts? Why would they to be on this team?

Wow and I just read your remarks...where the fuck did I say Woody is like Wilpon...you aren't even replying to the right person with your asinine comments.

#31 Don, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. Don

Yes, but I think Woody puts too much trust in him because at one time he really was good with contracts.

#32 Don, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  13. BleednGreen247

Woody is not the problem, Tannenbaum is

One of the worst GMs in the NFL.

14. dvda31

dvda31 New Member

Wilpon and Woody both seem to have zero knowledge about the sporting teams they own. It doesnt seem thats a recipe for success. Sucks for the Jets-Mets-Isles fans bc all 3 owners are brainless wondertarts

15. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

helluva post, surprised no one else gave you props.

16. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

Woody has done his part as an owner to help this team. You cannot say he hasn't been aggressive by putting money on the table for his staff to go out and get the players. Something the Wilpons haven't done. Yes I agree he doesn't know the ins and outs of football management but that's what the GM is for. And sadly our GM hasn't done a great job. By seasons end I really do think Tanny is getting the boot and I hope so. Time for a guy who knows football and not some accounting guy.

17. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

+1
    (repost)

18. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

A player will renegotiate a contract if it makes financial sense for them. They will most likely convert part of Mangold's salary into a signing bonus that will save 2.4 million. That makes sense for both sides They could also extend Harris or Cro a year or two and save on the cap that way too. Both players could end up with more guaranteed money. Its all about the money.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We're going to do something with the cap, we gotta add some speed and youth to this team

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thank U for your honesty! :smile:

It took lots of courage to move from your strong homerism position to a realistic position. :smile:

I find your post 100% to be on the money as well :up: